It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2014, 05:11 PM   #46
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User
    Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

Hi Kacyc,

They had me tested for gastrin first thing in the morning, and had me 'fast' prior. So nothing to eat or drink. They did not show me my level, just told me that it was fine.

I had the sore lump in throat feeling too, but this was when I was on the Nexium. And when I very first stopped it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #47
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BecPPIhater View Post
    Hi Kacyc,

They had me tested for gastrin first thing in the morning, and had me 'fast' prior. So nothing to eat or drink. They did not show me my level, just told me that it was fine.

I had the sore lump in throat feeling too, but this was when I was on the Nexium. And when I very first stopped it.
    That's a shame you didn't get your gastrin result. I wonder if it was at the higher end of 'normal'. It could be that after so long it has come down from having been high. There are other factors that cause rebound hyperacidity, so it could be that your gastrin was high and is now coming down, or that it read fine, but is still higher than it might have been before you took PPis, or that it is completely back to normal but that you are still secreting too much acid due to other factors or, hopefully, that you will be back to normal very soon and the test indicated this. Do hope it is the latter!

Old 04-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #48
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User
    Cool Re: Acid rebound from NEXIUM!!!

Hello, I have had a hard time getting into this website the last couple of days. So I am not sure If anyone has posted anything new. Kacyc how are you doing? Becppihater are you any better. I have missed reading accounts from both of you. Kacyc on one of your posts you mentioned having off days every other day sometimes during your withdrawal. I think that is where I am about now 5 weeks into my journey. I suffer mainly with a lot of nausea some days and others I have pains everywhere. I feel like I am sort of mirroring your Journey as I did the jump from 40msg to 20mgs in one go. But I thought by now I would have been able to drop it some more but I don't feel well enough. I need a few days all in a row of feeling pretty well. Like you I don't really want to use any other acid suppressants but wonder if I might have to give in on that when I start to down grade. I guess some people manage to get off their PPI without any problems within a few weeks but then we really don't know do we as they don't post months into the withdrawal from the PPI's. From what I gather it can take months and months and the rebound will come back. Yuk I hope mine doesn't because I am about to lose my mind. I hope you guys soon post again I have missed reading from you.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 AM   #49
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

It took me about 3 months before I felt able to reduce some more after the initial drop from 40m g down to 20mg. You need more than a few good days before you start reducing again, if you are not ok at this level then further reducing will make you worse so be patient. YOu will get better.

Once you do feel better and able to face more acid, you have some choices, either you can do another 20mg leap and be on none, or you can do smaller reductions and so limit the pain but it will take longer. You could reduce to 10mg or 5mg, or do what I ended up doing and taking out tiny amounts just to try to control the pain, and not need other drugs.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #50
    BreeCanada
    (female)

BreeCanada HB User

I was on 40mg x 2 PPI for 5 months and am on the 2nd phase of weaning off. First I started reducing my evening dose from 40mg to 20mg every 2nd night and did this for about a week, then I took 20mg every night for about a week and then 20mg every 2nd night for a week and then nothing in the evening. Now I am doing the same thing with the morning dose and am currently doing 40mg one day and 20mg the next and by next week I will go to 20mg every morning and see how that goes. So far I have only had one day of real rebound in the first stage and anticipate a bit in this 2nd stage.

I eliminated gluten grains and milk and introduced enzymes, probiotics, glutamine, zinc and magnesium before I started to wean and think that it helped

Old 04-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #51
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Kacyc, Yes, I am going to take it very slowly getting of this PPI. The mind is so willing but the body can't take another drop as rapidly as I have done this first one. You are certainly my inspiration and when I think I can't take another day I think that YOU DID IT and so can I. The Nexium was making just as sick as I am now anyway but I don't like this Prilosec either. I live eat and breathe this problem every single minute and I get paranoid over every little odd feeling I have. I have now completed 5 weeks into this and often think I haven't made many inroads into getting off this medicine compared to some people that say they did it just a few weeks. I have to remember I was on it for so long that my body with all the changes to diet and medicine is trying to cope with it all. I wish it was all over and I could get back to some semblance of enjoying live again.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #52
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imlily View Post
    Hi Kacyc, Yes, I am going to take it very slowly getting of this PPI. The mind is so willing but the body can't take another drop as rapidly as I have done this first one. You are certainly my inspiration and when I think I can't take another day I think that YOU DID IT and so can I. The Nexium was making just as sick as I am now anyway but I don't like this Prilosec either. I live eat and breathe this problem every single minute and I get paranoid over every little odd feeling I have. I have now completed 5 weeks into this and often think I haven't made many inroads into getting off this medicine compared to some people that say they did it just a few weeks. I have to remember I was on it for so long that my body with all the changes to diet and medicine is trying to cope with it all. I wish it was all over and I could get back to some semblance of enjoying live again.
    around 5 weeks I was at my worst, so you have made inroads, just by getting there, and you never have to be there again. Just think of that. You will never be as bad as your worst days now.

Some people can do it in a few weeks, some have no rebound at all, it only affects about 43% of people who have taken PPIs, and there are many factors which will influence how badly you are affected.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #53
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BreeCanada View Post
    I was on 40mg x 2 PPI for 5 months and am on the 2nd phase of weaning off. First I started reducing my evening dose from 40mg to 20mg every 2nd night and did this for about a week, then I took 20mg every night for about a week and then 20mg every 2nd night for a week and then nothing in the evening. Now I am doing the same thing with the morning dose and am currently doing 40mg one day and 20mg the next and by next week I will go to 20mg every morning and see how that goes. So far I have only had one day of real rebound in the first stage and anticipate a bit in this 2nd stage.

I eliminated gluten grains and milk and introduced enzymes, probiotics, glutamine, zinc and magnesium before I started to wean and think that it helped
    Well done, seems you are one of the lucky ones who is not experiencing too much rebound. Its good you have found a way to get off PPIs that works for you. I had read about the alternate days method, but for me it didn't work because the jumps were too great and also because every time I alter my meds, up or down, I get bad effects, hence if I did that way I would feel ill every day.

We are all different and have to find what works for us. I hope this continues to work for you and you get off it very soon, with little pain.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #54
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Hi Kacyc, Thank you for your support. I wanted to ask you if you ever had any pain in the lower intestine area. I have had it yesterday and today. Feels like I need to have a good BM (went twice today) but can't. Sorry to be gross. I have never felt this, like this ever before. I was wondering if this was related to the reduction of the PPI. I am doing all the things I am supposed to do regarding diet and drinking lots of water. but for this discomfort and I mean discomfort yesterday and today I wouldn't feel too bad. Thanks for your input. Lily

Old 04-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #55
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I have had IBS type symptoms off and on since taking PPIs. This can vary from mild bloating to severe bloating and pain. I found the DGL licorice helps not only the acid symptoms, but also helps me go to the toilet. I know if I haven't taken it!

Are you taking the DGL?

You could also try abdominal massage. You can do it yourself, massage gently round and round in a clockwise direction (this is the direction the bowels work in).

BTW if you take gaviscon this can bung you up a bit.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #56
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
    I have had IBS type symptoms off and on since taking PPIs. This can vary from mild bloating to severe bloating and pain. I found the DGL licorice helps not only the acid symptoms, but also helps me go to the toilet. I know if I haven't taken it!

Are you taking the DGL?

You could also try abdominal massage. You can do it yourself, massage gently round and round in a clockwise direction (this is the direction the bowels work in).

BTW if you take gaviscon this can bung you up a bit.
    Thanks Kacyc, This just started yesterday and it hasn't let up at all. I will take some dgl. I have taken Probiotics and acid ease (only once today). I am eating all fresh veg and fruits so I don't know where this came from. I hope it soon goes away. When I was taking Nexium I did have some issues (frequency and loose bowels) but nothing like this before. Could it be IBS? No I am not taking anything like gaviscon but I need something to stop the cramps. thank you I will try both the dgl and the massaging right now.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #57
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I also had really bad cramps and bloating the last couple of days. What helps me is very loose clothing, literally nothing round the waist; peppermint tea - usually not recommended for acid rebound, but its swings and roundabouts - I decided it was the bloating that needed most attention; and the DGL - which I open up the capusles and make a drink; abdominal massage - but not after you have eaten; lying flat to relax the whole abdominal area - sitting will squish the area up more than lying down.

I wonder if you can think of the trigger - if it wasn't anything different you had eaten, drunk, or taken as medication or remedies, could it be something you did that was different?

I know during my early rebound days I couldn't bend down to do anything that required bending, which is quite often during a normal day! If I did bend I would get the acid coming up, or, if it wasn't an acidy day, I might just initiate the bloating/ cramping. I get it also if I sit for a long time in any position that requires sitting forwards eg sitting at a desk, typing, reading the paper, attempting to do some paperwork and sometimes driving.

It is IBS in that the 'bowel' is 'irritable' but don't think of it as a 'syndrome' it is probably a side effect and will pass and change as much as everything does to do with what you are going through.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Off to bed now..... back tomorrow!

Old 04-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #58
    imlily
    (female)

imlily HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kacyc View Post
    I also had really bad cramps and bloating the last couple of days. What helps me is very loose clothing, literally nothing round the waist; peppermint tea - usually not recommended for acid rebound, but its swings and roundabouts - I decided it was the bloating that needed most attention; and the DGL - which I open up the capusles and make a drink; abdominal massage - but not after you have eaten; lying flat to relax the whole abdominal area - sitting will squish the area up more than lying down.

I wonder if you can think of the trigger - if it wasn't anything different you had eaten, drunk, or taken as medication or remedies, could it be something you did that was different?

I know during my early rebound days I couldn't bend down to do anything that required bending, which is quite often during a normal day! If I did bend I would get the acid coming up, or, if it wasn't an acidy day, I might just initiate the bloating/ cramping. I get it also if I sit for a long time in any position that requires sitting forwards eg sitting at a desk, typing, reading the paper, attempting to do some paperwork and sometimes driving.

It is IBS in that the 'bowel' is 'irritable' but don't think of it as a 'syndrome' it is probably a side effect and will pass and change as much as everything does to do with what you are going through.

Hope you get some relief soon.

Off to bed now..... back tomorrow!
    This is way down in the very lower stomach and I feel it when I sit down. Now my back is hurting. I have tried the massage, Dgl and some heat. I don't seem to have any bloating but the sensation of needing to go to the bathroom but all there is, is mucus (sorry to be so graphic). I really hope it is gone tomorrow and I can continue to sort of feel better. Again it worries me and I wonder what on earth can be wrong with me NOW. Tomorrow I am going to just try and take dgl and eat very light. I am thinking of maybe getting some ensure as I don't think I am eating enough because I am never hungry. With not eating Carbs I am not 'bulking up' so maybe that is it. Good night have a great day tomorrow.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #59
    BecPPIhater
    (female)

BecPPIhater HB User

Hi laides,

How are you?

I hope you are feeling better imlily.

Sorry I have not posted in a few days, I have been away with my family. And we had no internet coverage. I managed to make it through our trip with minimal discomfort, which was nice for a change. Still burning in my stomach, on the right side near my belly button, sometimes it moves around the whole stomach, so frustrating. I really thought I would of been back to normal by now. I am currently taking nothing, just battling on, taking it day by day.

Part of me is wondering if drinking Gaviscon like it was going out of style might of prolonged this? What do you think Kacyc? I was drinking it after everytime I ate when I quit the PPI's, only stopped with that in January.

Last edited by BecPPIhater; 04-23-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #60
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BecPPIhater View Post
    Hi laides,

How are you?

I hope you are feeling better imlily.

Sorry I have not posted in a few days, I have been away with my family. And we had no internet coverage. I managed to make it through our trip with minimal discomfort, which was nice for a change. Still burning in my stomach, on the right side near my belly button, sometimes it moves around the whole stomach, so frustrating. I really thought I would of been back to normal by now. I am currently taking nothing, just battling on, taking it day by day.

Part of me is wondering if drinking Gaviscon like it was going out of style might of prolonged this? What do you think Kacyc? I was drinking it after everytime I ate when I quit the PPI's, only stopped with that in January.
    Hi Bec, good to have you back on your own thread!!!

Good news that you managed to go away and have minimal discomfort.

My personal opinion about taking supplementary medications is that they do relieve the immediate the pain, but also prolong getting back to normal. Your body cannot rebalance if it is being given things which interfere with what it naturally wants to do.

In coming off PPIs you experience rebound because the gastrin level has increased which stimulates hyper amounts of acid. There are other factors too, such the size and mass of the acid secreting cells increase whilst we are suppressing them. When you stop taking the suppressant they go wild. Then you take gaviscon to try to dampen down the acid. Gaviscon itself is not an acid suppressant, it is an antacid, it will neutralize the acid you have made. If you keep doing this the stomach will simply produce more acid to compensate.

Now, you were tested for gastrin and it was normal. I still wonder if perhaps you were the high end of normal. But anyway, apparently you can still have rebound and normal gastrin, for the other reasons. By continually neutralising acid with gaviscon, can itself cause rebound.

In my mind it simply postpones getting better. As I have said, I reserve it for very bad days, rather than take it regularly. Occasional use seems to help.

Closed Thread