It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Anyone on Prilosec for a long time? Feedback appreciated.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
jeffries9
(female)

jeffries9 HB User
Anyone on Prilosec for a long time? Feedback appreciated.

I have read all the side-effects of Prilosec and am now scared to continue on it after 28 days, when it helped. I took 2 days off and got heartburn, so today I am back on it. I'm very nervous about continuing it but have not asked my doctor about it. When I first got it I asked the pharmacist and he didn't act like it was a big deal to take it along with Spiriva, Advair and blood pressure meds etc. Has anyone been on it for a long period of time? Also I read the Spiriva and Adviar causes heartburn, so it's a viscious circle now. I do sleep elevated to aleviate the hearburn also. I'm very nervous, scared and confused and wonder if I should continue the Prilosec due to the side-effects or am I being paranoid? I think pharmacists know more about side-effects than doctors. Feedback appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Anyone on Prilosec for a long time? Feedback appreciated.

Hi,
When I was prescribed Nexium I was told to give it 6-8 weeks. In my case I was only on it for one month as I felt better without it.
If it is helping you then you should stay with it. I have a friend who has been on it for a year and half. You should see your Dr anyhow for a follow-up review. If you decide not to continue, wean of it gradually by halving the dosage or one every other day. (dont go cold turkey) or you will feel worse.
Hope this helps and all the best,

Solofelix.

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
jeffries9 (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

1 month really isn't a long time. The biggest reasons NOT to take Prilosec are:

-Nutritional deficiencies. May start to appear several months to years after you start taking it. Supplementation may help.

-If you are overweight, stomach meds may allow you to continue to overeat, instead of learning to listen to your body's signals.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Coralocean
(female)

Coralocean HB User

Hi there, I have been taking the generic Omeprazole Magnesium (Prilosec) for ten years. Before that I had severe heartburn and acid reflux, it has been a miracle drug for me. Sadly I can't stand more than one day without it. I have had no side affects that I am aware of.

Best Wishes

Old 01-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
melkon
(male)

melkon HB User

I was on prilosec for nearly 15 years. It was a miracle drug for me, gave me my life back. Kept me 95% symptom-free. No side effects except I do believe that it eventually gave me IBS, which sucks but was still worth it if it's true.

I was planning on staying on it forever. Unfortunately two years ago it stopped controlling my symptoms. Since then I've tried all the PPI's except Nexium, and none seem to really work anymore (although the doctors keep telling me people don't build resistance to them). I will probably try Nexium, and if that fails me then I may have to reluctantly consider surgery.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
Coralocean
(female)

Coralocean HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melkon View Post
I was on prilosec for nearly 15 years. It was a miracle drug for me, gave me my life back. Kept me 95% symptom-free. No side effects except I do believe that it eventually gave me IBS, which sucks but was still worth it if it's true.

I was planning on staying on it forever. Unfortunately two years ago it stopped controlling my symptoms. Since then I've tried all the PPI's except Nexium, and none seem to really work anymore (although the doctors keep telling me people don't build resistance to them). I will probably try Nexium, and if that fails me then I may have to reluctantly consider surgery.
I hope Nexium works for you as everyone is different. It never worked for me like Prilosec. I was offered surgery a while back for this but was too scared to try it. If the Prilosec stops working I will do surgery in a second ...I cannot tolerate the pain of acid reflux, especially on top of the other pain I have.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
jeffries9
(female)

jeffries9 HB User

Thank you so much, it relieves my mind because it has worked very well for the last 30 days or so. I will continue taking it.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
palmtreegirl
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

I have been on prilosec 80 mg a day for about 8 years. My doc prescribed it when I was diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus. It has keep everything under control with no side effects until recently. I have become pretty anemic. PPIs interfere with vitamin absorption. I will probably need to find iron and fit B12 that are absorbed somewhere other than the stomach.

Closed Thread