It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD Not Responding To Medicine, Any Advice For A Teenager?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #1
    chicago310
    (female)

chicago310 HB User
    GERD Not Responding To Medicine, Any Advice For A Teenager?

Hi,

I've had GERD symptoms (chronic heartburn, excessive salivation, frequent hiccups, uncomfortable swallowing, nausea, occasional vomiting, etc.) which are extremely exacerbated by exercise for a few years now. I started taking Omeprazole (20 mg before breakfast, 40 mg before dinner) a year and a half ago and it's barely helped my symptoms, if at all. I had an upper GI endoscopy last spring which was normal, an esophageal motility test this summer which revealed a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES) thus indicating GERD, and a gastric emptying study which just came back normal as well. I'm only 17 and am not a drinker or a smoker, and I understand it's rare for someone my age to have such intense symptoms. I am a two-sport varsity athlete, so I frequently come home from practice feeling really sick with GERD symptoms and its certainly worsened lately (could be due to stress) which makes homework and daily life difficult, especially in the evening.

Recently, I got back an EKG possibly indicating Wolff-Parkinson-White so I'm waiting for further results from my holter monitoring for the verdict on that. I doubt that's related, but just thought I'd mention it in case I'm missing some kind of connection.

I'm considering switching meds to another PPI or H2 blocker or something. Any other further advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
    Re: GERD Not Responding To Medicine, Any Advice For A Teenager?

Hi, welcome to the board. I'm sorry you are having such trouble so young.

Unfortunately, medication only reduces acid, it doesn't eliminate it, and it doesn't make a weak LES stronger.

Try switching medications. Some people find that Prevacid or Dexilant are more effective than Prilosec. But if you try a few other drugs and they don't work, you may want to consider surgery.

Because you are so young, I would not want you to endure the long-term risks of esophageal damage from GERD or suffer the long-term side effects of PPIs, such as nutritional deficiencies.

I had GERD for years. (Started at 24, I'm now 31.) For a while, it was mostly controlled with PPIs and diet, then it stopped responding, and I would have two hours of symptoms just from eating a little breakfast. Finally, last December, I had a procedure called Nissen Fundoplication.

I spent one night in the hospital and one week at home taking it easy. After that, I was able to exercise and work, but I was restricted from doing heavy lifting or intense abdominal workouts for one month. By far the worst part of recovery was the diet. Liquids only for two weeks, then baby food for two weeks, then "soft" foods for two weeks. I wasn't allowed bread for two months.

It has dramatically reduced my reflux, I'd say 90%. I can do yoga again, without having to stop so I don't throw up. I still follow a GERD diet, but now I actually feel decent most of the time. I have 5 small scars on my upper abdomen, just below the bottom of the ribcage, but they don't bother me. The surgeon tells me I should be able to have babies without any problems. I just have to wait a few more months until I'm back up to my ideal weight.

Definitely, try more than one medication before you try surgery, because it is a permanent change to the way your digestive system works. If you do think about surgery, talk it over with your family a lot. Make sure you find the best surgeon in your area, preferably one who does this exact procedure several times a week. Your gastroenterologist can probably recommend one.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
    liljeremy089
    (male)

liljeremy089 HB User

PlEASE READ ....
    Hey my name is jeremy i have been dealing with acid reflux prob for 7 years and i am only 22 years old ... It has effected every part of my life. I have horrible anxiety and panic attacks, sharp chest pains, sean mutiple g.i doctors, tookin about 7 diff. medications, tryed exercising, i am only about 6 pounds over weight so it has nothing to do with me bieng heavy. There are a few things you can try that have helped people in the past that i am currently trying. Try to go to a chiropractor. Seriously, it will help you feel great everyday. Dont eat chocolate dont eat any tomato products, pay attention to what triggers it and stay away it. Also try not to eat couple hours before bed to keep your acids from building up ... I will keep posting in my profile everything i try and how much it helps

Old 03-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
    melissa smith
    (female)

melissa smith HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chicago310 View Post
    Hi,

I've had GERD symptoms (chronic heartburn, excessive salivation, frequent hiccups, uncomfortable swallowing, nausea, occasional vomiting, etc.) which are extremely exacerbated by exercise for a few years now. I started taking Omeprazole (20 mg before breakfast, 40 mg before dinner) a year and a half ago and it's barely helped my symptoms, if at all. I had an upper GI endoscopy last spring which was normal, an esophageal motility test this summer which revealed a weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES) thus indicating GERD, and a gastric emptying study which just came back normal as well. I'm only 17 and am not a drinker or a smoker, and I understand it's rare for someone my age to have such intense symptoms. I am a two-sport varsity athlete, so I frequently come home from practice feeling really sick with GERD symptoms and its certainly worsened lately (could be due to stress) which makes homework and daily life difficult, especially in the evening.

Recently, I got back an EKG possibly indicating Wolff-Parkinson-White so I'm waiting for further results from my holter monitoring for the verdict on that. I doubt that's related, but just thought I'd mention it in case I'm missing some kind of connection.

I'm considering switching meds to another PPI or H2 blocker or something. Any other further advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
    melissa smith
    (female)

melissa smith HB User

try elevating your head at night and apples,apple cider vinegar,licorice root,marshmallow root and papya enzymes and aloe vera.

Closed Thread