It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Apple Cider Vinegar "cocktail" - opinions sought

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
    tcs11705
    (male)

tcs11705 HB User
    Apple Cider Vinegar "cocktail" - opinions sought

First post.

Mild GERD for less than six months, threated mainly with Omeprazole and Rinitidine. Very wary of the gastro Dr. always bringing up the "C" word and two highly invasive procedures, including the endoscopy, which an article referred to as "scoping for dollars" and very popular with Medicare patients, like myself.

After extensive reading, have been trying:
    2 tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
    mixed with
    1/2 tsp. baking soda.
    Allow to foam, effect is like the formula used to clear out a sink
    1 tbsp. lemon juice.
    add 8 oz. water
    add flavored Metamucil
    follow with another 8 oz. glass of water

I do this three times daily, have only done it two days but already feel much better. The Omeprazole scares me. Tomorrow, I'll purchase some of the Bragg ACV.

Any opinions, and especially other supplements you've had luck with, I'd love to read it.

Last edited by mod85; 03-12-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
    HateGERD
    (female)

HateGERD HB User
    Re: Apple Cider Vinegar "cocktail" - opinions sought

I've used apple cider vinegar both alone (just diluted in water) and with baking soda. Not sure which works best. Currently, I'm trying anywhere from two tablespoons to one teaspoon in water before each meal (using the larger amount with bigger means; smaller amount with smaller meal).

I do know that when I'm having heartburn two tablespoons in a half glass of water drunk quickly is one of the few things that stops the heartburn!

As for other supplements, I've found DGL licorice after meals very helpful. Also, melotonin pills and chamomile tea at night for sleep and other GI benefits.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
    tcs11705
    (male)

tcs11705 HB User

I researched the DGL Licorice, and although my BP is 140/80 and I exercise and walk regularly, the fact that I take a small amount of Atenolol leads me to believe I should probably avoid it.

Aloe vera juice sounds like it might hold some promise but it's a tough call with many of these remedies as to whether they're duplicating the same results as you're getting from something you're already taking as the active ingredients are similar.

I think the Apple Cider Vinegar is at the "core" of all of these self-help remedies, and I'm heading out to the Vitamin Shoppe today to get the Bragg version with the "Mother" seal. They also sell the Source Naturals Daily Essential Enzymes for about the same price as ****** and it's their #1 bestseller.

I think many of these remedies require quite a bit of reading. For instance, is Betaine HCl really all that safe?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
    HateGERD
    (female)

HateGERD HB User

I believe that Betaine HCL is pretty safe, but I never had the nerve to stick with it. I was always paranoid that I would get one of those pills stuck in my throat were it would disolve and burn! However, I do believe that if the vinegar helps, that's a strong indicator of low stomcach acid being the root cause of your problems.

If low acid is a problem, you can also use digestive bitters (I'm about to try this) and make sure that you consume adquate salt (good quality sea salt), B12, iodine, and drink ginger tea.

Good luck!

Closed Thread