It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Diagnosed w/ LPR - Biopsy shows Eosinophils

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
jjmcv
(male)

jjmcv HB User
Question Diagnosed w/ LPR - Biopsy shows Eosinophils

Hello everyone,

I won't bore you with the details but I have been a complete mess since late December and have ultimately been diagnosed with LPR. I had an upper endoscopy last week and just received results of the biopsy today which showed presence of eosinophils in my esophagus.

My doctor states they usually represent reflux, but could be indicative of eosinophillic esophagitis. Everything I'm reading online however, indicates the latter usually brought about due to a food allergen. And odd too that this disorder is most prevalent in children (I'm 34).

So what I'm curious about is - is it possible to have the eosinophils solely from reflux or does there presence guarantee EE? Is it possible I've developed a food allergy at this age?

I will of course discuss with my physician as well. Just trying to get a feeler and see if there's anything else I should be asking him as well.

Thanks everyone, and if you're experiencing the symptoms I have been you've got my sympathies. As if the ailment wasn't bad enough the restrictive diet is a real bummer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Diagnosed w/ LPR - Biopsy shows Eosinophils

Yes, it is possible to develop food allergies as an adult!

I suggest you go to an allergist and get blood tests for food allergies. If your symptoms are caused by an allergy to one food, the cure might be as easy as removing the food from your diet.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
jjmcv
(male)

jjmcv HB User

Thanks Jane. My co-worker also just mentioned that your allergies change every 5 years. I had no idea.

I just came across the following online "While a patient with GERD may have some eosinophils in the esophagus, a diagnosis of EE is based on a high number of eosinophils and a pattern of changes in the esophagus that often look like rings or furrows." I guess my only question now is what do they consider a high number of eosinophils? My biopsy stated "up to 40 /high power field".

Doc wants me to continue PPI's & H2 blocker for an 8 week duration, I guess to see if it is effective or not. I was previously on just one PPI daily for 8 weeks which did not help. I'm starting to think I may have EE and not LPR though I do have that acidic phlegm in the morning. Maybe I have both?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
boobootwo
(female)

boobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB Userboobootwo HB User

i have gerd and had to change my diet entirely. found i could no longer drink coffee...had to give up all cruciferous foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts etc. no chocolate, spicy foods, fried foods and a lot of others that i can't eat. so basically, i have a very boring diet, but....it works for me. allergies can come up anytime in your life. some will stay with you and others will no longer affect you. i could never wear silver jewellry until about 2 years ago. i would break out in eczema. now....i can wear it all the time. our bodies are really different as we go through different stages in life. i decided to have a coffee a few years ago...after i had quit drinking it for years and ended up in the hospital with severe stomach spasming, esophagitis and an ulcer. all that from one coffee...geez....i know how you feel. all you can do is kinda test yourself with small amounts of different foods and see if they bother you. hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
jjmcv
(male)

jjmcv HB User

Well 3 weeks now on a strict diet and increased med regiment (2 ppi's daily, one H2 blocker at night) and my symptoms are definitely decreasing. Chest pains still occur though with decreased intensity and duration. Because of this I'm thinking it's probably LPR and not EE. But, I'll just have to wait and see. Would desperately love to eat like a normal human being again.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Glad the medicines are helping. As for the diet, you really do get used to it after a while!

Closed Thread