It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

6 days post nissen - eating questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
amansterling
(female)

amansterling HB User
6 days post nissen - eating questions

Hello everyone! I had the laproscopic nissen done on Jan. 30th 2012. I came home from the hospital the next day and my doctor told me I could start with the soft mechanical diet.

The pain hasn't been too bad and seemed to be getting better everyday until yesterday. I was on toradol and stopped taking that the night before last so I am assuming the increase in pain might be due to an increase in swelling that was being controlled by the toradol, over all the pain is still relatively mild as I have only taken 400 mg of ibuprofen in the last 24 hours.

I have some questions about foods though as my stomach seems very temperamental at the moment. I have been able to eat only tiny amounts (probably not more than 1/4 of a cup) at a time. I have tried scrambled eggs, heavily diced chicken in broth, couscous, cream of wheat, avocado, and smoothed mostly. Last night I had some vanilla pudding and almost immediately got cramps and indigestion. I had diarrhea last night and this morning. I am assuming that my stomach is just not up to dairy at the moment. Has anyone else had this problem. What other foods would be good and mild enough to eat right now?

Thanks for reading!

The following user gives a hug of support to amansterling:
MountainReader (02-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: 6 days post nissen - eating questions

Why on Earth are you taking ibuprofen? I would use tylenol or prescription pain relievers only, ibuprofen is far too harsh on the stomach. If the pill got stuck above the wrap, you could wind up with a major erosion in your esophagus.

My doctor said liquids ONLY for two weeks. (Yes, I was unbelievably hungry all the time. I woke up hungry, I went to bed still hungry, I refused to go places where I might have to watch people eat, but I survived.)

Yes, I have had trouble with dairy since the surgery, and I tolerated it FINE before. Now that my digestive system is getting back to normal, I'm doing better with dairy again.

When I started on food again, I did mashed potatoes, squash, yogurt, and (believe it or not) jarred baby food! The 4-ounce jars were the perfect size for someone who was out of the habit of eating, and the tiny jars of beef were great, because I had a hard time chopping/bending meat fine enough in my kitchen.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: 6 days post nissen - eating questions

According to my doctors, it takes at least 8 weeks for all of the swelling to subside in the stomach after surgery. I had a few GI issues post surgery and my GI doc told my stomach was still "angry" at me for what had been done and it would take a while for it to calm down.

It is amazing how different surgeons are with what they recommend post-surgery. My surgeon said no solids AT ALL for the first 2 weeks. Not even smoothies with strawberries due to the seeds. I stayed on liquids only for the first couple weeks with mostly clear liquids in the early days. I didn't start the soft mushy solids until the 2 week mark and regular solids until 2 weeks after that. I avoided solid meat and bread until the 3 month mark.

My recommendation is to take your journey carefully and if you have troubles with any foods, avoid them for a while before adding them back into your diet.

As for the pain, it should gradually get better. They did a lot to your system and it has a lot to recouperate from.

Take care,
MountainReader

Closed Thread

Tags
nissen fundoplication