It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Post-Nissen Symptoms

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Obsidian99
(male)

Obsidian99 HB User
Post-Nissen Symptoms

It has now been 5 days since I had a laparoscopic nissen fundoplication. The surgery went smoothly, and I'm healing very nicely with little pain.

I have a follow up with my surgeon in 5 days, but I'm having symptoms that I wanted to ask this board to see if anyone can provide me some information.

I had bad reflux before the operation. I was convinced that the reflux was the cause of other symptoms, namely: I needed to clear my throat all the time, and I would taste food for hours after I ate. My throat had been producing an extremely large amount of mucus, that I was often bringing up (and then having to spit out).

Since the surgery, I am free of reflux, but the other symptoms are still present. I still have to clear my throat and am suffering from excessive mucus in the throat. I still taste food in the back of my throat for as long as 2 hours after eating it.

I was comforting myself by postulating that the reason for my symptoms now is that the food is not going down my esophagus completely (especially as I am on a liquid diet, of course, having only just had my first cream-of-wheat last night - best cream of wheat ever!)

I am now not so sure that this is the reason for the symptoms. They really feel the same as they did before the surgery.

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy that I'm not getting reflux; but I'm very distressed that I'm still suffering, and now I have no idea what is the cause.

Has anyone had the surgery and experienced these symptoms afterward? Anyone have ideas whether this will go away, or if I had the surgery and gone through all of this only to get relief from one of the symptoms?

The following user gives a hug of support to Obsidian99:
MountainReader (03-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User
Re: Post-Nissen Symptoms

Glad to hear your surgery went well.

I can't speak to your symptoms directly since mine were different. I will say that LPR can take a while to heal. Did you have a throat scope prior to surgery? If it was inflammed, it might take a while for it to heal up since that area is so sensitive.

It sounds like your timeframes for food are different than mine. My surgeon kept me on liquids only for 2 weeks. I didn't start "soft" creamy food until after the second week. He wouldn't even let me do a strawberry smoothie because of the small strawberry seeds. I basically stayed to clear liquids the first week, then introduced additional liquids the second week. I didn't introduce solid meats and breads until almost month 4.

I did have problems with belching post surgery. I talked to my surgeon at my follow-up and he said that I probably had air that wasn't making it past the wrap and was coming back up. It could be that you have a bit of your food doing the same. My GI doc said it takes about 8 weeks for most of the stomach swelling to completely subside post surgery and your stomach may be "angry" at you for a while because of the trauma done by the surgery.

You could call your doc or surgeon if you are really concerned, otherwise you might want to give it a bit longer before really becoming worried. Your body has gone through a lot and needs to heal.

I'm not sure this helped, but I'm happy to try to answer any other questions you may have based on what I learned through my experience.

Wishing you well.

MountainReader

Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Obsidian99
(male)

Obsidian99 HB User

MountainReader,

It is helpful just to have someone who's had the surgery reply. I'm trying not to get too disappointed with my ongoing symptoms until, as you say, I give it enough time.

I was planning on liquids only for a couple of weeks, in large part because I had read prior posts from you! However, I was instructed differently by my doctor, and of course, I've opted to follow his timeline. It is far better to have prepared myself for a longer time-frame of restricted diet and to have been surprised in a good way

Anyway, again, thanks for posting a response with your experience!

Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
MountainReader
Facilitator
(female)

MountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB UserMountainReader HB User

I understand pleasant surprises. I had wrist surgery 4 weeks ago and was told I'd have a long arm cast. I woke up with a short one. Talk about pleasant surprises.

I think my surgeon was more conservative than most. Your timeframe seems more in line with others on this post.

You may need to just take it slow and see what foods work for you initially and wait to add others as you heal when you find they aren't for you.

Cream of Wheat sounds good. Your post made me want to go out to buy some for this weekend.

Closed Thread