It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Home Remedies?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
    karen561
    (female)

karen561 HB User
    Question Home Remedies?

Thinking about trying some of the home remedies I keep reading about and would like to know what any of you have tried. DGL, Aloe juice, apple cider vinegar, manuka honey, ect: Want to get off these PPIs. Been taking Nexium now for 12 days and still feel the acid in my chest and throat same as the Prilosec and the Protonix did. Thinking about just going to Zantac 150 and trying the DLG. Can't wait for my GI appt. on Halloween! Also would like to know if I should take vitamins to help? Probiotics? So confused!!! I know it's only been a couple months for me but already tired of this. I want to eat normal again. Yea I'm eating healthy now but I would like a hot dog and some spaghetti once in awhile again...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
    Re: Home Remedies?

Hi,

I have tried both Aloe-Vera and Manuka Honey.
    I had H.Pylori two yrs ago and an Ulcer. Had treatment for that and clear now. However I am now prone to Acid Reflux and Gastric Stomach at times and have had very good results with Manuka Honey,
    I don't take PPIs as they did not help me at all.
    I don't think you should leave the PPIs off, instead introduce the M.H and take as well as.
    Hope this helps,

Solofelix.
    If you feel it is helping then you could reduce the dosage of PPI gradually

The Following User Says Thank You to solofelix For This Useful Post:
    karen561 (10-03-2013)
    Old 10-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I have had acid reflux for a while, mostly at night
    After a bad bout of it recently where my throat was quite sore and my husband said I was gasping for air in the night I had an endoscopy...I fully expected to be told there was damage but there was none...just lots of bile in my stomach

I attribute that to the fact that I drink home made milk kefir daily
    Before I started on it I bought some Braggs apple cider vinegar, but can't bring myself to try it as it seems to acidy to me

I can't try the honey as it's bad for Kefir

I believe chewing gum is good for neutralising acid on your teeth

Isn't slippery elm supposed to be good too?

Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rainbowsrock View Post
    I have had acid reflux for a while, mostly at night
    After a bad bout of it recently where my throat was quite sore and my husband said I was gasping for air in the night I had an endoscopy...I fully expected to be told there was damage but there was none...just lots of bile in my stomach

I attribute that to the fact that I drink home made milk kefir daily
    Before I started on it I bought some Braggs apple cider vinegar, but can't bring myself to try it as it seems to acidy to me

I can't try the honey as it's bad for Kefir

I believe chewing gum is good for neutralising acid on your teeth

Isn't slippery elm supposed to be good too?

"What do you take the Kefir for"...
    and why would it contribute to Bile in your stomach,

Solofelix.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
    karen561
    (female)

karen561 HB User

I haven't tried the Kefir, but how do you make it? I saw it at walmart but all they had was flavored. Been looking at Black Strap Molasses, has a lot of healthy benefits. Might give that a try.

Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

I found DGL licorice to be the most helpful thing in helping me whilst getting off PPIs.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I've always taken probiotics as some of our immune system is in our gut

Somehow I stumbled on Kefir, I think it was when I was researching diets for acid reflux..I was intrigued

Home made Kefir is superior to shop bought and works out far cheaper as there is an initial small cost ( bought mine from ebay ) Then all it costs is the milk you use to make it. You can only reculture shop bought Kefir a few times then it stops working

Kefir milk 'grains' look like miniature white cauliflowers and culture the milk for you (they can live as long as you too)

It came out wrong about the Kefir/bile
    I meant I attribute the fact I had no damage to my stomach to the Kefir

The bile was there because I have no gallbladder...bit worrying as I think bile reflux is worse than acid reflux

Last edited by Administrator; 10-03-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Closed Thread