It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Endoscopy in doc's office?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
zuzu8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Endoscopy in doc's office?

I've been getting heartburn on and off for years and Tums always took care of it.
It's become a little more frequent now and I am going to make an appt with my gastro doc.

Am pretty sure he will want me to have a simple endoscopy. Are these ever done in office? Or is anesthesia involved and therefore it would be a hospital out-patient procedure(?)

zuzu

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Stretch1one
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: Endoscopy in doc's office?

Your gastro will have several options for you there's the barium test or even the upper GI or simple endoscopy as you called it the barium can be done in the office and so can the upper GI but the upper GI you will have to schedule he will do it at his office as a out patient you will need a driver they lightly sedate you there's a whole little process to go though but it's not hard to do a little spooky at first but I have a lets just say a few all gerds related it's really not bad at all once you go thought it your gastro may want to put on a PPI first since your only taking tums at this point have you taken any over the counter heartburn meds?

Old 03-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
zuzu8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for your reply Stretch! That answers my questions. I've occasionally taken OTC Zantac and Pepcid but found they took too long to work- whereas just one single Tums nipped it in the bud for the rest of the day. Now, I am finding that I have to take Tums 2-3 times a day. Drats. I'd better not ignore it. Otherwise feel fine and dandy.

zuzu

P.S. Last time I saw the gastro (for something else) I mentioned the heartburn in passing and he gave me some samples of Aciphex (sp?) which worked like a dream. At that time he said, if the heartburn gets worse, we should do an endoscopy.

Last edited by zuzu8; 03-01-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: ADDED A P.S.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Stretch1one
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

Just be aware that if the gastro want you to take some PPI type meds research them first there are a lot of side effects that go along with them that sometimes may not out weight taking them for I have have no choice and need to take one just a little food for thought good luck and let us know it goes at he gastro

Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #5
zuzu8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank's Stretch! I am a compulsive medical "mavin" from a medical family (lots of doctors and books around my whole life!) so you can bet I'll be doing research!

The following user gives a hug of support to zuzu8:
Stretch1one (03-02-2012)
Closed Thread