It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #31
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User
    Unhappy Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

Hello everyone, Should I assume you are all feeling better as nobody has posted in a few days. Becppihater have you solved your problem and feel somewhat better. Now going into my 5th week from 40mgs to 20mgs and I have had 2 days of feeling 'normal'. However it was short lived and I am back to the fluttering in the chest and feeling sick and off balance again. For the last couple of evenings I have had a feeling like something is stuck in my throat. Has anyone else had this and how do you stop it. I was scared last night so I took an OTC acid reducer which I didn't want to do because I think it inhibits the rebalancing. Has anyone heard of 'Acid Ease'. I have some and it does seem to help but I am not sure if I should be taking it as I take blood pressure medicine. The disclaimers always say 'check with your health care professional'. Yeah right like they have ever heard of 'Acid Ease'. when I asked the GI doctor about DGL he didn't have a clue. So, I am sort of going it alone here. Hope to hear from you all soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2014, 10:44 AM   #32
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
    Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

doctors won't discuss things like DGL, nor will they acknowledge the difficulties in coming off PPIs, so yes, you are alone in terms of medical support.

What's in 'acid ease'?

Old 04-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #33
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Kacyc how are you? The ingredients in the Acid Ease are as following
    marshmallow root, slippery elm and pure plant enzymes.
    My GI doctor also thought I was a bit neurotic and gave me something for anxiety which is one of the side effects of Prilosec. I also don't handle stress well so it is a double whammy. Did you get the 'stuck in the throat' feeling at all? I don't seem to have it all the time, mainly in the evenings.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:07 AM   #34
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Kacyc, I had the worst pain ever yesterday. It is now 4 weeks since I jumped from the 40mgs to the 20mgs shouldn't it be getting less and less by now? I was so discouraged and miserable. When you went through it in the earlier days how did you handle the pain and how long before it gets less. I didn't feel well from the get go yesterday and it got worse and worse until I was ready to go to the emergency room with pain in my left chest. That lasted hours until finally just before bed it subsided into a dull ache in my stomach area. Where did you get your encouragement from to continue. I have been taking the nexium for months and I am now sick taking the lesser Prilosec. Not sure which way to turn. Any encouragement would be appreciated. I wouldn't mind but I am not even close to being off the PPI only half way there.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 PM   #35
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Ah, sorry to hear that, I remember I got my worse pain 1 month after dropping from 40mg to 20mg!

Honestly I don't know where I got the strength and will to get through it. It was the worse pain of my entire life and infact I cannot imagine the body can feel anything worse. People of course didn't believe me. But I know what you are going through and I completely empathise.

Sadly, I got no encouragement, because no-one really understood what I was going through. But my strength came from increasing my understanding of what was going on and hanging on to my belief of what I had to do to get better, and that was get off the medication and not turn to it when I felt terrible. That was the hardest thing, because as you feel worse you know the only thing that will take away the pain is more medication, but I knew it was the thing causing my pain, and I got through the bad days knowing they would lead to better days.

It was about 3 months before the level of pain dropped, but the pain during those first 3 months wasn't every day, it was approx every other day. The pain goes up and down, but overall it steadily got less.

You need to hang in there, take all the remedies you can to get you through the bad days and have hope and belief you will get better. Because you will.

PS. Do be aware that PPIs can cause anxiety, but also that the meds for anxiety can cause reflux, so may be making matters worse!

Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #36
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Kacyc, I was sooooo glad to hear from you. Yesterday I had the worst pain in the left side of my chest ever. I was sooooo scared from it. To comfort myself I read over and over all your posts and they really helped me stay strong. Can I ask what did you do when you had so much pain to protect the digestive tract anything? I had the terrible pain for around 6 hours then it subsided a little bit to a dull ache in my stomach. This is going into my 5th week. I hope I can hold on and get through it as you have done. You are my inspiration so keep on posting and giving me a hand with this. I wonder how Becppihater is I was concerned about her problems but she hasn't posted in a while. Any advice on what to eat other than bland boring foods. I bought some almond milk and made a milk shake with bananas and strawberries and it seems to be OK with me today although I didn't drink it all at once. It made a good snack. I see you are in London. I have a nephew that works at Kings University and I was born in Stockport. I hope you are having a decent day. I can't wait to get rid of this PPI and hope I will be able to eat something good when I get off them. Keep on posting - please.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #37
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I sure will keep on posting. This site has helped me a lot and I am glad to be able to help other people going through the same.

I only ate bland boring foods, didn't even think about 'cheating' as the results were not worth it.

You have to find what is good for you, but I would say strawberries are too acidic, bananas are good. Papaya is good, melon is very good. I don't eat any other fruits.

I tried to give my oesophagus anti-inflammatory cooling calming things including coconut water and DGL licorice. I tried slippery elm, not as good as DGL and marshmallow made me sick ( i think it was that).

I also tried visualisation to help just try and relax through such extreme stress. You don't need any special skills, just sit calmly and visualise healing energy (in whatever form works for you) healing and cooling down the oesophagus and into the stomach.

BTW I did get the lump in throat/tight throat feeling a lot at night and the relaxation helped that particular symptom quite well.

Hang in there and hope tomorrow is a good day. (don't forget to be careful on days when you are not in pain though!)

Old 04-14-2014, 04:28 PM   #38
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

I thought strawberries were acidic as well but I saw them on a low alkaline chart. Maybe I will stay away from them for a while. How long did you feel that stuck in the throat feeling. It is Ok during the day for the most part but at night it is there and it sort of worries me. Is that just a part of this reduction process do you think and will it eventually go away. I am scared I am damaging something.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM   #39
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

You ladies are the only thing keeping me sane. I am sorry I have not posted in a while, I havent been feeling the best. I am sorry to hear that you have had such a terrible time imlily. I would say stick in there, its gets better. But I do still have a terrible few days of burning in my stomach/abdomen that leaves me disheartened at times. We just need to be strong. How are you going now Kacyc? Are you off your PPI's?

I have now been off everything for approx. 6 months, possibly more, I have lost track now. But I definately do still have horrible burning in my stomach. Feels like it is in my intestines

Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #40
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Becppihater, I am glad to see you posting. I need all the encouragement I can get. I am sure you get discouraged now and again especially on the bad days. Were you diagnosed with Gerd in the first place? If so then maybe those of some of the same symptoms you started with before taking a PPI. Do you have the burning every day or just sometimes? Are you being very careful what you eat even on the good days. Keep on posting when you can. It is good to be able to have a moan to those that understand what you are going through.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:55 PM   #41
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

Hi imlily,

I did not have GERD prior to starting Nexium, all I had was episodes of explosive painful diarrhea, which they put down to IBS. I was put on Nexium in hospital once for chest pains, incase reflux was the cause, and have not been the same since

How are you doing?

I get the burning badly for a few days, then I get 1 or 2 with minimal burning, then its back again. I thought it would of stopped by now.

I have had every test done possible, I keep getting worried that something more serious could be going on given the pain I have been getting. But I dont see how when the tests all come back normal :S

The following user gives a hug of support to BecPPIhater:
    pazshalom (05-06-2014)
    Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #42
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

I should also mention that I had my blood gastrin level checked recently to see if it was elevated at all, I know there is a theory that stopping PPI's causes the Gastrin level to rise causing too much acid. My Gastrin level was perfectly normal I am so confused!

Old 04-15-2014, 05:19 AM   #43
    rj965
    (male)

rj965 HB User

Hi BecPPIhater, So are you completely off PPIs now? Also, what did you do for the IBS? I have been suffering from it for 20 years now on and off, never really serious, but persistent; and have only recently found the right combination of supplements to get it under control.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #44
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BecPPIhater View Post
    I should also mention that I had my blood gastrin level checked recently to see if it was elevated at all, I know there is a theory that stopping PPI's causes the Gastrin level to rise causing too much acid. My Gastrin level was perfectly normal I am so confused!
    Hi Bec, I am very surprised that your gastrin was normal. They refused to test mine, but I got it done privately and it was high! What was your gastrin reading? and what time of day did you have it done and were you taking any medication at the time?

Sorry you are still bad after this long. I'm sure it will get better, but I know how disheartening it can be. Do hope this is the last of it for you and you will soon be back to pre-PPI state of health.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #45
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlily View Post
    I thought strawberries were acidic as well but I saw them on a low alkaline chart. Maybe I will stay away from them for a while. How long did you feel that stuck in the throat feeling. It is Ok during the day for the most part but at night it is there and it sort of worries me. Is that just a part of this reduction process do you think and will it eventually go away. I am scared I am damaging something.
    The feeling of a lump in the throat can be caused by indigestion, which can be caused by taking PPIs.

The more painful sort of spasm feeling in the throat, from what I understand, and what makes sense to me is that when acid begins to come up the oespohapus the upper part of the oespophaugs closes off to prevent acid getting into the lungs. It is a spasm, hence it will be helped by trying to relax. It was worse for me when lying down at night, even though my bed is inclined, and worse when lying on my side (either side). It was better if I lay on my back with my head straight, which I support to stop it rolling about. I found that minimised the throat pain. I only had it sometimes, when i was very bad. I don't get it any more!!

Closed Thread