It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Who has had a 24 hour PH monitoring test?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
ro47
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User
Who has had a 24 hour PH monitoring test?

I'm going to an ENT soon and I am wondering if he will order this ph test. Has anyone had it? It sounds uncomfortable. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Tandem Rider
(male)

Tandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB UserTandem Rider HB User
Re: Who has had a 24 hour PH monitoring test?

I had the 24 hour pH test before my TIF surgery and again 4 months after surgery. It is not bad or as uncomfortable as it looks. The probe was inserted while I sipped water. After it was in place I could only occasionally feel it at the top of my throat. Sometimes I could feel it pull when I swallowed food. After 24 hours the probe was removed and the data evaluated by a computer to determine the DeMeester score. My DeMeester went from 28 to 5.8 (normal) with the TIF surgery.

I my opinion, it is the best way to determine if someone has acid reflux. I had 5 endoscopies before the pH test. The endoscopies showed little evidence of reflux but my pH test showed severe reflux.

Good luck,
Sheldon

Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
janewhite1
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

I had the 48-hour Bravo test before my surgery. Wasn't bad. I was lightly sedated, lay down for a nap, and when I woke up, the little meter was inside of me. I was aware of it for the first few hours, then the next day I didn't notice it. I just had to carry a camera-sized electronic device around with me for the next 48 hours and record when I ate and when I had symptoms.

Go for it, it isn't bad and the results are extremely useful.

Last edited by janewhite1; 03-21-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
momof5kidz
(female)

momof5kidz HB User

I will be honest. I endured this test around 4 weeks ago, barfed on myself several times, but manged to survive it. LOL After the main probe was removed, I tolerated the 'permanent' one going in. My body was exhausted!

I may have a manometry test soon, and this is just like the ph impedance test.

Kudos to those who managed to control their gag reflex while undergoing this hateful test.

Old 03-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
JanaJ
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

I've had it done twice. The first time was worse. They gave me water to sip to try and swallow the tube down, but what happened was that I kept throwing up. I was better the second time doing it dry. It's still not nice though. I had the one tube down for the manometry and then a second tube down for 24 hours. During the 24 hours you're supposed to eat and drink normally, but I didn't much feel like eating as I could feel the tube the whole time, but I tried my best so the test would be valid.

It's a good test to have done and it doesn't actually hurt you, it's just uncomfortable having someone stick a tube up your nose and down your throad. They do spray some anaesthetic, which helps. All in all, if I had to have it done again it wouldn't be so bad because I know the worst.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
chicago310
(female)

chicago310 HB User

I had this test done last August and had a similar experience as the other posters. The first manometry tube is far worse than the one that you need to keep in for 24 hours, so don't freak out when you feel the first.

The worst part of the 24 hour impedance BY FAR is the insertion of the catheter, so at least you get to get that over with early. When they tell you to sip water as they put it up your nose/down your throat, sip fast! The more/faster you sip, the less you will feel it. I didn't gag/throw up and typically have a bad gag reflex, so that was a relief. In the beginning of the day, all I could think about was the tube and I struggled to talk without feeling like I was choking. However, as the day went on, I got far more used to it and was even able to sleep pretty easily. Be careful as you eat since the food can make it feel a little like it's tugging. Just remember that the worst is over soon and from that point, it gets better. I'm a 17 year old girl who hates this kind of stuff so if I could handle it, I'm sure you can too!!

Closed Thread