It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Coming off Omeprazole: what worked for me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
    foundsomething
    Inactive
    (male)

foundsomething HB User
    Coming off Omeprazole: what worked for me

I was on Omeprazole for two years after having problems with acid reflux. I would still get reflux while on the medication, but it didn't burn because I wasn't producing acid. The advice is that you are not meant to be on the medication for more than a month. My doctor said I would probably have to carry on taking it for the rest of my life. I was on 20mg daily.

After reading up on Omeprazole, I thought it could be perpetuating my symptoms. There can also be a lot of side effects from taking it long term. I wanted to come off it. But whenever I missed a dose, I got really bad symptoms. I tried stopping or taking it every other day but that just didn't work for me.

The best advice I found was to come off Omeprazole gradually, which is what I did. I had been on it for over a year, and there was no sense in rushing it. I am now symptom free.

My Omeprazole came in capsules that had granules inside. I would tip out a few granules, before taking it. Reducing the dose even just a tiny bit did cause problems, but I could survive them. I tried things like eating bananas to help with the symptoms. There was no point in taking extra Omprazole to stop the symptoms, because they would be gone anyway by the time it kicked in.

I would stay at the same dose until I was back to my usual level of problems. After a week or two or however long it took, I would try and reduce a little further. There was some variation in how much I was taking because I was estimating how many granules to tip out.

I took a few months to come off completely but now I don't remember the last time I had a problem.

The Omeprazole helped at first, but then it just seemed to perpetuate the problem. I guess whatever was originally causing my reflux went away. I spend less time lying down now, and my diet has changed. Continuing to take the Omeprazole had changed a temporary problem into an on-going one. I am glad to be off it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
    Re: Coming off Omeprazole: what worked for me

Hi, so pleased to hear you have succeeded in getting off omeprazole. I am doing exactly the same as you, i take out 1 granule a week, it is all I can bare. Initially I jumped from 40mg to 20mg in one leap and nearly died in the process. This is a slow process but at least it is possible. It reasurring to hear someone has done it and feels better for it. Omeprazole is no joke to get off. Thanks for sharing.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acid rebound, omeprazole, ppi