It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Nexium quit working... and more

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
    joan0021
    (female)

joan0021 HB User
    Nexium quit working... and more

Took Nexium 40mg for almost 20 years (was Prilosec originally) and the stuff fizzled about 2 1/2 years back. Neither my old GI or the newer one figured out it fizzled, it took a third new GI to put that together. Switched to Dexilant, which does not work as well, and I don't know what else is available these days since I tried about everything all those years ago before landing on Nexium - wonder drug for me until it wasn't. I'm concerned Dexilant will ALSO fizzle out since they're the same category of drug, and since I also have gastroparesis which is pretty much untreatable and permanent, my tummy problems are just depressing. Anyone know if down the road Nexium could START working again? I'll see that new GI - the good one - next week and will ask, I am guessing there's only one way to find out. I take Zantac with the Dexilant (60 mg Dex plus 30 at dinner) to help at the doctor's suggestion. I feel like a walking pharmacy since I have other issues at my age that also really really need meds. I know I'm not alone, just needing a place to compare notes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM   #2
    miranda3294
    (female)

miranda3294 HB User
    Re: Nexium quit working... and more

i take ranitidine 300mg right now which is zantac prescription strength so if you dont already i would ask for a prescription for ranitidine instead of the zantac you take now.i dont have bad acid reflux but when i do have episodes it helps alot or you could ask for carafate i take the 1g dosage and that works like a miracle! i used to get constantly nauseous before i started it and i went to a gi doctor for the first time and he did a endoscopy for my difficulty swallowing and he found that i had too much acid which was probably the reason for acid reflux being so bad and ever aince im hardly ever nauseous and hardly ever have acid reflux symptoms! so yeah out of any of them two i would ask for carafate for sure! hope this helps and you get everything straightened out! have a great night! :-)

Closed Thread