It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Lpr ruining my life....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
alex12
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Lpr ruining my life....

Today I had a full blown panic attack...the globus tight throat feeling was so bad and my breathing was bad so I started hyperventilating, sweating etc... I cannot take this! I have no energy and just wan to lay down all day... Talking to anyone is a challenge. Will this end?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Seeking Sunrise
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User
Re: Lpr ruining my life....

Hi,

I remember feeling like that in October and November 2010. I didn't even know this kind of sensation existed, never heard of it, and suddenly it was my thought every waking moment.

I went on this healthboard site and read a lot of horror tales, because often, there are two types of posters on healthboards.

1. Those who just had something happen, and are panicking, trying to figure out what to expect.
2. Those who have had something for a long time and are just used to it, and use the forum to get and receive tips on managing it, and maybe a little just for the good old voyeurism.

What I observed, which I hope will encourage you, is that you can actually watch people move from stage 1 to 2. They go from being the panicked globus sufferer to the person who just finds whatever they have to be an annoyance. I think though, in my experience and that of many others, it's not just because you get used to something. It's mostly because it will get better over a few months even if you don't do anything to try to heal.

The main thing I suggest is just eating and drinking whatever you want, especially if you don't have accompanying heartburn, but I don't think everyone here would recommend that. Just do what you can to endure while it goes away. Remember this above all: It sucks, but it can't kill you, and everyone thinks this will never get better, but 99% of the time it does.

Globus can't kill you. Panic can't. So realize it's just a sensation, and nothing more. In fact, an actual serious medical problem probably doesn't even exist except as a damaged or overactive nerve, or some minor reflux. It just FEELS like the end of the world for a bit. Hang in there. Look at any of the people who've been using this for years. They never ever sound as desperate as they do in their first posts.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:53 AM   #3
Seeking Sunrise
(male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User
Re: Lpr ruining my life....

Hi.

I just noticed you aren't new. You are taking some tranquilizers and such. Maybe you want to get off of them if they are just making you more nervous. Try beer. It worked for me.

Also, I know something happened in your throat. Like mine. It's something real. But despite it being real, anxiety makes it seem way worse than it actually is. Keep in mind, the sensation is heightened by anxiety so what you are feeling is not what is actually happening.

In my case, it just got better. Lyrica helped during the early months. Try to avoid swallowing. And hyperventelate through pursed lips to take your mind off it when it's bad. Also, feel the muscle at the side of your larynx. If it feels hard, that is what is causing the globus. Just a harmless muscle. Keep that in mind.

That's about all the advice I can give.

Closed Thread