It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• GERD LPR - Does the suffering increase?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
    johnathan
    Inactive
    (male)

johnathan HB User
    GERD LPR - Does the suffering increase?

Once it has been determined that you have GERD or LPR, is it fairly certain that it will only continue to get progressively worse? So the first 5 years, we may not be bothered by it because a PPI per day can control the symptoms. But then the PPI stops working and we start becoming desperate for relief. The next 5-15 years, you contemplate surgery and struggle to pay the bills because you are being pressured to work when you cannot even get a decent nights sleep and the bills keep coming. After 20 years, there is considerable scarring on your esophagus and you start to wonder why life is so cruel. You are at risk of homelessness because you are not able to go to work with no sleep and constant acid being forced up. The doctor tells you you have barretts and that you will need to start having yearly tests to detect cancer. After 30 years, you are now getting into old age, and you should be at a comfortable point in your life settled with a family. But instead you are single, no family, at risk of losing your job and home, and at risk of cancer. By the time it has been 40 years, your doctor tells you the bad news you had always feared. You have esophageal cancer. There is nothing we can do. By this time, you already have asthma from the acid vapors, a permanent sore throat, a husky voice from vocal cord damage and difficulty getting food down. Your teeth have also been eroded away.

You wonder what you had done to suffer like this and why it was worth living through it all. 'How unlucky have I been?' you say to yourself...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
    Seeking Sunrise
    (male)

Seeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB UserSeeking Sunrise HB User
    Re: GERD LPR - Does the suffering increase?

That's basically what I imagined too, after my throat just went crazy during a virus. It would be relentless. Globus after eating, like there was a balloon in my throat. Then phlegm for hours. I'd drink water like crazy to experiment, and the best that I'd get was a sore throat and difficulty swallowing.

So after a month or so, I started getting on the boards and it scared me what I was reading. People freaking out, looking for solutions, and not a lot of people mentioning much in the way of success.

I don't know if you have so-called LPR only, or actually heartburn and acid coming up that you can feel as well. But both are bad. I think anything near the voicebox is worse, but I suspect I'm biased.

Anyway, so because a lot of people had had this a lot longer and been posting about it, I could sort of track their comments over years, track them down on other sites, etc. I got pretty good at it, like a detective, and it was all for me to test if it just got worse and worse until they finally just gave up or tossed themselves into a volcano.

What I saw though did not support any idea like that though. I saw people either:
    a) keep trying new things, and get support/ideas from others
    b) just got used to it and basically became themselves again albeit with a minor nuisance all the time.
    c) got basically better enough that they just came back once in a while to check on how others were doing, and provide some sort of advice. Almost like they became LPR/GERD sages and experts. They talked less about their own problems and were more interested in handing out advice.
    d) They disappeared totally from any forums. But then I tracked a couple of those people down and their myspace photos just showed them out smiling and doing things like rock climbing or hanging around in bars (normal life of healthy people).

These people I'm talking about were people who first appeared on these boards longing for a swift end and thinking they couldn't bear another moment. So you see, friend, it won't be a progress to a horrible end. Rather it will just be one of life's battles that you'll prevail in, even if there are good and bad periods when the reflux/nerve damage flares up or almost disappears. Maybe it will even go away for good, and this will just be a nasty memory in your life.

If you don't believe me, take a look at my messages when I first appeared here.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
    tom-880
    (male)

tom-880 HB User
    Re: GERD LPR - Does the suffering increase?

Seeking Sunrise, does this mean your condition is ok right now?
    Have you tried anything to cure yourself; like diet change, surgery, elavil or other drugs?

btw i do like your post/idea about nerve damage, lyrica, elavil? I read on one of your old posts that you were going to try Lyrica, how did that work out?

please share your story. i'm all ears.

My Lpr started due to Doxycycline

Closed Thread