It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #16
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
    Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BecPPIhater View Post
    I dont want to speak too soon, but I have actually had 3 really good days, with minimal burning in my stomach.

Did you too experience burning in your stomach Kacyc? I get this more so then heart burn.

Imlily - I did get dizzy when taking Nexium, and also when I first stopped taking it.
    That's really good news. You are not speaking too soon, the fact you have had 3 good days, means you are starting to rebalance.

Yes, I get burning in the stomach. I also get a stinging sensation in the whole of my stomach/ chest area. And a tight sensation round my middle, as if someone is pulling a tight band round me. Do you ever get this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #17
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

I hope so, this tends to follow with some bad days (I wonder why that is?!), but my good days seem to be getting longer in between.

I have often felt a tight sensation, which makes me feel a little short of breath. As if someone if giving me a big squeezy hug.

I get short sharp intermitent pains in my chest, usually near my left breast but towards the middle, if that makes sense. I have been to emergency a fair few times about that, as it really hurts and concerns me being in my chest. They usually just do ecg (by the time I get there the pain has usually stopped)

Old 03-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #18
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

Hi Kacyc,

Wondering how you are going?

I am STILL struggling with burning in my stomach, I fear I may have this forever

Really losing hope lately...

Old 03-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

HI, I had a couple of bad days myself.

You won't have it forever, acid rebound won't last forever, although I know it can feel that way sometimes.

I also find that some bad days follow good days, just when you think you are getting better. My understanding of this is because acid rebound is infact an imbalance. The reason you get hyperacidity after taking acid suppressing drugs is because the gastrin level goes up. Gastrin is a hormone that stimulates acid secretion. Hence when you take away the acid suppressant, and gastrin has risen, acid goes hay wire!

When you have a bad day, more acid is secreted, but the higher level of acid will bring down the gastrin level. (so the bad days are the eventual cure). Less gastrin will then mean less acid. But, in turn, less acid will cause the gastrin to go up again. Its a pendulum swinging back and forth until eventually it will settle back to normal again. It still swings back and forth, that is normal, but it will be within normal parameters. Taking nexium sends all normal parameters wild, and sadly that is what you are suffering. YOU WILL GET BETTER .

Old 03-27-2014, 06:47 PM   #20
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Kacyc and Beccppihater, Your posts are really helping me. I am struggling with the same thing. I was on Nexium 40mgs and have moved to 20mgs Prilosec but I am having some very bad days with the burning bloating headache sick feeling. I was ready to give up today and have struggled through it. I is so weird to have a couple of decent days of feeling 'normal' then it is like a step back again. How long have you both been trying to get off the PPI's all told. Kacyc your last post was reassuring and interesting thank you.
    Lily

Old 03-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #21
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

In honesty, it has taken me 2 years to (almost) get off PPIs.

Initially I went from 40mg Omeprazole down to 20mg in one leap. Pain was not the word for what I experienced. However, having an understanding of what was happening I hung in there. It was excruciating horrific pain for about 3 months and then it subsided a bit, enough for me to start reducing again.

However, having gone through that, I couldn't do it again. So, although I knew I could jump from 20mg down to zero and be over it in another 3 months I simply couldn't take that degree of pain again.

From then I have been reducing slowly and am almost off it completely. I have a few more weeks to go before I will be able to come on here and tell you I actually did it, but I am near enough now to believe I will do it.

It has been difficult the whole way through this journey, but it has got easier. At times I have been desperate to take the stuff to take the pain away, but I knew in the long run it would make me worse. I knew so deeply that the meds were the cause of the pain I put all my energy, strength and faith into get off it.

Hoping you will do the same.

Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #22
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Wow 2 years is a looong time. I am hoping I can do it in a shorter time (might not last 2 years - lol) The DGL works pretty good before meals and I am now also looking into a product called Acid Ease. It is all natural. I am trying not to use any sort of acid suppressant besides the Prilosec for now but it is very difficult when I feel so miserable. Night time seems to be the worst. I also seem to have a couple of good days now and again then I am back to the misery. Yes, pains in my left chest are awful and were so bad one day I went to get an EKC as well. I think I made a major move going from Nexium 40mgs to Prilosec 20mgs which I did 2 weeks ago. I was hoping to to go a bit lower but I can't just yet. Have you looked at foods that are less acidic and more alkaline. I have done that today and find it interesting. I will keep you posted on my progress as well. Keep on posting as you both go along with this process. It is nice to read what people are going through as well as yourself. Thank you both.
    lily

Old 04-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to check in to see how you are both doing?

It has been 7 months since I stopped Nexium 40mg cold turkey. And I am STILL having trouble with burning sensation in my stomach, very rarely ever get heartburn.

I dont want to seem like a downer, but I am really struggling to get through each day. When I have a few good days, I feel normal again, like life will once again return to normal for me. But then I have a few horrible days of burning, even my back burns. I am also getting joint pain.

My bowel movements are almost always yellow following the few days of burning agony, do you ladies experience this?

I hope you are both doing well, I have been thinking of you.

Bec.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #24
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hello I am so glad to hear from you. I have really been struggling with this reduction from 40mgs Nexium to 20mgs Prilosec. Yesterday I think was the absolute worst day with nausea, burning, headache and feeling off balance and miserable all day. I am just starting my 4th week into this reduction and had hoped to get it down a bit further but I think it will have to wait a while although I am so anxious to get off this darned PPI. I think after 10 years I am going to have to be patient. I really am trying not to take any other sort of acid reducer unless I use natural stuff from the health food store. I am sorry BecPPIhater that you are still struggling. You were very brave to go cold turkey. I know I could not have done that as I have tried many times to alternate days or switch to Famotidine and nothing has worked. Have you tried any sort of product like Acid Ease or Heartburn Ease. I am trying the acid ease before lunch and dinner and I think it has helped. I also use dgl sometimes. How often do you get the burning after 7 months of no PPI? If it is any consolation I read somewhere it can take up to a year. I hope you feel better soon. Keep on posting as it always helps to share a problem and hear what other people have to say.
    Lily

Old 04-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #25
    Power on
    (male)

Power on HB User
    Imlily I'm glad you found this healthboard it is by far the best and most active I was just reading your post on another board and post I was going to recommended you come here for help and answer

Good luck and welcome

Old 04-09-2014, 02:52 AM   #26
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Interesting thread

I recently reduced from 40mg Omeprazole to 20mg, straight off, after reading that these drugs can cause bone fractures after long term use

It was hard as my symptoms were being controlled and now they're not

As my main problem is in bed at night when the acid/bile comes right into my mouth, and sometimes into my nose/sinuses/lungs, I have to balance the fear of bone fractures with the damage to my throat which can cause throat cancer in some people

Gaviscon doesn't help me

I am embarking on a diet to see if losing weight helps

My sympathies to you all...reflux stinks!

Old 04-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #27
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

Can anyone please tell me if you have trouble with pains in the stomach from foul smelling, soft yellow bowel movements, sometimes with undigested food?

This is really bothering me. My main other symptom is daily burning in my stomach.

Feeling down

The following user gives a hug of support to BecPPIhater:
    rainbowsrock (04-10-2014)
    Old 04-09-2014, 05:31 PM   #28
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Beccppihater, I am so sorry you are feeling down today. Have you tried any kind of digestive enzymes. many people swear by them. I bought some but they gave me diarrhea but it sounds like you need some help in the digesting food department. I really sympathize with you after you have suffered through getting off your PPI. I am so struggling with this and wonder if I am really sick and there is something wrong with me. This is now my 4th week on the 20mgs versus 40mgs and I feel worse now than I did the first week. This is horrible. I want to enjoy life and go out and eat in restaurants again. Everyone thinks I am making this stuff up and look at me and sigh!!! I hate it! Sorry I just needed to vent. I am nauseaus and my stomach hurts and I don't want food. Keep on posting and let us know how you are doing.

The following user gives a hug of support to imlily:
    rainbowsrock (04-10-2014)
    Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 AM   #29
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BecPPIhater View Post
    Can anyone please tell me if you have trouble with pains in the stomach from foul smelling, soft yellow bowel movements, sometimes with undigested food?

This is really bothering me. My main other symptom is daily burning in my stomach.

Feeling down
    I haven't specifically had that same problem, but I can see how it could happen from acid. I do get weird digestive problems since going on/ and coming off PPIs. They interfere with digestion.

what remedies are you currently taking?

Old 04-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #30
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Thank you Power On for the welcome and thank you to Rainbowsrock for the hug.
    All support is very welcome. Beccppihater how are you doing? Feeling any better yet? These drugs can really mess with the digestive system so I hope you are finding something that is helping you.
    I have actually had a day and a half of feeling 'Normal' for a change. I hope this means I am maybe seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I am not too confident though as it seems like one day is good then 2 or 3 days are horrible again. It is so weird that it isn't all the time. However, good job it isn't or non of us would be able to get off this medicine. I bought a green smoothie today and some almond milk so I am going to try and supplement my boring diet with those for a change and hope they give me some good nutrition. I have lost 15lbs since the beginning of February with this situation. Now and again I feel hungry which is a change because the last 2 months I haven't really wanted food I have felt so rotton. I hope you all are feeling a bit better keep on posting so we can support one another.

Closed Thread