It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Anyone have experience with Fiber and GERD

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
cook53
(female)

cook53 HB User
Anyone have experience with Fiber and GERD

I thought I would ask this question due to a problem I am experiencing. I have GERD, Hiatal Hernia and chronic gastritis. I have also been put on a anti depressant for Panic Disorder. Due to the HBP med and this anxiety drug I now have constipation. So I uped the fiber content, eating homemade granola for snacks. Now, I am experiencing back shoulder pain to the point that I cannot sleep on my right side. My GB has already been removed so I am wondering if FIBER is not my friend! I have sleuthed the internet for a diet for the above condition but I guess it is a individual thing in that what one person can tolerate another cannot. Just wondering if any of you have luck with a diet _what to avoid-and what to eat. My GI just gave me Prontonix. Which is 20mg daily. I am thinking it is the granola because it happens about two-three hours after eating it. I really thought I was doing a good thing for my overall health. Guess I will have to rely on adding Miralax to my daily meds...any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. You guys are the best with advice and help. This pain usually last twelve hours once it comes from midafternoon until the early morning hours. I was scoped in July so I really don't think they would do it again. Seems to have started about the time of the granola and cereal (Rice chex and Cherrios) Thanks agaiin. Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
KosmoKramer
(female)

KosmoKramer HB UserKosmoKramer HB User
Re: Anyone have experience with Fiber and GERD

Fiber makes my GERD worse. I think it makes my stomach too full and inflames my gastritis. I too take Protonix but I think it makes me constipated and I feel better interstinal no taking it. But then my acid reflux gets bad. I have stopped eating cereal and breads and get my fiber from fruits and vegetables now. Way better feeling. I am going to ask my GI doctor for a different PPI.

The following user gives a hug of support to KosmoKramer:
cook53 (01-29-2012)
Old 01-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
pattypan
(female)

pattypan HB User

have any of you tried ACV apple cider vinegar...its alkaline to the body. Kevin Trudeau's book What Doctors don't want You To Know, might help with info...I've had two friends cure their GERD with ACV. Good luck

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
annie42
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User

Hi, Yes, I've tried the ACV for my gastritis to no avail I'm afraid. It does work for some, for some it does not. It's a trial and error for everyone I guess.

For a while, I could only eat oatmeal and dry whole wheat toast - now, it activates the gastritis. It helped keep me regular. I was also taking stool softeners each day until my GI told me I had a red area in the stomach due to stool-softeners or laxatives...I never take laxatives so it had to be the stool-softeners.

<removed>

Blessings,
Annie

The following user gives a hug of support to annie42:
JJ (02-02-2012)
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
KosmoKramer
(female)

KosmoKramer HB UserKosmoKramer HB User

I tried and tried Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar and it has never made a difference. I was so hopeful too and disheartened when it didn't help me. I am so glad there are some people that do benefit from taking it.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I also have trouble with fiber! I've been told it's because my stomach moves slowly (gastroparesis) which means that food and stomach acid just kinda sit there, and cause reflux and inflammation.

Look into a gastroparesis diet. It helped me a lot. When I'm really bad, about all I can eat are white starches, egg whites, and fat-free dairy products, with maybe a little apple juice or banana smoothie (no whole apples). Now, this is NOT a nutritionally adequate diet! So I live on that for a few days, until I start to feel better, then I gradually introduce more foods, including cooked vegetables.

Old 01-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
cook53
(female)

cook53 HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I have often wondered about the gastrophesis thing. Not sure just what that is-but will look into the disease and advice for its treatment.
Gavin, I have read about the Manuka honey and wondered if I used it straight would it cause an issue with my problems. I thought about mixing it into greek lowfat yogurt. While it is expensive, if it works who cares, right? I have been on the many PPI"S...Nexium, Dexilant, Prilosec, and now Protonix. But am very reluctant to stop them now-while the issues seem to be so active. Stress is a huge factor right now in my life. And am now on a antidepressant to help which it seems to be doing. Anyway, what is this mixture that you use with the honey-cannot say I have heard of it. I am open to try anything for relief.
I realize what triggers one person-may not trigger another. Bananas seem to not be my friend. I have secured a copy of "Dropping Acid" by Dr jamie koufman. It seems knowledge driven and very interesting so far. Using the logic of low PH foods. Using foods with a PH under 5 for two weeks. I am thinking of giving this a try.
Anyway, enjoyed all the comments from all the followers and thanks again.
Janet

Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 AM   #8
annie42
(female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User

Gavin, you said, "Here is the bad news on your anti-depressant - a trigger - I can copy you on the research if need be."

I would be very appreciative if you would kindly send a copy. I take alprazalom for anxiety/depression.

Is raw, non-pasturized honey helpful for GERD sufferers? I think I'll try your brand. Hopefully we have it at our local health food store.

Thank you kindly,
Annie

Old 01-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
cook53
(female)

cook53 HB User

Hello Gavin,
I too have done the acpuncture route and it did help with the anxiety and helped resolve some of the stomach issues. However, finances dictated me stopping the acpuncture as insurance did not cover any of the treatments. I went for over 25 tx's.
I will look into the site you sent in the prior post. At this point, I am willing to give most anything a try. As for the anti depressant, well right now that is not an issue in the discontinuing of it. I am trying to get thru the loss of both my parents all within six months of each other...yes, it has been a mentally, physically, and emotionally trying eight months for me.
But I am praying that something helps.
Thanks again,
Janet

Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #10
flipfleury
Senior Veteran
(female)

flipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB Userflipfleury HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook53 View Post
I thought I would ask this question due to a problem I am experiencing. I have GERD, Hiatal Hernia and chronic gastritis. I have also been put on a anti depressant for Panic Disorder. Due to the HBP med and this anxiety drug I now have constipation. So I uped the fiber content, eating homemade granola for snacks. Now, I am experiencing back shoulder pain to the point that I cannot sleep on my right side. My GB has already been removed so I am wondering if FIBER is not my friend! I have sleuthed the internet for a diet for the above condition but I guess it is a individual thing in that what one person can tolerate another cannot. Just wondering if any of you have luck with a diet _what to avoid-and what to eat. My GI just gave me Prontonix. Which is 20mg daily. I am thinking it is the granola because it happens about two-three hours after eating it. I really thought I was doing a good thing for my overall health. Guess I will have to rely on adding Miralax to my daily meds...any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. You guys are the best with advice and help. This pain usually last twelve hours once it comes from midafternoon until the early morning hours. I was scoped in July so I really don't think they would do it again. Seems to have started about the time of the granola and cereal (Rice chex and Cherrios) Thanks agaiin. Janet
I have acid reflux,Chronic constipation,and IBS for years. I have learned the hard way that poor diet,not enough water intake,and poor bowel habits are the main reason for constipation but medications can cause it as well . If you tend to have constipation anyway and then add medications that just makes the problem worse. You have to be extra vigilant to make sure your bowels move on a regular basis. This is what I have found works the best for me to keep my bowels moving on a regular basis: 64 oz. of water a day or more when you increase your dietary fiber to 25-30 grams a day,taking a fiber supplement at least twice a day like Metamucil or Citrucel , a regular scheduled time to sit on the toilet for 30 minutes to have a bowel movement every day. This usually works best 20-30 minutes after eating a meal because it helps to kick in the peristalsis(colon contractions.) One of the best and easiest methods to have a pain free bowel movement is to do slow deep breathing exercises continuously while sitting the toilet for 30 minutes. Not only does it relax your mind but it helps to relax the rectal and anal muscles which in turn helps you to have a bowel movement without straining and forcing the stool out. I am fifty years old and have had constipation problems all my life an know how painful it is to have to strain and force out stool that is large,hard,and dry. I now know I can't allow myself to go without moving my bowels more than 24-36 hours. If it does go beyond that then I use a glycerin suppository to soften the stool so it won't be so painful to go. The only reason now it goes beyond that 24-36 hours is because I got lazy about my morning routine to take the time to move my bowels. I wish I didn't have to be so mindful of when was the last time I moved my bowels and could go like most people do without much thought and time spent thinking about it all the time. Most people would think I am obsessed with my bowel movements but if you haven't had to deal with this painful condition of being constipated all your life you couldn't possibly understand what it is like. Fortunately I don't have any problems with gluten intolerances so I can eat fiber.

Closed Thread