It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• what cured my LPR, or whatever it is.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #16
    al775
    (male)

al775 HB User
    Re: what cured my LPR, or whatever it is.

Hey

I only had barium swallow, they said all was ok, then also a chest scanner because I felt some kind of burning pain in the right side of my chest. All went fine so indeed it had to be nerve related.

I can say I am doing better, for some reason my symtpms get better in the summer and are worse in the winter, which makes me think it's a throat issue or nerve damage. Been having this for 4 years since April 2010 after a throat infection. Including phlegm, post nasal drip, throat clearing, cough burning, difficulty swallowing and pain swallowing, breathing difficulty and wheezing mainly when exhaling air.

I've been nearly 2 months taking Besitran (Sertraline), a soft anti depressant. I am at 100mg at the moment and I must say I never had a summer like this after this problem started.
    I used to cough 100 times a day, now I am coughing around 2 or 3 times maybe. 2 weeks ago I used to clear my throat lots of times a day but now it's much less apparently. My wheezing seems to be less and my little raspy voice on some frequencies seems to be getting better too.

I am also taking a homeopathic medicine called "calcarea carbonica" in Spanish. Which seems to play with calcium levels, just like the anti depressants like Lyrica and Neurontin do. So it might be having an effect too.

I am also doing speech therapy which I recommend all of you to do to help your throat get better.

About my health. I am 27 years old, slim, I don't drink or smoke at all. I mostly eat healthy, but I can eat an elephant and I don't get any worse at all as far as I know. All the doctors who checked me always thought the problem was my nose, because I am allergic and have rhinitis. Also have a polyp in my left nostril somewhere. All I can say is that I don't have problems breathing thru my nostrils. My allergy has been mostly related to mucus and sneezes since I was a kid, nothing that would bother me too much at all. I have tried inhaled corticosteroids and took antihistamines with no luck for my throat problem. The only thing that worked for me was a shot of "Trigon Depot" which made me feel perfectly fine for 2 or 3 weeks.

Another thing I would like to share with you are a few articles I found over these months. I read that it's not clear if people with LSN or PVVN might get reflux. What I mean is that maybe LSN or PVVN can trigger reflux, which wouldn't be surprising since if the vagus nerve has been affected, it could be having control over your LES (vagus nerve controls esophageal functions too as well from what I read).
    I would like to post the links here but I think they won't work.

Another thing that you should do is trying to stay optimistic and avoid stress. I am sure that these kind of neuropathies, and reflux are highly related to your emotional health. It might not be the cause of it, but I am sure that it's a factor.

I hope this is helpful for you all.

Last edited by al775; 08-06-2014 at 04:42 AM. Reason: grammar

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2014, 05:16 AM   #17
    lprorlsn
    (male)

lprorlsn HB User

From what I've read, it's not that LSN causes reflux to happen, but that the same amount of reflux that would not have caused throat symptoms prior to having LSN now causes throat symptoms due to the sensitive nerve. In fact in my case, my ENT thinks that the the large amount of reflux reaching my throat caused my LSN.
    Glad to hear you're doing better, though.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:40 AM   #18
    al775
    (male)

al775 HB User

Hey

I read that too. with LSN/PVVN your throat is like sensitive to anything.
    However I read the other way around, if your vagus nerve is affected, it might relax your LES, which is a muscle at all. So I take that as a valid argument as well.

But as MountainReader suggested, and I read that on another article as well: You will need to address all the conditions first to be able to solve the nerve damage.
    lprosln. I think you might not need surgery, but try to stay in calm and healthy as much as you can and give a try to other nerve drugs as well. Some people say that it's a matter of trial and error. Being anxious or stressed is a pretty common cause in reflux issues as far as I know.
    Also, in your case I think the thing that triggered your LSN was your infection, just like I did. However you might have some reflux at all, but you never had heartburn so I think your reflux might not be as hard as it seems.
    I still don't know if I have reflux, since my doctors said that it was enough with the barium swallow.... so... and Besitran seems to be working, althought there's still a long way to go because I still feel the tight throat/difficulty swallowing, slightly voice issues, wheezing seems to have diminished and throat clearing.

Kikytan, from what I read, people who got LPR or LSN don't seem to have problems when they sleep. I thoght about the same idea as well, when you're asleep your nerves might be asleep as well.

There's some theory I have about it too: 2 years ago I had an electroencephalogram done. All seemed normal except when they asked me to sleep. When I fell asleep they found something abnormal that they mentioned as "slow waves". They seemed quite worried and asked me if I had epilepsy.
    I had the same test done at the next day and staying awake the whole day and night until the test so then I would sleep when doing the test. Same slow waves appeared again.
    To tell you I never had any attack of epilepsy but recently I came to the conclusion that my nerves could have been reporting something different due the time I was asleep.

Then I had a MRI of my brain done, nothing found.
    There's also an article about neuropathies (I guess more serious neuropathies). It said that neuropathic patients usually have a slow down in their delta waves (it didn't mention if asleep or awake) and usually cannot reach a deep sleep state.
    I believe this at all because when this problem began I remember that I used to feel more tired on the day and I didn't get to have dreams as before (It might be stupid but I thought it could be a part of the puzzle)

Take care!!

Old 08-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #19
    lprorlsn
    (male)

lprorlsn HB User

It might've been an article written by my ENT that you read, where he talks about the need to address the other factors like reflux before the nerve can fully heal. He has a lot of informative articles/blogs out there on LSN, LPR, and everything else.
    The diagnosis would've been purely LSN if all of the tests came back normal, and then the treatment would've been trial and error nerve drugs. But that wasn't the case after the results of my 24 hour pH and impedance test showed that I have a lot of reflux reaching my throat. I basically started the neurontin after I asked him if we could see if it will help and he agreed. And it has helped somewhat, so it's not that I need to try a different nerve drug. The reflux just might I guess overpower the neurontin at times and he predicts that this will get worse. I'm going to continue for a few more months to see what changes.
    In that article where he talks about treating LPR and LSN together, he said that the patient originally had a lot of reflux that was lessened significantly by surgery. Then at the point, when the amount of reflux reaching his throat was "normal" (though still causing symptoms due to LSN), the nerve was able to heal after simultaneous treatment for LPR and LSN. It sounds like for me, with the amount of reflux currently reaching my throat, I won't be be able to resolve the issue without taking care of the reflux through surgery.
    Barium swallow can't really test for reflux. The analogy is, say there are warnings in the mountains for bears, and after a few minutes in the mountains without seeing bears you reach the wrong conclusion that there are no bears around. If you were to stay in the mountains for 24 hours, then you'd get a good idea of bears really being there or not.
    Also, 24 hour pH testing alone isn't good enough. It needs to include impedance testing to test for non-acid reflux.

Closed Thread