It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

choking and uncoordinated contraction of esophagus

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
redjb7
(female)

redjb7 HB User
choking and uncoordinated contraction of esophagus

Finally had a barium swallow test. Since July last year I have been having episodes of either upper chest fullness or mainly feeling of choking or something in my throat (although I felt like I was swallowing ok). The year before I had a few upper gi tests for Gerd, that showed some acid, but not dangerous. So, finally the ent did this test and I found out I have acid and this uncoordinated contraction of esophagus. Don't know exactly what that means and what and if there is a treatment. Have been reading these boards - is this the same as esophageal spasms? I see him in three weeks - he had told me before the test to take caffeine out of my diet - and peppermint (the gum has always made my throat open and feel better) and to lose some weight.
I guess it depends on what king of spasm it is as to how it should be approached? I am going to try the magnesium, the peppermint oil (which is against what he said) and taking out the BAD foods. Any other suggestions or information?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
boobootwo
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User
Re: choking and uncoordinated contraction of esophagus

redjb7. he's telling you to cut out caffeine and anything minty because they cause more problems for your reflux. i had to quit drinking coffee because when i did i would end up in the hospital with severe stomach spasms. anything minty can cause the same or different reactions in different people. i would listen to your doctor until you've completed all of your testing, if i were you.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
redjb7
(female)

redjb7 HB User

Thanks for you reply boobootwo. I am going to continue what the doctor said, but I wish I understood what this diagnosis means. Does anyone understand the terminology?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Basically, when a person swallows a mouthful of food, the muscles lining the walls of the esophagus contract in a wave, forcing the food DOWN into the stomach. In you, apparently, this doesn't always happen correctly, causing difficulty swallowing.

Soft thick foods like yogurt or vegetable purees might be easiest to swallow, until you get more answers.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
redjb7
(female)

redjb7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Basically, when a person swallows a mouthful of food, the muscles lining the walls of the esophagus contract in a wave, forcing the food DOWN into the stomach. In you, apparently, this doesn't always happen correctly, causing difficulty swallowing.

Soft thick foods like yogurt or vegetable purees might be easiest to swallow, until you get more answers.
Thanks for the info! However, I do not have trouble swallowing, so I was surprised at this diagnosis. I have been able to eat anything with no problem. When I am not eating I often feel, however, like I am choking or there is pressure on my upper chest or throat.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
boobootwo
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

janewhite1 has it right.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

That feeling in your upper chest may be the food getting stuck partway down your esophagus. That actually is considered a swallowing problem.

There may be medications that could improve your condition, though I'm not sure which they would be. Possibly medicines to treat nerve problems?

Meantime, like I said, find foods that go down easier. Also, take small bites and chew thoroughly.

Closed Thread