It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Reflux with heart palpitations/pounding

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
    mh80
    (female)

mh80 HB User
    Reflux with heart palpitations/pounding

Hey everyone,

I'm 33 y/o female. I have severe reflux issues and am now on Nexium 40mg a day. Hasn't helped my problems like I was hoping it would. I lay awake at night with a pounding heart, palpitations and what feels like someone squeezing or sitting on my chest. This happens when I've eaten in the last hour or have eaten too much/certain foods that day. I notice a little reflux, usually with gas/bloating. The pressure is so tight on my chest that I have to get up, stay standing for a while before it goes away. My heart sometimes races or I can feel pulse strong in my neck and upper chest. I don't really have any pain associated with these eipisodes. (I've had a stress echo and wore a holter monitor, all came back normal). The docs (cardio and gastro) have offered no additional insight.

Does anyone ever feel these symptoms or similar symptoms?
    Very troubled.

The following user gives a hug of support to mh80:
    movielover40 (12-05-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Reflux with heart palpitations/pounding

You should take a Zantec 150 at bedtime.

I take Dexilant in the morning and Zantec at bedtime. It's ok to take both of them they are a different class of drugs.

Best of luck.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
    John786
    (male)

John786 HB User
    Re: Reflux with heart palpitations/pounding

Hello. I too have experienced similar problems. 41 year old male dealing with G.E.R.D for the past 3-4 years. Prior to knowing I suffered from reflux, I had been to my Dr. a couple times as I was concerned with heart palpitations. tests were completed and I was told I was fine. I also experienced severe chest pain and tightening to the point it would cause breathing problems. Thought I was having a heart attack. The pain would subside after a short time, and I would go back to doing what I was doing. Again, tests came back ok. I then had trouble swallowing to the point I almost choked on some food one day. An endoscopy with a gastroentoligist revealed a "stricture" in the esophagus caused by severe reflux. I was given a daily pill to take (TECTA). I have not experienced any of the symptoms since, although there was 2 different days when I missed taking the pill that the symptoms returned. Anyhow, I take this pill in the morning and it seems to be working. I have since had a second endoscopy to compare, and everything seems to be fine. You should talk to a gastrologist about a different med, or further exploration into your own problem. Good Luck!!

Closed Thread

Tags
    acid reflux, chest pressure, palpitations, reflux