It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Sudden Acid Reflux - perplexed!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
    reflummoxed
    (male)

reflummoxed HB User
    Sudden Acid Reflux - perplexed!

Hello! I'm a new member here and signed up to try to get some feedback from those who might have similar experiences. Here is whats going on... A few months ago I went on a pill for high blood pressure called Metoprolol Tartrate. While it helped with the b/p I began struggling with sporadic constipation (sorry). Things were a little iffy on that subject even before I started the pill, but it seemed to complicate matters much more. So a month ago I stopped smoking and ever since I have felt like my health has been on a downhill slide. I should also mention that before I got on the pill I did a probiotic for a month. So anyway acid reflux hit me about a week ago. I have it every time I consume anything whatsoever- be it a beverage or food. It is a burning sensation in my throat that is occasionally accompanied by food or burning liquid that comes up. Also I notice a tingling sensation in my mouth almost all day long now that wasn't there before. I am sure it is related to this stomach acid too. Anyone have experience with reflux just hitting out of nowhere after starting a medication or stopping smoking? I'm pretty certain that this is either a side effect of the med or maybe the cigarette smoke was neutralizing the acid somehow? I have no idea! But I'm really getting a bit bummed out at this point! Its been two weeks of having it every single day!

The following user gives a hug of support to reflummoxed:
    sealbeachluvr (07-14-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
    Gonzoe
    (male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User
    Re: Sudden Acid Reflux - perplexed!

Smoking causes acid reflux, as it weakens your sphincter, once your sphincter isnt working there's nothing you can do except natural gerd remedies or medicine. you can look up a whole list of remedies and try it before you try medication. everyone's triggers are different so it's best you google "gerd" natural remedies. There's nothing you can do about it, if its from your long term smoking, if its from the medicine normally you would get it during the medication or had signs of it coming on, i think

The Following User Says Thank You to Gonzoe For This Useful Post:
    reflummoxed (07-13-2012)
    Old 07-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It could be a side effect of the blood pressure medicine. If it's causing constipation, clearly it's affecting your digestion in some way. If I were you, I would ask the doctor for a different type of blood pressure medicine.

And like Gonzoe said, quitting smoking shouldn't have caused it, since nicotine actually causes acid reflux.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    reflummoxed (07-13-2012)
    Old 07-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
    reflummoxed
    (male)

reflummoxed HB User

Gonzoe,

After looking in to this more, I'm leaning towards your thoughts that perhaps I damaged my sphincter while smoking. I smoked for around 16 years, pretty heavily. It is peculiar that I didn't notice any symptoms of reflux until a month after I stopped smoking though. Maybe as the sphincter is trying to repair itself this is occurring because it is working harder now? I think the smoke must have been neutralizing the acid in my saliva to some extent. It really sucks because the back of my throat feels like there are minty/menthol fumes pouring in to my mouth. Hard to explain the sensation, but it is sooo unpleasant and it basically never stops! It gets especially bad when I eat or drink.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Are you chewing gum or using any quit-smoking aids? I find that gum or anything with mint is a major trigger.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
    reflummoxed
    (male)

reflummoxed HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
    Are you chewing gum or using any quit-smoking aids? I find that gum or anything with mint is a major trigger.
    I thought about that. For the first few weeks that I quit smoking I used Nicorette. But I had to stop because it was giving me mouth sores. Currently I'm not using any gum though, and the problem developed a few weeks after I stopped using the gum. Now I'm using toothpicks to help with the cravings.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
    Gonzoe
    (male)

Gonzoe HB UserGonzoe HB User

That minty feeling is the acid refluxing up I get that too when in hyper acidic mode feels like you breathing cold air

Closed Thread