It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

GERD/ACID REFLUX symptoms out of control - please help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Kmom2
(female)

Kmom2 HB User
GERD/ACID REFLUX symptoms out of control - please help

Hi. I have been diagnosed with GERD by my family doctor but I still havent been given the proper tests (endoscopy/barium swallow).
I have been prescribed Ranitidine that I took for 4 months, and now I am on Pariet my symptoms had gotten worse. I've been taking this for 1.5 months and still no change.
My symptoms are mostly severe chest indigestion after I eat anything. It doesnt matter if its just a banana, or a meal. And the indigestion makes me feel short of breath which then makes me lightheaded/dizzy.
Does anyone else feel this way? Or does anyone think that it might be something other then Acid Reflux/GERD?
And is there any advice that anyone can give me, because i feel awful 24/7.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
boobootwo
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: GERD/ACID REFLUX symptoms out of control - please help

i have acid reflux too and ranitidine never did a thing for me. i'm thinking of trying pariet because it's cheaper than what i'm taking now....dexilant. i can't understand how your doctor can diagnose you without at least a barium swallow. i think he's assuming since you have all of the symptoms. you should have the test done to confirm anyway. as far as the dizziness and lightheadedness....are you sure you're just not getting a bit anxious because of how you feel, cause anxiety can cause the dizzy and lightheaded feeling too. my mother had gerd bad and used to vomit with it, but only because she had what they call a lazy l.e.s. can't remember what the words are but it's the little flap that opens to the esophagus and because it was lazy, she would get acid backup into her mouth and it would make her sick. anyway...hope this helps and if you get bad attacks, try taking gaviscon before bed. it really takes the edge off.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Kmom2
(female)

Kmom2 HB User

Yeah i think that the dizziness might have something to do with anxiety. My doctor told me that I have anxiety from worrying about whats wrong with me, and told me to dont worrry about it. But when the symptoms keep getting worse, its kinda hard not to.

Im booked for the proper test in may, so hopefully i'll find out then.
Are you able to eat well?? Because everything I eat, and as soon as i eat, I start feeling the symptoms.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
boobootwo
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

i've had to switch to a very bland diet, no pop, low caffeine, no coffee, nothing spicy or acidic. just bland and boring...but i'm used to it. by the way...the fact that you worry can make reflux flare up too. nothing to worry about. it's certainly nothing that's going to kill you, so r-e-l-a-x.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Sophiegirl123
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

I started having acid reflux symptoms when I was giving a medicine for back pain that messed up my stomach. After having EGD (which was normal) and trying, double doses of almost all the PPI's I changed doctors since I was just feeling worse and had lost 35 lbs. The new doctor said it was all from stress and worrying about what was wrong with me. I also started to have panic attacks.
He told me to stop all of the PPI's and eat healthy, drinks lots of water, exercise and control stress and anxiety. It is hard to control your anxiety when you have heartburn pretty much 24/7 though. Now I am going through acid rebound which is not fun but finally seems to be calming down. I take Xanax in the morning when my stomach starts to hurt and that has made a big difference. I also listen to relaxation tapes and that also helps.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #6
boobootwo
(female)

was that medicine, some type of nsaid or anti-inflammatory? i could never take those cause they eat your stomach if you don't take them with food. what are PPI's?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Sophiegirl123
(female)

Sophiegirl123 HB User

Yes the med was Lodine and I only took it for 3 days with food and it was horrible. PPI's are proton pump inhibitors. prilosec, nexium, dexilant, etc...

Old 03-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
PrincessLexie
(female)

PrincessLexie HB UserPrincessLexie HB UserPrincessLexie HB User

Hello, my GERD became chronic after taking PPI's (Protonix) and those meds did more damage on me than help me (but they do work on some people), so I am now trying natural remedies and I am starting to feel better after 11 days. Last week was terrible and I couldn't eat and had lost my appetite, lost 5 pounds but this week I am finally feeling better... And I am now eating healthy things (oatmeal for breakfast, my meals for lunch and dinner includes veggies or salad and I am avoiding fats and thinks that trigger heartburn). It's a long process I think since I took the PPI's for 2 years but I believe that the natural medicine with actually cure this, not just treat the symptoms like the h2 blocker and ppi's do. Now (15 day ago) I was told that I have a weak sphincter and esophagus dysmotility which surprised me because I never had dysmotility symptoms before that test and after the test I did but I think that it is psychological, I am hoping that it all was because of my anxiety and I am trying to help my sphincter get stronger with what I am taking. You should ask your doctor if you should try natural remedies (my doctors and I had an arguement over this), and try to eat smaller meals that include healthy things, there's many lists online of what you can eat and what to avoid. I wish that you feel better. I know how you feel, it's terrible but we have to be stronger than GERD!!!

Some natural remedies that might help: Aloe Vera juice, honey, apples, green tea.
You should do some research on those and try them, that's how I started but since mine was so bad (and still is but I have to be positive and I will overcome this) I finally went to a naturopath and I am not taking herbal remedies. Good luck!!

Last edited by PrincessLexie; 03-07-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
nygirl68
(female)

nygirl68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessLexie View Post
Hello, my GERD became chronic after taking PPI's (Protonix) and those meds did more damage on me than help me (but they do work on some people), so I am now trying natural remedies and I am starting to feel better after 11 days. Last week was terrible and I couldn't eat and had lost my appetite, lost 5 pounds but this week I am finally feeling better... And I am now eating healthy things (oatmeal for breakfast, my meals for lunch and dinner includes veggies or salad and I am avoiding fats and thinks that trigger heartburn). It's a long process I think since I took the PPI's for 2 years but I believe that the natural medicine with actually cure this, not just treat the symptoms like the h2 blocker and ppi's do. Now (15 day ago) I was told that I have a weak sphincter and esophagus dysmotility which surprised me because I never had dysmotility symptoms before that test and after the test I did but I think that it is psychological, I am hoping that it all was because of my anxiety and I am trying to help my sphincter get stronger with what I am taking. You should ask your doctor if you should try natural remedies (my doctors and I had an arguement over this), and try to eat smaller meals that include healthy things, there's many lists online of what you can eat and what to avoid. I wish that you feel better. I know how you feel, it's terrible but we have to be stronger than GERD!!!

Some natural remedies that might help: Aloe Vera juice, honey, apples, green tea.
You should do some research on those and try them, that's how I started but since mine was so bad (and still is but I have to be positive and I will overcome this) I finally went to a naturopath and I am not taking herbal remedies. Good luck!!
i just got diagnosed with GERD last week in was in the hosptial and got the colonosphy and other tests they go down your throat, before i went into the hopspital i would wake up nauseus all the time. Now i just have heartburn all the time,its terrible. Plus i get palputaions at night alot. Anyone else get this? If I take the med prescribed by gastronologist my heart races..not sure if its cuz I am on other meds though. So does anyone get the tightchest pain once ina while or the paps?

Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
boobootwo
(female)

yes..chest pain is common with gerd, and even back pain. not sure about the palps...you might just be a bit nervous at night because sometimes that's when the gerd is worse. have you raised your bed at the headboard? if your heartburn is really bad, take gaviscon. just check with your doc to make sure you can mix them. you can take gaviscon with most of the ppi's.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Kmom2
(female)

Kmom2 HB User

I really have learned a lot from different websites about this condition, and it seems that everyone has the heartburn, but I dont.
I've read that green tea (decaf) is good for acid reflux/gerd, but it gives me terrible heartburn... and if I just have a bite of chocolate, the same thing happens.

When i was taking ranitidine, it was somewhat getting under control week by week, but then I had a miscarriage (i had gerd before getting pregnant) and ended up having a D&C where they inserted the tube down my throat during the procedure. After coming home from the hospital that day, thats when the acid reflux/gerd flared up and til now, havent slacked.

As for shortness of breath, I know that my anxiety is whats triggering this. I have to learn to get it under control.

Hopefully everyone starts feeling better soon.

ALSO, i'm tired of the same ol same ol boring food.... does anyone have any recipes?
I usually have a banana & 1 whole wheat toast w/ p.butter for breakfast; something light for dinner, and a chicken breast w/ rice or vegetables for supper......
any advice is good advice!

Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #12
nygirl68
(female)

nygirl68 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobootwo View Post
yes..chest pain is common with gerd, and even back pain. not sure about the palps...you might just be a bit nervous at night because sometimes that's when the gerd is worse. have you raised your bed at the headboard? if your heartburn is really bad, take gaviscon. just check with your doc to make sure you can mix them. you can take gaviscon with most of the ppi's.
I cant prop my headboard up I dont have one.. where do you get gavison...and want to know what? this hasnt started till after the gastronlogist went down my throat with the tube. and i started taking theses heartburn meds..i think they are giving me the paps

Old 03-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #13
boobootwo
(female)

you can raise the head of your bed by putting books or blocks under the posts or wheels. sorry....you probably don't live in canada. maalox might be available were you are. these are just antacids...tums help but not as much. these products have calcium and magnesium in them and the magnesium coats the stomach and maalox has an anti-gas feature in it also. you can ask a pharmacist in your country. i honestly don't think your meds are giving you the palps....i still think you're just anxious about your condition.

Closed Thread