It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #166
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
    Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

Quite a journey isn't it?

I have gone from 40mg a day to 20mg to 10mg and am having the most difficulty getting off the 10mg
    I tried counting the balls, but they're too small
    So it's cold turkey every other day for me
    Last night was the first night that it went well
    I am tempted to have none tonight as well, but probably won't do that for a while yet

My Doctor told me you can just stop taking PPI'S...I don't think so

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #167
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

The reason you have the most difficult getting off the 10mg is because you still have rebound from the 40 to 20 jump and 20 to 10 jump. You won't have fully rebalanced from that yet and then you are adding further acid making potential with every jump, so I can understand it feels harder rather than easier.

The balls are tiny, I developed a knack for counting them... the doctor said I must have OCD to do that, but the doctor has not had acid rebound, obviously, because if counting tiny balls saves the pain I initially went through so be it.

I do understand not everyone wants to do that, but what if you guesstimated half a capsule and took (approximately) 5mg every day rather than 10mg every other day?

Its just personal preference, because every time i altered the dose I get withdrawel symptoms (headache, dizzy, nauseous, bone pain) so for me doing the every other day method meant I had symptoms every single day because every day would be different. But different methods work for different people. However you do it, I wish you luck and hope it works without too much more pain.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #168
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Yes, I am going to estimate half and take that each day
    Could I sprinkle it on yoghurt?
    I put it water but that wasn't ideal

Old 05-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #169
    Shelleymcv
    (female)

Shelleymcv HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BecPPIhater View Post
    Oh that is terrible. Do you get the quick sharp chest pains too? That can sometimes linger for a day. Horrible
    Hi this is my first time here and first post. I have experienced all the symptoms that others on here do. I also get the sharp chest pain right in my sternum. I wondered if it was nerve pain. I have not been to a doctor of any of my symptoms....but from what I read on here it sounds a lot like gerd.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:53 PM   #170
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rainbowsrock View Post
    Yes, I am going to estimate half and take that each day
    Could I sprinkle it on yoghurt?
    I put it water but that wasn't ideal
    Apparently you can take it on yoghurt or apple sauce or something, but I have not done that. I make my own capsules, using the capsules from DGL licorice from which I have emptied out the DGL to take in water.

Or, you could simply discard half the contents and just use what is left but obviously they will last longer if you can use both halves of one capsule.

I think you will get on better if you are able to take the same amount each day, until you are ready to reduce again. That said, some people (not me) have been successful with the alternate day method of weaning! Good luck

The Following User Says Thank You to kacyc For This Useful Post:
    rainbowsrock (05-18-2014)
    Old 05-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #171
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlily View Post
    Hi Kacyc, thank you for explaining things to me. I hope you are correct and I will eventually feel 'normal. When I first began taking a PPI it was 20mgs and I didn't have all these weird feelings I get now taking 20mgs. It has taken it's toll switching from 40mgs to 20mgs. I am wary about food all the time. I can eat something one day and be fine then the next I am not. I must say I am a little better than I was 2 months ago. Before that I had 2 months of switching or at least trying to switch to Famotidine then a week or more of alternating days on nexium. Neither of those things worked so at least I should be happy I am only on one 20mgs omeprazole now. So far that makes it 4 months of lost time. I don't think I could count the little balls in the medicine as they are so very fine so I am going to have to sort of guess at it when I do start to reduce it in a week or so. It is a complicated matter this digestive system as everyone is different and different things work for different people. I am trying not to take any other kind of acid reducer along the way but I worry that I am hurting something inside of me. I am not sure any of these 'natural' things work well. I have tried several and I don't feel any different. the dgl seems to help a bit. On good days it is hard to stay on a bland boring diet and I crave something really good. I have missed bread so I ate a sandwich this afternoon for lunch and really enjoyed it and so far so good.
    I am having the endoscopy and colonoscopy this coming Monday which I am not looking forward to at all. I never drink fruit juices or Gatorade or soda but the doctors office tell me to do just that. Don't they get it??? My stomach is very sensitive and that is the whole reason I am having the endoscopy to see what is up with it. I don't think they listen, either that or they don't care and are just looking for the money.....
    I hope you manage to take the plunge soon and be PPi free. Keep on posting as everyone likes to hear a success story. It will spur me on to start reducing after I have these tests.
    Hi Lily, I hope I am not too late (with the time difference) to wish you luck for your tests on monday. I know they are not pleasant but they are over pretty quickly and hopefully they will put your mind at rest.

Its really good news that you notice you are better than you were 2 months ago. That's what I found: every couple of months I would realise I had improved a bit. Its hardly noticeable at the time, but when you look back you can tell you are getting better. And just think in another 2 months you will be that much better still, and hopefully on the road to getting off the meds.

I know its a bit of a pain with the tiny balls - I spilt them all over the kitchen floor once, and it was like trying to sweep sand off a beach!! But for me i was so sensitive to reducing I found it the best way forward. You can guess the amount if you prefer, or even get yourself some 10mgs along the way.

Thinking of you and sending you healing that the tests go smoothly.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:14 PM   #172
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Thank you Kaycyc
    That is what I am going to do
    Last night wasn't too bad with the estimated half a 10mg capsule
    Have just done the same...fingers crossed for tonight

(I ended up shaping the balls into a rectangle, 'cutting' it in half with a sharp knife...wetting a finger to pick up one half, placing on tongue and swilling them down with water)

Old 05-18-2014, 05:29 PM   #173
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I am always open to new creative ways of cutting down on PPIs! ;-)

You could try using the 'lid' half of the capsule as a measure and cut it slightly shorter when you are ready to take less than half.

The Following User Says Thank You to kacyc For This Useful Post:
    rainbowsrock (05-19-2014)
    Old 05-19-2014, 03:16 AM   #174
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Last night wasn't too bad too...feeling hopeful

Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 AM   #175
    hayleyBW
    (female)

hayleyBW HB UserhayleyBW HB User

Good luck Lily on your endoscopy and colonoscopy today!!! I hope the prep wasn't too awful and that you are feeling well. (((Hugs))) for a good day and good results.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #176
    hayleyBW
    (female)

Glad you had a good night rainbows rock. Here's hoping that's just one of many many more to come!

The Following User Says Thank You to hayleyBW For This Useful Post:
    rainbowsrock (05-19-2014)
    Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #177
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

Ladies I must apologise for not being on here to support you all lately, I have been without internet access. But I am back now. I have just sat and read through ALL of your posts, I see we have some new comers trying to stop PPI's. And I see you are all providing such great support to each other. I know this board has helped me not to touch the PPI's again, I have been cold turkey off Nexium 40mg for approx 8 months now, and have burnt in my stomach/abdomen for that long, I seem to be getting a week or so where I feel normal again, and then a few days where the burning is just plain hell and I feel miserable

The sharp pains in the left shoulder blade, arm etc I can relate too. This is something that happended to me that the doctor could not explain, also the very sore throat.

I am still not better, I have horrible burning today and had hoped all the burning would have stopped by now. But it hasnt, if this is just 'rebalancing' it is taking a long time. I have picked up some aloe vera juice to try to see if that helps soothe it.

Some of you mentioned you are on Zantac, this did not work for me, if anything it created heartburn, with I dont otherwise get, I get mostly burning in my stomach, sometimes mostly on the right side of my belly button.

Lily - I hope all went well with your tests, please keep us informed.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: BecPPIhater
    hayleyBW (05-21-2014),rainbowsrock (05-21-2014)
    Old 05-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #178
    hayleyBW
    (female)

Hey Bec, I am sorry you are still dealing with this and I hope at least you are having more good days than bad. Have you had any more tests done just to make sure you don't have an ulcer or anything? It's great that you have been off Nexium for so long and I am sending lots of hugs and good thoughts your way.

Best,
    Hayley

Old 05-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #179
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Bec, I was hoping you had disappeared because you were fine. I hoped, and expected, you would be better by now. It is a long time, and understand how fed up you must be feeling.

Can you notice any difference at all, to say 6 months ago?

I know it fluctuates, but if you take an overview of how you are now to how you were then, is anything better or worse, or has anything changed at all?

Hope the aloe vera provides some relief.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #180
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

Unfortunately not Kacyc.

I have had a lot of tests done, to make sure there is nothing else causing this. Parasite tests clear, bacteria tests clear, endoscope in February clear. The only thing I havent had repeated is the colonoscopy.

When I first stopped taking the Nexium is was HELL, its still bad but I dont think it is quite the hell I was experiencing 6 months ago.

I had hoped to be feeling normal again, doctors cant seem to work out why I am feeling this way, they are putting it down to non-ulcer dyspepsia.

How are you travelling Kacyc? and Hayley?

Closed Thread