It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Advice to stop night time refluxing please

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User
    Advice to stop night time refluxing please

Has anyone got any tips to try to stop me refluxing into my throat at night. I already take PPIs, I have the head of my raised, and I have my evening meal early, but I still reflux. This tends to wake me at around 4am. Thanks.

Last edited by Froodie; 10-15-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Advice to stop night time refluxing please

What has helped me was taking 150 mg. of Zantac before bedtime and not eating 2 hours before bedtime.

Take a tablespoon of some Gaviscon or similar if you feel bad during the night. Need to stop the acid from eating the esophagus.

Best of luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to movielover40 For This Useful Post:
    Froodie (10-15-2013)
    Old 10-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

My recent endoscopy showed bile in my stomach...apparently ppi's are not effective against bile reflux. Could this be why the meds aren't working?

The Following User Says Thank You to rainbowsrock For This Useful Post:
    Froodie (10-15-2013)
    Old 10-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Have you tried Zantac? It works different than PPI.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

I found Nexium taken just before bedtime helpful (40mg).
    Also Aloe Vera Juice three times a day is good but you need to take it everyday and give it a week or so to see the benefits,
    Good luck,

Solofelix.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
    Froodie
    (female)

Froodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB UserFroodie HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I take 60mg of Lansoprazole before breakfast and 60mg before my evening meal. I take Ranitidine when my symptoms break through, but I find if I take Ranitidine regularly the effect wears off. I chew gum and take gaviscon tablets and liquid when needed.

I slept last night with my bed even more raised, but it makes my neck and shoulders ache. It's a trade off as the reflux wasn't as bad. I tend to think that the acid is controlled, but whatever else is in my stomach is still coming up to my throat.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
    LindaDarleneR
    (female)

LindaDarleneR HB User

Have you kept a food log to see what foods make it worse? I get this also and I take prevacid everyday or my life is misery. I also found eating smaller meals more often seems to help me. Are you seeing a gastro doctor. I wish you the best and hope you feel better soon. Mine was so bad it made me cough everynight. Take care

The Following User Says Thank You to LindaDarleneR For This Useful Post:
    Froodie (10-17-2013)
    Closed Thread