It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid Reflux GERD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #1
    vancan
    (male)

vancan HB User
    Acid Reflux GERD

I wish to share my experience with medications and treatment for GERD.

I started getting acid reflux in my 40's and my doctor prescribed Losec.
    I was taking this medication for 2 week intervals as recommended and I found
    some improvement but also a rebound and worse symptoms on stopping the drug. It did not resolve the issue.

Because of the drug issues and because of my concerns with drug side effects I consulted with a Naturopathic Physician and I found much better results. The condition has not been cured but has much improved, to the level of forgetting I have the condition for weeks at a time and times where I have slight symptoms and have to remember to watch my diet.

The process I went through was -
    a) Examine my diet and identify most common diet choices

b) Had a blood test done and had a lab test my blood for antibody reactions based on various food. ($200 + arranged by the physician)

c) Based on the blood test results and my physician's general knowledge of GERD I omitted dairy from diet wherever possible. (There will always be hidden dairy ingredients in some products and restaurant meals)

d) I started taking a probiotic vegetable based capsule (non dairy based)morning and night consisting
    25 billion CFU
    Lactobacillus acidophilus (CUL-60)
    Bifidobacterium bifidum (CUL-20)
    (The brand I use is Genestra Brand "HMF intensive")

e) After each meal (where convenient) I take a powder mixed with water which has a gel consistency which helps to coat and protect against stomach acid. (The brand I use is "G.I. Fortify" by Pure Encapsulations)

f) I purchased a good juicer and on the recommendation of the physician started morning and night consuming 200ml of RED cabbage juice. It must be RED cabbage, and should be juiced right before you want to consume it.
    After my symptoms had mostly disappeared I would take the cabbage juice just now and then whenever I felt some symptoms appear after a meal.

After just a few weeks on this diet my symptoms went from bad, where I was having lots of chest and throat burning and trouble sleeping to very minor or completely gone some weeks. I also tilted the head of my bed up 6" and avoided other foods on my lab report shown to have an antibody reaction in my blood test.

I am located in Vancouver Canada and I can post my physician's name if I am allowed to on this board and if requested. Of course, I have no connection with any of the products mentioned here and this diet works for me. Everyone else should seek medical advice for their condition.

I hope this helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to vancan For This Useful Post:
    Aniles (09-06-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
    winghall
    (female)

winghall HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux GERD

Hi Vancan, Could you tell us typical daily meals that you eat?

Old 09-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
    vancan
    (male)

vancan HB User
    Re: Acid Reflux GERD

I have a very varied diet and eat out twice a day at restaurants, however I have omitted very spicy foods and limit alcohol to two or three drinks once a week and also limit caffeine. I was advised to also reduce white rice intake.
    I have less rice and order brown rice where possible. I avoid high fat foods. (Some meats and many desserts)

The biggest change I made was omitting dairy, and also omitted food items which appeared on the report I had done (blood test) which were shown to cause a antibody reaction. These items will be very unique to each person but for me they included bananas, cranberry, pineapple. (And all dairy)

I would say the most common items in my meals now are chicken, fish, limited beef, fruit (not fruit juices) and vegetables, eggs. I also drink fennel tea and some decaf black tea. For cereal I use almond milk and to replace butter I use a vegetable oil spread which spreads like and tastes like butter.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acid reflux, burning, gerd, indigestion, reflux