It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid Reflux nightmare

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
    lily32
    (female)

lily32 HB User
    Angry Acid Reflux nightmare

This is my first post here, hello everyone! I guess Iíll start at the beginning. It might be a bit gross, so I do apologize, but Iím going to be as honest as possible in sharing what Iíve been feeling. Iíve suffered from acid reflux for years now, starting in junior high. I was unaware of it at the time, until it became so bad at eighteen I couldnít ignore it and saw a doctor. At the time it was simply a lot of acid, and of course discomfort in my chestÖstuff I said was no big deal and Iíd just tough it out and live with it, so I ignored my doctorís concerned, never went back and tried to carry on with life. That was a huge mistake, because it became MUCH worse.

Fast forward to now, no more than twenty two: I vomit without a fever, lose my voice, cough excessively, belch constantly, am not able to eat anything without searing my throat, wake up with heart palpations, chest constriction, difficulty breathing, and on top of all of this, I am suffering digestive issues as well now.

Iím either constipated or stricken with diarrhea, and embarrassingly enough have had an accident in the past months. I also have excessive gas and crippling side and abdominal pain, they hurt so bad I feel like crying sometimes. Iíve lost close to thirty-thirty five-ish lbs. in the last six months, I simply cannot eat anything and feel miserable most of the time.

Iíve been back to my doctor twice, and have gone back recently for blood-work and an H-Pylori (sp?)test. I have strongly resisted medication-Iím in my twenties! I just would hate having to go on something long term, but am close to giving in Iím so frustrated.

Iíve adjusted my diet, taken out anything that would upset my stomach, tried an attempt to lead a healthy lifestyle, seen a therapist in case it was stress related and so far nothing has helped. Any stories, experiences, or anything at all would really help me out here, itís been a nightmare this past year Thank you, and Iím sorry this is so long! Itís just been very frustrating so far

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
    Rich775
    (male)

Rich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB UserRich775 HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux nightmare

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lily26 View Post
    Iíve been back to my doctor twice, and have gone back recently for blood-work and an H-Pylori (sp?)test. I have strongly resisted medication-Iím in my twenties! I just would hate having to go on something long term, but am close to giving in Iím so frustrated.

Iíve adjusted my diet, taken out anything that would upset my stomach, tried an attempt to lead a healthy lifestyle, seen a therapist in case it was stress related and so far nothing has helped. Any stories, experiences, or anything at all would really help me out here, itís been a nightmare this past year Thank you, and Iím sorry this is so long! Itís just been very frustrating so far
    Strongly resisting meds is a mistake. I fully understand the desire in a young body not to give in to such ailments, but not treating a real condition with real meds will only leave you in more trouble later (maybe now?).

Diet is one of the few things we can control in the management of our own health, but not everything can be managed by that alone. You might be surprised how effectively some of the meds available today will work for you. Going without them can cause serious damage. You really do not want that.

Good luck to you and feel free to pass ideas by us.

fwiw,
    M.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rich775 For This Useful Post:
    lily32 (07-13-2012)
    Old 07-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
    janewhite1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Pretty much all of that other than the lower digestive problems are very common GERD symptoms. It doesn't usually get that bad, but sometimes it does.

It might indeed be time to consider the meds. It might help to see a dietician, one who understands stomach disorders. (Some dieticians only know how to treat obesity.)

Also, how you eat matters as much as what you eat. Nothing late at night. Sit up, eat slowly, don't lie down for about 2 hours after a meal. If possible, you can prop up your bed or sleep with a wedge pillow, so that your head is elevated.

If you have H. Pylori, a course of antibiotics might help a lot. But in any case, you might need to be referred to a gastroenterologist for further testing. (It's not as scary as it sounds, I've been there!)

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
    lily32 (07-13-2012)
    Old 07-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
    lily32
    (female)

lily32 HB User

Thank you guys for taking the time to offer some feedback! A dietician sounds like a good idea, and thank you for the other ideas. I will try some of them out and see if there is any improvement at all. Much appreciated!

Closed Thread