It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

PPIs not working well?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Highway401
(male)

Highway401 HB User
PPIs not working well?

Hey guys,

First post on here but i've been lurking for a while.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any input on my situation.

I'm 21. Started to have symptoms in December, mostly heartburn, it was dull and constant but would flare up after having a beer or another carbonated beverage. Originally just treated it with Tums, eventually progressed to Zantac 75, which by the end of the month was proving to be ineffective, even if I took a double dose.

I was travelling in the United States at the time, so I picked up a two-week course of generic Omeprazole (20mg) at Target, and I seem to believe from memory that it took care of the majority of my symptoms.

Got back home, finished the 14 days of Omeprazole, and the symptoms came back. Went to see a doctor, was prescribed Tecta (Pantoprazole Magnesium 40mg). Took that for about two months, with limited success. Went back to see my doctor and he switched me to Omeprazole, initially 20mg a day. Had a blood test for H. pylori done at the time, which to the best of my knowledge came back negative.

I took the 20mg for about two weeks without an issue, no symptoms. I had a big case of breakthrough heartburn last week on Friday, and since then, I've had a fairly constant dull pain mid-chest. Went into my university clinic, and the Nurse Practitioner upped my dosage to 40mg, as well as giving me a referral to a to a GI Doctor get an endoscopy done, which I am now waiting for. Still feeling the constant pain on the 40mg dose.

One thing the NP suggested I consider doing is changing my dosage schedule, from the 40mg in the Morning I currently take to either 5pm or split the dose with 20mg in the morning and 20mg in the afternoon.

It seems like my symptoms have been gradually getting worse since they stated in December, and the medications never seem to work at the prescribed dose for more than a couple weeks.

It's just a waiting game now until I can get an appointment with the GI Doctor, but i'd like to know any suggestions you guys can make in the mean time.

Diet and weight I suppose is a big issue for me, as I live alone and don't have many cooking skills, so I end up eating alot of prepared foods, and have the weight gain to show for it. Still, i've cut out coffee, alcohol, pop, and many things like that.

Last edited by Highway401; 04-18-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Stretch1one
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: PPIs not working well?

Try eating a apple or even applesauce after a meal aloe water also helps if you can handle drinking it kinda grosses me out but of me a long time sufferer of gerds is ginger ale with every meal. Little meals instead of bigger ones what ever you do two to three hours before best don't eat and lay if you can on your left side when you sleep.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Spunkyhunny
(female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User

I have similar stuff going on...tecta no work
Dexilant nothing...Prevacid now taking 60mg
A day morning and nite...breakthrough
Heartburn is the worst...mine comes for no
Reason...have u seen the gi yet...did u have to
Take the h pylori breath test?
Let me know how it goes...

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
JanaJ
Inactive
(female)

JanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB UserJanaJ HB User

They don't work very well for me either. I take three different ones and alternate. I also take ranitidine and gaviscon.

I don't drink alcohol anymore, or eat chocolate. Salads make it worse, so I eat very little salad. I eat a lot of bland things.

If you are taking any other medication check to see if something makes your acid worse.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
Johnah
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Diet is critical, but it is individual. You have to know what bothers you and monitor your diet and portions. Stress can also be a big factor, some report anxiety from taking PPI's, I have had that with some it is a listed side effect of many including Omeprazole. The gut and mind have a big connection so as hard as it may seem you have temper stress and worry. When it comes to fixing this type of thing it is really a holistic approach, diet, lifestyle changes and being consistent over time with all of that.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Johnah
(male)

Johnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB UserJohnah HB User

Forgot to mention something that is often overlooked with heartburn, posture. You need to be careful about putting pressure on your stomach particularly after eating. That could be from sitting forward, say at a computer, wearing tighter clothes. Anything that pushes the stomach or puts pressure on it can get the acid flowing up into your esophageal tube and starts the heart burn and other effects stomach acid in the wrong place can have. Not to mention the already damaged lower esophageal sphincter which should normally would stop the backflow up the tube. Sleep on your left side or sleep elevated (not just pillows but raise the head of the bed or buy a wedge), the stomach is on the left side and thru gravity it stops fluid backing up into the tube during sleep. Don't eat minimum 3 hrs before bed. As I said it takes a lot of steps in your life to fix this, not just a PPI twice a day.

Closed Thread