It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Water makes my reflux so bad!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
lele97
(female)

lele97 HB User
Water makes my reflux so bad!!

Why?? So what is good to drink. Bizzarely drinking something fizzy seems to help?

Lele x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Water makes my reflux so bad!!

Honestly, it varies a lot from person to person. For a lot of us, soda, especially caffeinated soda, is bad.

Have you tried natural lemonade? Or just water with some lemon in it?

Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
lele97
(female)

lele97 HB User

No but I shall. What is ok to eat?? In having a huge flare up and my omeprazole just isn't cutting it!

Lx

Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It really depends. Foods like onions or mint can be triggers for a lot of people, as can anything high in fat.

Lowfat dairy products are good, unless you have any lactose intolerance. Some people do well with veggies and whole grains, others do better with a low-fiber diet. When I have a flare-up, I might eat bread with egg whites.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
lele97
(female)

lele97 HB User

Thank you Jane. All this only started a year ago. I've had an endoscopy and all that the dr said was gastritis and a small ulcer! Duno why I have this or why it flares up. So annoying.

Lx

Old 02-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Obsidian99
(male)

Obsidian99 HB User

I have the same issue with water. For me, it is all liquids. My suggestions are this:

1- Try drinking only on an empty stomach. I drink lots of water about 20 minutes before I have meals, and then I don't drink anything with the meal or afterwards. The timing of when I drink is important. When there is any food in my stomach, the water flows back up. When my stomach is empty, the water goes down (mostly).

2- At night, I make sure not to have even a sip of water at least 4 hours before I try to sleep. Then, just before sleep, I take 3 Metamucil capsules with as little water as I can take to swallow them. It takes 10-15 minutes for the metamucil to absorb all the liquid in my stomach and turn it into a gel that does not reflux.

When I discovered this, it was like an answer to a prayer. Suddenly, I was able to sleep again without anything coming up!

It is a challenge to learn not to drink when you are thirsty, and I sometimes cheat (and pay), but NEVER drink after you take the Metamucil. That needs to be the last thing that goes in, because if you drink after the gel is formed, you will reflux.

I hope this helps.

Remember, with water (non-acid reflux), the trick is timing when you drink.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
lele97
(female)

lele97 HB User

Thank you! That's really good. I'm in the uk wonder if I can get them here?

Old 03-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
CMinor83
(female)

CMinor83 HB User

Yes, water causes me to forcefully burp over and over. I could not understand why at first, but now I see it is due to reflux. I am trying not to consume liquids with meals anymore: only exception is hot soups, which help me digest my solids and aid in swallowing.

Closed Thread