It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Low or high acid , what do you think ?.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
IWILLGETBETTER
(male)

IWILLGETBETTER HB User
Low or high acid , what do you think ?.

This has been driving me mad for months now so I'd appreciated any comments to help me decided what to do next. These are the symptoms of low stomach acid I suddenly developed after a strong course of antibiotics. I was also on ant acids for over two years before acid reflux was even a problem to protect my stomach lining when taking a pain killer.

* Multiple Food Allergies
* Vitamin b12 and B9 deficiency
* Acne
* burning stomach
* Suspected Candida
* Bloating
* Uncontrollable Belching
* Weak cracked fingernails
* General feeling of my food not being able to digest like it used to
* Weight Loss

Now looking at that you'd think I definitely had low stomach acid but here's the other side of it.

I had an endoscopy which revealed erosion of the esophagus and erosion of the stomach lining as well as what they called " slight acid reflux " , this gave all the doctors the instant impression I had to high stomach acid and they of course prescribed omeprazole , lansrapole and all the H2 blockers and ant-acids you can think of. These medications don't help me at all or if they do I'm not noticing it !.

I decided to take a betaine HCL capsule to see how I felt. I understand now you're supposed to take it before food but I actually took it after on a relatively empty stomach ( not sure if that makes much of a difference ) and sure enough that night I felt time times worse with nausea , stomach buring and so on. I'm not sure if it's because my stomach acid is actually high or if it's because I took it on an empty stomach.

Reading that what do you think ?. Low or High ?. Oh , my main symptom I experience almost everyday is stomach burning and this leads me to think it could be high also , could this be a symptom of low ?.
I really wish there was a simple test for this.

Last edited by IWILLGETBETTER; 04-11-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
KitKat880
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User
Re: Low or high acid , what do you think ?.

My understanding is that HCL should be taken with or immediately after a meal, not before or on an empty stomach. If you want to give it another try, maybe eat something high in protein and take one pill after you have eaten half of your meal, then continue eating. I would not try taking it with just fruit or veggies. If you feel a warm or burning sensation in your stomach, low acid is not your problem. If the HCL does not worsen your symptoms, continue to take a pill with each meal and then work your way up to two pills per meal. If you still don't feel anything, keep gradually increasing the number of pills.

If you are already on PPIs, do not take the HCL. I would think they would cancel each other out.

There is a test to measure the level of acid in the stomach, but I think its availability is very limited. It's called the Heidelberg test, or gastric acid function test.

Something else to note about stomach acid: it supposedly decreases as we age. I'm in my twenties and my doctor thinks I'm crazy when I mention the possibility of low stomach acid. However, I don't think this is impossible.

You might also look at the thread "LPR and LOW stomach acid?"

Last edited by KitKat880; 04-11-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
ro47
(female)

ro47 HB Userro47 HB User

I just started on HCL yesterday. It says on the bottle not to take with just fruit and salad. I guess that wouldn't be enough on your stomach. I took one with lunch. I ate several bites first. Then I took two with my supper. I didn't feel any burning. I guess I will try three today. I wonder how long it will take to help, if it does. I have so much mucus in my throat this morning, throat just feels swollen down in there. I sure hope this will help. I agree, I wouldn't take it on a completely empty stomach.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
IWILLGETBETTER
(male)

IWILLGETBETTER HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to have the heidelberg test but I know for a fact my doctor wont do it for me since they're convinced my burning stomach and nausea is caused by high acid and just shrug off the rest of my symptoms. Anybody any idea on what the price would be to have it done privately ?. You mention you're in your 20's KitKat , well I'm only 19 myself and I've been struggling with this for about a year. I'm going to restart omeprazole today but I know they wont do much good.
I'm a little afraid to have another betaine hcl capsule since I didn't feel quite ill that night, I don't know if it will happen again.
I tried to find some baking soda for the home test thing but I could only seen baking powder , is this the same thing ?.
This is beyond frustrating.

Last edited by IWILLGETBETTER; 04-11-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
KitKat880
(female)

KitKat880 HB UserKitKat880 HB User

IWILLGETBETTER-

I have no idea how much the Heidelberg test costs- but I've heard it is expensive (at least in the US). I'm sure my insurance would cover it, but I'd have to drive hundreds of miles to get to a doctor that has the equipment to perform the test. As for the HCL capsules, I'm a bit afraid of them myself. I'm also afraid of a set-back if I go off of Nexium. Baking powder is not the same thing as baking soda, so you'll need to get some if you want to do the home test.

ro47-

Thanks for the update on the HCL.

Closed Thread