It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Still new at GERD/LPR

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-08-2012, 03:17 AM   #1
    vachilly
    (female)

vachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB Uservachilly HB User
    Still new at GERD/LPR

I'm still confused about trigger foods. It seems like my stomach burns all the time, so I don't seem to actually have "safe" foods. I've stuck to a very strict diet and cut out all the normal triggers. I'm so thin now that it's scary. Does anyone else just burn no matter what? I've had my EGD, and they say it looks normal except for gastritis. But that was 6 weeks ago, and it just doesn't seem to get any better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
    sealbeachluvr
    (female)

sealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB Usersealbeachluvr HB User
    Re: Still new at GERD/LPR

I am a super healthy eater and sicker than a dog! I ate healthy before this even happened - losing weight as well - ONLY thing helping me right now is Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs brand with ”Mother” and pickles. After consuming the ACV and pickles - I feel great until it wrars off. I have to repeat 3 times a day

Old 07-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yes, it can be tricky to identify trigger foods. Honestly, the last few months before the surgery, I kind of gave up on sticking to the diet. I still avoided the foods that I knew were particularly bad, but at the same time, I couldn't afford to lose more weight. So, I just ate what I needed and dealt with the pain later.

Since my surgery, many foods actually don't hurt, so I can now identify my triggers more easily.

I do best with plain cooked veggies, chicken or turkey, and starches. Small portions, I try to remember to stop the moment the word "full" begins to cross my mind. And for some weird reason, I can't eat for an hour after getting up.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
    vachilly
    (female)

It seems on day something is okay to eat and then the next time, it's a trigger food. I gave up on trying to follow some of the nutrition guides people give you for acid reflux. I mean, one person gave a pork loin recipe and even puts some butter in things. I am just so really confused and depressed about the food issues.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Like I said, the only thing that got me through that last year was learning not to care. I pretty much said, Okay, I'm going to eat breakfast and then have acid in my mouth for three hours. I can go nuts trying to find the food that will agree with me well enough that it's only, say, two hours, I can not eat (and suffer for it) or I can just eat and deal with it afterwards.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
    vachilly
    (female)

I think I'm going to have to do that to an extent. I'm so horribly thin. How does yogurt work for you? Did you ever do yogurt and lowfat milk? And if you drink ACV, when do you drink it? Before you eat or after? Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
    Gonzoe
    (male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

Just to let you know I only had or have that problem when I took ppi. I'm trying to readjust now but it keeps producing too much acid every food eat. It's weird BC when I wasn't taking ppi I only had certain foods give me heart burn so I think ppi makes your pump out of wack by attacking. I forgot how long it takes to readjust its been weak for me now I can't swallow BC all the burning

Old 07-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
    Gonzoe
    (male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    Yes, it can be tricky to identify trigger foods. Honestly, the last few months before the surgery, I kind of gave up on sticking to the diet. I still avoided the foods that I knew were particularly bad, but at the same time, I couldn't afford to lose more weight. So, I just ate what I needed and dealt with the pain later.

Since my surgery, many foods actually don't hurt, so I can now identify my triggers more easily.

I do best with plain cooked veggies, chicken or turkey, and starches. Small portions, I try to remember to stop the moment the word "full" begins to cross my mind. And for some weird reason, I can't eat for an hour after getting up.
    Did you have acid reflux surgery?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
    sealbeachluvr
    (female)

I drink 2 tablespoons before I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Add it with water, hot or cold. You have to figure it out what taste is best for you. Google it first - don't take my word for it. My 4th day today - miracle for me! It has to be Braggs with mother in it. You can find it at your local healrh store. Force yourself to drink it all - you will get used to it. Keep me posted.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #10
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ACV didn't work for me, but I do well with lowfat/nonfat dairy. And yes, I had reflux surgery. It reduced my problems by roughly 85%.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    sealbeachluvr (07-09-2012)
    Old 07-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #11
    Spunkyhunny
    (female)

Spunkyhunny HB UserSpunkyhunny HB User

hi all...
    i agree with vachilly....i am so thin as well,...i still am eating the good food so to speak,,,but darned if i can gain any wight back,,,i am on my 3rd ppi now,,,tecta,,,been on it for 2 weeks,,,doc made me stop prevacid and immediately switch to the tecta,,,i just want this to go away,,,i can eat yogurt but it is organic and has probiotics in it,,,i still get the burning and heartburn and the fullness...man the fullness really bothers me...like all the way up tp the top of my throat i feel full and dont know why,,,does anyone know why,,i would love to know,,,,and about the acv i am so afraid to try it,,,i dont know if i could stand any more burning,,,are you still taking the ppi whilst taking acv....i have some from the grocery store but no mother,,,why does it matter that it has the mother in it,,,i am trying so many things..with digestive enzymes and dgl its so frustrating,,,
    Hope you are feeling better...if you find something that helps you gain weight please let me know..
    Spunky

Old 07-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
    Pastafarian
    (female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vachilly View Post
    I'm still confused about trigger foods. It seems like my stomach burns all the time, so I don't seem to actually have "safe" foods. I've stuck to a very strict diet and cut out all the normal triggers. I'm so thin now that it's scary. Does anyone else just burn no matter what? I've had my EGD, and they say it looks normal except for gastritis. But that was 6 weeks ago, and it just doesn't seem to get any better.

I am with you. My stomach/diaphragm area burns all the time. It doesnt seem to matter what I eat. It gets slightly worse if I eat anything fatty - even cheese slices. Forget about coffee/chocolate/tomato sauce etc. I can't even eat it at all. The only thing I've found that makes it not worse (but not really better) are apples. My dietician says its probably because of the pectin which lines the stomach temporarily and can be calming. She gave me a list of high pectin fruits but I've misplaced it. I think blueberries and plums were on there. A big bowl of macaroni and cheese, as contradictory as it might sound - makes my stomach feel better. I think it just puts me in a food coma. I havent figured that one out.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #13
    vachilly
    (female)

I can't take PPI's. They didn't work for me. I have to use Pepcid or similar drug. I still can't find enough foods to put on weight.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #14
    sealbeachluvr
    (female)

Spunky, research Apple Cider Vinegar. The ”Mother” in it is what supplies the needed nutrients. The one from the store is not beneficial. Braggs with ”Mother” is awesome. Read the side effects of your medications and you may think twice about taking them. No, I completely stopped taking my meds and now take AVC or eat a pickel - both work great! A pickel or pickel juice has the same effect as ACV. I was able to eat about 900 calories yesterday - the most in three weeks since starting ACV.

Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #15
    Pastafarian
    (female)

Pastafarian HB UserPastafarian HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vachilly View Post
    I can't take PPI's. They didn't work for me. I have to use Pepcid or similar drug. I still can't find enough foods to put on weight.

Have you tried seeing a dietician? I was seeing one after I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia. She really helped me work out a diet that strikes a balance between the needs for both things. You need calorie dense foods to gain weight. Can you tolerate ice cream? That would be one way to get lots of calories down without being a complete nutritional loss.

Closed Thread