It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #151
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
    Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

I had HORRIBLE acid reflux a number of years ago and the GI put me on one pill, which worked for a short time. When it stopped working, I went back to him and he told me to take two of them. Since the pill only worked for a short time, I decided to look on the Internet for something more natural. Before I found the natural product, I could not go near a cup of coffee, which I do like. The long and the short of it is: Go buy yourself some aloe vera and take that or you can look up Digestinol on the Internet and see what people had to say about it. Aloe vera is a very soothing product and will do more for you than any pill. After I started taking the aloe vera, I threw out the pills and have not been near one since. If my stomach starts acting up, I take aloe vera. Told this to someone else and he started taking it and is now free of the problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #152
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
    I had HORRIBLE acid reflux a number of years ago and the GI put me on one pill, which worked for a short time. When it stopped working, I went back to him and he told me to take two of them. Since the pill only worked for a short time, I decided to look on the Internet for something more natural. Before I found the natural product, I could not go near a cup of coffee, which I do like. The long and the short of it is: Go buy yourself some aloe vera and take that or you can look up Digestinol on the Internet and see what people had to say about it. Aloe vera is a very soothing product and will do more for you than any pill. After I started taking the aloe vera, I threw out the pills and have not been near one since. If my stomach starts acting up, I take aloe vera. Told this to someone else and he started taking it and is now free of the problems.
    Did you drink the Aloe Vera straight or diluted in Juice and how many times a day did you use it. I have a huge bottle of it and I have tried it straight and diluted and so far I don't feel that it has done anything for me. I also tried Intestinew and that made me worse. I have tried 'acid ease' not sure that helped either so I am a bit wary about some of these products. I do think the DGL is very good and that helps before a meal. I am glad the aloe worked for you. I have read about several people swearing by it. Some say Apple Cider vinegar is the cure as well. Apples work well after a meal. Thanks for your suggestion it might help someone.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #153
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlily View Post
    Did you drink the Aloe Vera straight or diluted in Juice and how many times a day did you use it. I have a huge bottle of it and I have tried it straight and diluted and so far I don't feel that it has done anything for me. I also tried Intestinew and that made me worse. I have tried 'acid ease' not sure that helped either so I am a bit wary about some of these products. I do think the DGL is very good and that helps before a meal. I am glad the aloe worked for you. I have read about several people swearing by it. Some say Apple Cider vinegar is the cure as well. Apples work well after a meal. Thanks for your suggestion it might help someone.
    I took it in pill form and took large doses of it. Three in the morning, three at lunch and three more at bedtime and then as things got better, I tapered off. If you have the juice, I would not drink too much of it because it can run through you, but you have got to give the stuff time to work. Nothing works right away. I have also heard about apple cider vinegar, but am reluctant to take it. did you look up digestion on the internet and what people had to say about that.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #154
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
    I took it in pill form and took large doses of it. Three in the morning, three at lunch and three more at bedtime and then as things got better, I tapered off. If you have the juice, I would not drink too much of it because it can run through you, but you have got to give the stuff time to work. Nothing works right away. I have also heard about apple cider vinegar, but am reluctant to take it. did you look up digestion on the internet and what people had to say about that.
    Oh I didn't know the aloe came in pill form (interesting, I have learned a lot on these message boards). When you say you have to 'give it time to work' about how long to work? I have tried taking about an ounce or two with a little juice a couple of times a day but as I didn't feel anything I have been sort of irregular with it. I have a huge bottle of it that will last for ever and as I am going to be reducing my PPI maybe it will come in handy. I will look up the digestinol - thank you.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #155
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

As to how long it took, I really do not remember because it was quite some time ago and there are times, now, when I can have a little trouble, but I have not taken it regularly. I had to go on a strong program in the beginning, as I insinuated, and that really helped me. Of course, I still cannot heat spiced foods, but I do not have that burning sensation that I had before, so I may have nipped a lot of it in the bud. Good luck and if I can be of further help, please do not hesitate to ask. I could write a best seller about the medical profession and it would wipe Stepehn King's book off the shelves! There are times medication is needed, but at other times, the medication that they give out is nothing but a band aid and money maker for the medical profession and the pharmaceutical companies.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #156
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

if you click on the video when you go to Digestinol,you will hear a dr. talk and tell how beneficial it is. It i expensive for some, but to me, it was well worth it. Now, that I have listened to that dr., I learned that I should be taken it every day, so I will.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:34 PM   #157
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Danabarb where did you purchase the aloe pills from the health food store or on line?
    yes, I am a bit disgusted with doctors at the moment. I have been on a PPI for 10years and just this year started to research and see that I should not have been on it for so long. I blame myself as well for being 'comfortable' until the pills stopped working. Why do the doctors keep on giving out prescriptions one wonders. My GP threw his hands in the air because I could not switch from the Nexium 40mgs to famotidine. I didn't know at the time when I was so sick that I could not do that and apparently he didn't know either. The GI doctor has not acknowledged 'acid rebound' either but has given me 20mgs omeprazole to switch to. It has been a difficult 7 weeks with bad and good days. I am due for the endoscopy and colonoscopy next week so if all goes well I will start to reduce the 20mgs and try to get off it completely. thanks again for your input. I could not have done without the support and advice of the people on this board.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #158
    danabarb
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlily View Post
    Danabarb where did you purchase the aloe pills from the health food store or on line?
    yes, I am a bit disgusted with doctors at the moment. I have been on a PPI for 10years and just this year started to research and see that I should not have been on it for so long. I blame myself as well for being 'comfortable' until the pills stopped working. Why do the doctors keep on giving out prescriptions one wonders. My GP threw his hands in the air because I could not switch from the Nexium 40mgs to famotidine. I didn't know at the time when I was so sick that I could not do that and apparently he didn't know either. The GI doctor has not acknowledged 'acid rebound' either but has given me 20mgs omeprazole to switch to. It has been a difficult 7 weeks with bad and good days. I am due for the endoscopy and colonoscopy next week so if all goes well I will start to reduce the 20mgs and try to get off it completely. thanks again for your input. I could not have done without the support and advice of the people on this board.
    If you are interested in the Digestinol, you can call the 1-800 number there. The pills come with all the directions and as I may have said, they may be expensive, but they are worth their weight in cold. Did you read the testimonials and listen to the dr. on that web page? If you cannot afford them, go to any health food store and ask someone to help you to the aloe vera. It is such a healing product that you will not believe it. I find the drs are quick to push the medications down us way too quickly and as I may have said, those meds, in many cases are nothing but band aids and do not get to the core of the problem. I have very little respect for the doctors after what they have put me through. They have drugged me to the hills, and misdiagnosed me many times. You will get better, if you take this stuff. Please feel free to write with any questions and if I can help, I glady will. I do not know that I would go for the endoscopy, if I were you, if your problem is acid reflux because the dr is just going to tell you that you have that and prescribed more medication and then go around the world on the money he earned. When doctors hear someone has a problem, the first thing they want to do is sent a patient for a test of some sort. Now, don't get me wrong; tests are sometimes necessary.Last of all, please do not blame yourself. We grow up learning to have faith in our doctors and it is not until we discover that they are not gods, that we all wake up, myself included. I think they can put their hands on a lot of illnesses, but the big drug companies and the drs are backing each other. Stay in touch to let me know how you are doing, please.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM   #159
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

How is everyone doing? I had a rough few days (from reducing!)... hard to believe you can get rebound when you are only taking 2mg isn't it, but the proof is there every time I reduce.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #160
    Rebeccca
    (female)

Rebeccca HB UserRebeccca HB User
    I'm so sorry that you are hitting another rough patch. I'm praying for your complete healing. Today has been rough for me as well. Ever since I took that zantac this morning the reflux has not really let up.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #161
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
    How is everyone doing? I had a rough few days (from reducing!)... hard to believe you can get rebound when you are only taking 2mg isn't it, but the proof is there every time I reduce.
    HI Kacyc, are you doing any better? What sort of reaction did you have? Hard to believe that small amount of a PPi can still cause havoc when you don't take it? How do you measure 2mgs? Do you take it once or twice a day? Are you going to take the plunge and stop taking it altogether soon? I had a bad night last night. It just started for no reason. I didn't do anything any different than I have before and I got the pressure and quivering in my chest. Makes me wonder if it is my heart but who knows? I had an ekg in March and it was fine so I assume it is to do with acid reflux. I think my body is still in shock from reducing it by half and I wonder just how long it is going to take to stop all these weird odd feelings and if I will ever be normal again. It has just taken over my life. I hope you had a better day today. Keep on posting so we know how you are doing.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #162
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rebeccca View Post
    I'm so sorry that you are hitting another rough patch. I'm praying for your complete healing. Today has been rough for me as well. Ever since I took that zantac this morning the reflux has not really let up.
    Rebecca, I hope today was a better day for you today. Didn't the Zantac help you yesterday at all? Let us know how you are doing.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #163
    Rebeccca
    (female)

Rebeccca HB UserRebeccca HB User
    Lily today was a good day. Praise The Lord for answered prayer! I hope you had a good day today. The zantac did not help at all but intensified the pain. Crazy. I'm praying for all of you!!

Old 05-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #164
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

[QUOTE=imlily;5289993 [B]HI Kacyc, are you doing any better? What sort of reaction did you have? Hard to believe that small amount of a PPi can still cause havoc when you don't take it? [/B]

Hi, I get a reaction every time I reduce! It is no longer unbearable like it used to be but still get some degree of hyper acidity every time and all that goes with that. It is hard to believe, but in another way it makes sense because every mg blocks a certain amount of acid and hence removing some will free up some extra acid. In normality we actually secrete tiny amounts of acid, so any extra amount is too much!

How do you measure 2mgs? Do you take it once or twice a day?

I count the granules. I have had to do that ever since I went from 40mg to 20mg. Any other way was not possible, as the next 'official' step down would have had to be 20mg - down to 10mg, and that would be too much.

I take it twice a day (1mg twice a day now).

You might be interested to know that when I did the initial jump and had the horrendous rebound that followed, when I had got down to 17mg I introduced a small night dose and started taking 5mg at night. So I was then on 17 mg + 5 mg. I kept the 5mg evening dose the same all the way through the journey and only reduced the day dose gradually.

I did this on the basis it would, in the long run not take any longer to come off because when I got the day dose down to 5mg I would then start reducing the night and day dose by an equal amount so that reducing the night dose would not be left until I was off the day dose, if you get what I mean. And, this has worked. I have been able to reduce day and night together since I started doing this. Hence I am now on 1mg + 1mg.

Are you going to take the plunge and stop taking it altogether soon?

No, I am not taking any plunges. I could, yes, but why give my body an acid shock, when I can slowly but surely steadily get off it. If I try to speed up the ending, I might set myself back as it is sure to give a worse burst of rebound than I get when i take individual granules out, and that would not the way I want to end this journey.

I had a bad night last night. It just started for no reason. I didn't do anything any different than I have before and I got the pressure and quivering in my chest. Makes me wonder if it is my heart but who knows? I had an ekg in March and it was fine so I assume it is to do with acid reflux. I think my body is still in shock from reducing it by half and I wonder just how long it is going to take to stop all these weird odd feelings and if I will ever be normal again. It has just taken over my life. I hope you had a better day today. Keep on posting so we know how you are doing.QUOTE]

You will be normal again. I know how it feels when you get a bad day or night that appears to be out of nowhere, but is infact part of the rebalancing process. It is not linear, it is like a pendulum. It is a huge shock for the body, we are simply not meant to produce this much acid, and only acid suppressants can cause that! It does take over your life. I believe it doesn't matter what type of person you are, how strong, how positive, when the acid comes it doesn't matter who you are, it takes control. To me it used to feel like a monster inside my body. But let me reassure you I am nearly 'normal'... and you will get there.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #165
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Kacyc, thank you for explaining things to me. I hope you are correct and I will eventually feel 'normal. When I first began taking a PPI it was 20mgs and I didn't have all these weird feelings I get now taking 20mgs. It has taken it's toll switching from 40mgs to 20mgs. I am wary about food all the time. I can eat something one day and be fine then the next I am not. I must say I am a little better than I was 2 months ago. Before that I had 2 months of switching or at least trying to switch to Famotidine then a week or more of alternating days on nexium. Neither of those things worked so at least I should be happy I am only on one 20mgs omeprazole now. So far that makes it 4 months of lost time. I don't think I could count the little balls in the medicine as they are so very fine so I am going to have to sort of guess at it when I do start to reduce it in a week or so. It is a complicated matter this digestive system as everyone is different and different things work for different people. I am trying not to take any other kind of acid reducer along the way but I worry that I am hurting something inside of me. I am not sure any of these 'natural' things work well. I have tried several and I don't feel any different. the dgl seems to help a bit. On good days it is hard to stay on a bland boring diet and I crave something really good. I have missed bread so I ate a sandwich this afternoon for lunch and really enjoyed it and so far so good.
    I am having the endoscopy and colonoscopy this coming Monday which I am not looking forward to at all. I never drink fruit juices or Gatorade or soda but the doctors office tell me to do just that. Don't they get it??? My stomach is very sensitive and that is the whole reason I am having the endoscopy to see what is up with it. I don't think they listen, either that or they don't care and are just looking for the money.....
    I hope you manage to take the plunge soon and be PPi free. Keep on posting as everyone likes to hear a success story. It will spur me on to start reducing after I have these tests.

The following user gives a hug of support to imlily:
    hayleyBW (05-19-2014)
    Closed Thread