It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Tiny Specks of Blood from GERD?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
thegush
(male)

thegush HB User
Tiny Specks of Blood from GERD?

Anybody experienced this? A few nights ago I coughed quite hard and a tiny amount of blood came out in the phlegm when I spat it into the toilet bowl. I hadn't been coughing at all before, but I'd definitely seen a slight flare up from what appears to be GERD. It's not yet diagnosed, but I'm going for an endoscopy soon and the doctors seem fairly certain it's GERD, given the fact things such as my blood works came back clear etc.

It hasn't happened since, but I've read that esophagitis as a result of GERD can cause sufferers to occasionally spit up a little blood if they happen to cough particularly hard.

Another question, does anybody experience a swelling of lymph nodes in the neck because of GERD? I'm sure it's all linked, but it seems a little strange. I feel in reasonable health despite the difficulties I've been having, so I'm not worried as such about the swelling of lymph nodes in my neck, it seems to wax and wane with the arrival of GERD symptoms, so it seems it could well be the cause. Generally the swelling happens in the tonsillar nodes and the cervical nodes.

I'm seeing a doctor again tomorrow, with my endoscopy for the 15th Feb. Interested to see where it takes me... would really like to not have to go to the doctors any more though, I'm on first name terms with everybody at the surgery thanks to having been diagnosed with Ulcerative Proctitis not long ago.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
Silas1066
(male)

Silas1066 HB User
Re: Tiny Specks of Blood from GERD?

I spit up some blood the other morning, but then discovered it was from my nose. The nose was so dried out I was getting nosebleeds in the morning.

The blood may not be from your throat. Is it winter where you are?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
thegush
(male)

thegush HB User
Re: Tiny Specks of Blood from GERD?

It is winter, yes, and we're in a bit of a cold snap here at the minute.

The blood was enough to change the colour of the phlegm to a slightly red colour, but not to permeate it. You may well be right that it came from my nose because there was a taste of blood at the back of my throat after I... "snorted" and "hocked" in an attempt to clear my sinuses.

The swollen lymph nodes are of more concern though, given where they are. Obviously the appearance of blood is worrying, but it was such a small amount and hasn't happened since that I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Will mention it to the doctor today.

Closed Thread