It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Endoscopy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
    lorrit32
    (female)

lorrit32 HB User
    Endoscopy?

Hi I'm currently suffering with presumed acid reflux. But it's just that presumed. I've been suffering every day with bad heartburn, I've completely changed my diet, in fact I'm not eating much at all.

So my doctor has prescribed me lansoprazole but its giving me bad side effects.

So I think I need a referral but I'm petrified of having an endoscopy.

If you have had one can u please share your experience?

Many Thanks

Laura

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: lorrit32
    annie42 (01-12-2014),karen561 (01-11-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
    annie42
    (female)

annie42 HB Userannie42 HB Userannie42 HB User
    Re: Endoscopy?

I've had 3 scopes and have no memory of the procedures. I was totally out of it. Everyone I know who's had the procedure had the same experience, no pain, no recollection of anything other than waking up and being told it was over.

Don't be frightened, it doesn't hurt one iota!

Blessings,
    Ann
    And by the way, sometimes the doctor will change the medication if one isn't working. Acid reflux is contrary!

Last edited by annie42; 01-12-2014 at 03:09 PM. Reason: PS

Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #3
    lorrit32
    (female)

lorrit32 HB User
    Thanks so much Anne, that has certainly put my mind at rest.
    I'm back on 30mg of lansoprazole so will see how I get on.
    I spoke to my doctor today, because I've had such a rough weekend. Heart palpitations, and I've got this constant pain in between my breast bones, it's like a burn/ache. Doctor said its all down to acid reflux. But why am I getting it soo bad, even when I've totally altered my diet and am taking things like aloe, manuka honey, I'm trying to help myself, yet I'm still suffering.

I never realised that acid reflux was so debilitating. It is impact so much of my life. I have been unable to attend college, Uni and work, they are all suffering. It's affecting my ability to do the things I want to do with my daughter.

I'm on the verge of loosing my job as I've been unable to work for 5 weeks.

Is this normal for people to be affected like this?

Kind regards
    Laura x

Old 01-13-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
    annie42
    (female)

I'm so sorry you're going through this and yes, it does affect people this way. The burning/aching is all part of it.

Five weeks is too long for this to go on. Insist on getting that endoscope now. Meanwhile, if you do have to wait, ask your doctor to switch you to a different PPI.

I had gastric ulcers which after four months, were healed. You might have ulcers. Don't worry, if you do, they can be healed. I had 4 gastric ulcers which the PPI, Zegerid, healed.

I know it's really difficult for you but you will be okay. GERD will cause anxiety and depression. It's an awful thing to go through.

Try using a wedge or raise your bed a few inches at the head. I use a 4" wedge. I sip on Chamomile tea with a slice of ginger in it all day. I'm currently on 40 mg Zegerid in the AM and take Zantac in the PM for breakthrough reflux. Everything I eat is alkalizing. I'm going to take this for 2 weeks and if I don't have significant relief, I'm going to my gastro for a scope to see if the ulcers are back.

I wish I could say more to help you. Just know that everything you're experiencing is all part of acid reflux.

I don't know if you believe in prayer but I do and will pray for you.

Blessings,
    Ann

Old 01-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
    grayfox
    (female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User

Hi,

I also have had an endoscopy because of terrible heartburn, stomach cramps every time I eat, and waking up several times a night because of reflux. The last thing I remembered before the endoscopy was performed is the nurse taking me to the operating room and being given a sedative which completely put me to sleep. When I woke up it was over and the doctor told me what he found. I have a stomach ulcer, erosive esophagitis, and gastritis. I went home several hours later and the only discomfort I felt was a sore throat. The doctor prescribed medicine to help heal my stomach and esophagus.
    Unfortunately, the medicine caused me side effects so I am trying to heal with diet alone.

Good luck with your endoscopy. I know several others that have had an endoscopy done and had no side effects.

Keep us informed.

Grayfox

Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 AM   #6
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Some months ago I had an endoscopy for gastric reflux
    It was bearable, but quite unpleasant
    I had been persuaded to manage without a sedative
    If I were to have this procedure again I would insist on a sedative

I made a note of foods/drinks that start my reflux off and avoid them
    I am taking Omeprazole with no side effects
    I also had my gallbladder removed, and my endoscopy showed a lot of bile in my stomach

Good luck

Old 01-17-2014, 06:42 AM   #7
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Hi,

I have had 4 Endoscopys and have had sedation for all of them and NEVER knew anything about it.
    One thing I will say I had the throat spray with 1 of them. NEVER will I have that again as I couldn't get my breathe and felt as though my throat had completely closed up and I was going to choke (Dreadful Sensation)...
    Other's may not have had this problem but I certainly did,

Solofelix.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
    annie42
    (female)

I've had the throat spray several times and so has my husband. Neither one of us experienced any unpleasant issues. I guess it's all about individualism.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annie42 View Post
    I've had the throat spray several times and so has my husband. Neither one of us experienced any unpleasant issues. I guess it's all about individualism.

"Maybe it was because I am an Asthmatic"
    I also have a swallowing problem at times,

Solofelix.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:28 AM   #10
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

I have a swallow problem too, as did my Mum

In fact I had a near death experience a couple of weeks ago with a spearmint softmint whilst I was alone in the house. I feel I'm lucky to still be here...someone was surely watching over me

Sorry to digress

Old 02-06-2014, 06:02 AM   #11
    scarymonster
    (male)

scarymonster HB User

I had my first scope in December and opted for spray only as I thought 'how bad can it be'.

Next time I'll try the sedative as I found it very unpleasant. If I had not had a nurse holding me down and reminding me to breath I think it could have been even worse.

I did not think they put you right out in the UK for scopes, are you still aware and just forget. I'd like to hear from someone who has tried both options. Spray and sedative on different occasions.

Last edited by scarymonster; 02-06-2014 at 06:03 AM.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:47 AM   #12
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

I had one in November and was sedated. Didn't remember anything.

You should try a different PPI. Plus take Zantec for nightime sleeping.

Best of luck.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
    solofelix
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have had four Endoscopys, three with sedation and one with spray and sedation.
    Where I live we are given a local sedation but I asked for Maximum as I did not want to know about it.
    What the sedation is I don't know all I do know is an IV line was put into the back of my hand and I was wheeled into the treatment room and I asked for max sedation, the Dr came into the room and a mouth guard was placed in my mouth. A nurse was at the side of me and I knew nothing more until I came round in recovery. Not a dream or nothing!!...
    On my fourth Endoscopy I did not ask for the spray. The nurse asked me to open my mouth and I thought it was for the mouth-guard but instead she shot this spray in and the rest is history...
    I'll NEVER have that done again, NO way. But returning to the actual Endoscopys, they were NO problem at all,

Solofelix.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
    rachelle847
    (female)

rachelle847 HB User

solofelix why didnt you like the spray? i need to have an endoscopy done an im terrified i know they put you out my dr gives propofol but im still terrified. an i def dont want the spray in the throat i think i would feel like im choking if i couldnt feel myself swallow thx for any info

Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #15
    benzbuggie
    (male)

benzbuggie HB User

i had one a week ago and they kept me awake. they gave me some half *** numbing meds and shoved the tube up my nose and brought it back down in my throat all the way down to my vocal cords. It was extremely uncomfortable but not painful one bit. The worst part is it made my eyes water from the pressure of it going up my nose, it felt like they were going to stab my brain. Not trying to scare you just being honest. Like i said, no pain, just a lot of pressure. When its all done though its kind of cool, i got to watch the recorded video of the camera go down my throat. If i had to do it again i wouldnt be scared, just irritated i had to have that thing shoved up my nose again.

Closed Thread