It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Newbie - LPR or GERD - what to do?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
    Grace63
    (female)

Grace63 HB User
    Newbie - LPR or GERD - what to do?

Hello, all. I am a newbie here, though I have been reading some posts for a couple of days now. Let me give a brief rundown of my story.

Two years ago, amidst much chronic stress in my life (house flooding, interstate move, etc.), I started having stomach pain in the upper center part of stomach. Ended up on Nexium off and on for several months, even a bit while pregnant with my third child. By the time I had her a year ago and even through last summer, I thought I was fine.

This past fall I started having a chronic cough - not terrible, and I basically ignored it thinking it was allergies. By the end of March, I had a sore throat, starting to crackle and I started to notice an acid-like taste down in my throat every once in awhile. This was a burning kind of feeling. Having a glass of wine killed my throat. At this point, I figured it was my stomach, and I started an OTC Prilosec pack. Things started to improve, but I was already scheduled to see my doctor.

He sent me for Upper GI/Barium swallow xrays and sinus xrays (had some sinus issues, too). Turns out I had "significant "reflux, but the doctor did not see any lesions or change in throat structure. I also had a chronic sinus infection.

Doctor put me on 40mg of Protonix and antibiotics for three weeks (I know, I know...) My symptoms got worse for a few days, so he switched me to Prilosec prescription. I have now been on that for just over a week. I thought my symptoms were improving, but the past two days I seem to be having a bit of a regression (waking up with acid taste in mouth even though I'm on an incline, etc.)

I am a Type-A stay-at-home mother to three young children. I am stressed all the time, though I try not to be. I have started exercising regularly again with the hopes that it will help my situation. As I know many of you have been, I am in tears. I know there is no "cure," and I know so many say do NOT go on PPIs. I don't know what else to do though. I have already given up all the no-nos - chocolate, alcohol, caffeine, tomatoes, etc. I am already at a healthy weight. I am still nursing my youngest, so I can hardly cut out all fats or anything like that. Will reducing my stress level really help make this go away???

I know I have read a few positive stories on here, but I just don't understand this disease enough to know what to expect. And I am confused about LPR v. GERD. Doctor didn't specify. Originally I just had the cough, but now I have acid taste and some heartburn. Does that mean I have "regular" GERD?

This all happened so fast and I am left feeling angry and scared. I'm only 37 years old, and I can't believe that I will live the rest of my life feeling this acid stuff all the time.

Do I switch ppis? Quit ppis? (Even including the OTC Prilosec I've been on them less than a month). Like I said, even making dietary changes and doing the ppi I am still having symptoms. I can't imagine how bad I would feel if I didn't have the medicine, too.

I would appreciate any insight or advice, especially from those of you who have heard success stories that this can be managed and even become inconsequential in daily life. I feel like I can't trust my doctor since he was so quick to put me on the ppi to begin with. All of the internet information is overwhelming.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and help me understand.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #2
    Grace63
    (female)

Grace63 HB User
    Re: Newbie - LPR or GERD - what to do?

I'm sorry, that was TOTALLY not brief. I just felt like I needed to get it all out there. Forgot to mention that other symptoms include the feeling of something being stuck in my throat and the feeling of a dry patch that doesn't go away even when I swallow.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

Hi Grace, sorry you are facing this horrible condition. Can I ask, at the time it all started 2 years ago, did you take any other medication for anything? And do you take any other medication for anything now?

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
    Grace63
    (female)

Grace63 HB User

Hi, kacy. I was not on any other meds when I initially had the stomach issues, though I had been on Diflucan for several months. I stopped taking that a couple of months before the stomach pains. As for now, I haven't been on any other meds. I'm now on the antibiotics and the prescription Prilosec. The funny thing is that I never take anything -- Tylenol, ibuprofen, etc. And now here I am, having to take all of this medication.

I have really had myself convinced that my chronic stress both then and now have led to my problem, though I don't really know how stress can cause a stomach valve to malfunction.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User

It could be a combination of factors including stress. It could be your pregnancy caused some silent reflux which caused some inflammation to the oesophagus. Then, when you had a glass of wine that is when you felt it - think of it like pouring alcohol onto burnt skin - definately painful!

Also antibiotics and PPis can cause stomach problems and make matters worse.

You need to try to heal a step at a time. First, look carefully at your diet and cut out all possible triggers, as you have done. Then add things that will help heal the oesophagus: anti inflammatory vegetables such as carrots, celery, cabbage and butternut squash. Eat simple meals without additives and no spices or pepper at all.

Then think about some remedies that can help. Different things help different people. Aloe vera might be good. DGL licorice is what helped me the most; chamomile tea; mauka honey; coconut water.

Also do something to manage the stress - some type of relaxation is important for mind and body. An will make a difference, if you are doing other things to help look after yourself.

Then think about reducing/ removing the medications which may be making matters worse and get worse the longer you are on them. Its a strange phenoma to think that the medications can make the very condition you are taking them for worse, but it does happen. By cutting out acid you cause food to remain undigested in the stomach and ferment, causing indigestion. This may explain why it is now you notice some new symptoms.

By the way, PPIs also affect you mentally and will not be helping your stress or mood. They affect mineral balance in the body and can make you feel angry, depressed and out of sorts.

So, take control, take very good care of your self and you can get better.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
    Grace63
    (female)

Grace63 HB User

kacy,

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write all that. You have no idea how that helps me, even just mentally!

I am still feeling acid in the bottom of my throat after I eat (anything), even on the prescription Prilosec. Does this mean I need a different ppi (been on this one for 1.5 weeks), more time to wait on this one, or to go off ppi altogether?

How do I heal my esophagus if I am not on any medication? Just hope that with continued lifestyle change and possible supplementation (going to get some dgl today) that things will improve on their own? I understand about the problems ppi can cause, but was under the impression I NEED the medicine in order to heal.

Thanks again for helping me!

Old 04-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #7
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I will reply in more depth later on as I in a hurry right now, but just wanted to say, if you are going to get DGL get powder in capsules, then empty the powder out of the capsules and make a drink: pour the powder into hot water and drink it once it is at comfortable temperature. Take it slowly as it can cause diarrohea, so start with say 2 capsules a day and if your ok you can up it to twice a day. I take it last thing at night so that the healing properties can work when nothing is going to wash it away. Or you can take when you feel bad and see if it helps immediately.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #8
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

If it was me, knowing what I know now about these drugs, i would try to heal without medication, but I am not suggesting you make that decision based just on my experience. And you have only been given 3 weeks meds, is that right? The problems arise when you take them for longer than that, but also they cause problems which make doctors believe you need them and they often give a repeat prescription. It is, I believe, the most widely prescribed group of drugs given on repeat prescription, seond only to blood pressure pills. For a reason.

So, stay with it for the 3 weeks, if you feel you were given appropriate medication (what was the antibiotics for?) and get the other lifestyle changes in place at the same time, so that at the end of the 3 weeks, when you stop the meds, you are supported by other natural things.

It will then take a while, you won't instantly feel better, so you need to be totally careful until you are completely better. The smallest amount of alcohol could set you back.

The medication has no healing properties that will heal the oesophagus, you need to feed yourself with anti-inflammatory foods and soothing cooling things that will heal the lining. Some people take carafate which coats and protects the oesophagus. I used a silico gel solution which does similar and does no harm. As well as the DGL. Melon is good.

No alcohol, nothing remotely hot or spicy, nothing very hot or very cold, I only drink warm boild water, (even water hurt when my oesphagus was burning), nothing straight out the fridge, no caffeine, limited protein (it makes more acid) I just had chicken, no citrus fruits, no vinegar or pickles, try to stick to soft foods which slide down easily.

Also think about postural aspects: try to sleep on an incline for now, and avoid bending over from the waist, difficult with a baby, but very important, as it could be causing acid to come up. Avoid any excercise that involves bending at the waist. Walking is good.

Hope some of this is helpful. Like I did when I came on here searching for help, use the bits that are helpful to you!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 PM   #9
    Grace63
    (female)

Grace63 HB User

Thanks again, kacyc. And thanks for the reminder about how just a little bit can set me back. I have been SO tempted to have a cup of coffee -- even of decaf. That's been the hardest for me to give up. Good to have the reminder that I have to move forward here.

Unfortunately, I was told to take the prescription Prilosec 2x/day for a month and then daily. Due to my reticence with medications, I have only been taking it 1x/day. I did take it 2x/today to see if it improved things. It did, actually, finally get the acid, burning out of the back of my throat, but now I've had heartburn this evening, which I never get. Grrr... I do have a follow-up with my doctor in two weeks, so I may just try to stay on meds until then and then try to wean off at that point.

I am on antibiotics for a chronic sinus infection that I didn't even know I had (I have a good feeling it was created by or worsened by the reflux).

As far as good foods to eat, have you found any luck with the acid/alkaline connection? I had made a note to check out Koufman's book Dropping Acid, but I wasn't sure if her suggestions about low-acid foods was credible. I'm curious of your opinion on that.

Thanks again, so, so much.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:05 AM   #10
    winghall
    (female)

winghall HB User

Hi. I am sorry that you have got this illness. I have had it for 2 years now, starting after a very stressful period in my life. It's up and down. Most of the time I can cope with it. I am on 40mg Somac per day. I want wean it but the GI said NO for the time being. I have mainly acid in my throat/burning and no other symptoms, more LPR than GERD ???. At the beginning I could hardly talk. My voice was hoarse and I got chest pain when I talked too much but all these have gone.
    I noticed that when I went overseas for a holiday, actually learning music,the symptom went away after 2 days and right through my 3 months staying there. As soon as I came home, it flared up again but it's up and down. So ... go figure !!!
    Looks like the body requires 95- 100 % relaxation for the symptom to go away. I was very happy shopping around, laughing with friends and learning music !!!!
    I hope that it will eventually settle down (as the GI says) but so far I have to live with it !!! when it's bad (stressed!!!), I tend to chew chewing gum to salivate more and it seems to help.
    I get depressed when I read about the illness, people say that there is no cure ... well, I need some hope to keep me going !!!
    All I can say that you are not alone, at time I felt quite low but I have to be optimistic and hope and hope for the better.
    I try not to get worried, not to get angry or upset. be forgiving and keep busy with my hobbies ( I have retired). Black emotions (angry etc..) tend to make it worse. Best wishes

Old 04-25-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
    pazshalom
    (female)

pazshalom HB User
    Unhappy Re: Newbie - LPR or GERD - what to do?

Hi Grace,

I want to share with you that I have the same simptoms: lump in throat and that dry patch feeling that does not go away. I send you a hug. I am also going thru a lot of stress, and it seems like feeling these symptoms I get MORE stressed.

Right now for my throat I am sucking on DGL Degycyrhizinated Licorice. It helps some and Slippery Elm Lozengers, they are OK for the moment.

This Forum has made feel better, because I was feeling so lonely with this "thing"

Keep in touch.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-29-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    As far as good foods to eat, have you found any luck with the acid/alkaline connection? I had made a note to check out Koufman's book Dropping Acid, but I wasn't sure if her suggestions about low-acid foods was credible. I'm curious of your opinion on that.
    I didn't follow a particular diet, but I did use common sense (sometimes looking things up) to stick to alkaline foods and avoid anything acid forming.

I didn't find it difficult to give things up because anything not to be in so much pain was worth it to me. I would have done anything. And in the beginning I could only eat mashed up vegetables like baby food! I still follow a pretty strict diet, but am gradually able to introduce more and more foods as I am on less and less medication and my body is normalising.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-29-2014 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:12 AM   #13
    Stacboz
    (female)

Stacboz HB User
    Unhappy Re: Newbie - LPR or GERD - what to do?

Hi There I am new to this also, This thread is a bit old so I am not sure if its still active. I just had my baby 5 months ago and had alot of heartburn and gallbladder isssues during my pregnancy. After the pregnancy I had a ton of stress, the of course added stress having to return back to work with 2 kids at home. Around that time I start getting an intence pressure into my throat and chest about 10-15 minutes after starting to eat, the first time it hit me really hard and fast and I thought I was experiencing anaphalaxis! I even called 911 Well, here I am 2 months later and 20 lbs lighter (currently 94 lbs) and also just had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago, so thats not helping things. Current symptoms are: tighness in throat after eating, acid taste (burning/hot) saliva sensation/taste in mouth most of the day, burning sensation in nose and sinuses, random/occasional sores in the back of my throat....BUT no typical heartburn which i've had for years. Do these sound like typical LPR/GERD symptoms? I am so sick of this, its so hard dealing with this all with a new baby and a full time very stressful job. I had a scope 2 months ago which revealed a "ring" and a hiatal hernia. Currently I am on 40mg of omeprazol once a day which I have been on for years also, probiotoic, very very small dose of zoloft (which is new since all of this happened).

Any advise, does this sound like typical LPR? I just want to gain some weight back ASAP

The following user gives a hug of support to Stacboz:
    Whiskers2005 (12-19-2014)
    Old 12-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #14
    Whiskers2005
    (female)

Whiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB UserWhiskers2005 HB User

I'm so sorry you have these problems too. I was diagnosed with a hiatal hernia about 7 yrs. ago, but recently with silent GERD. I've felt the acid reflux longer than that though. I get a sore throat or part of one & am hoarse on & off. I've been reading & stress does have a lot to do with it, but also meds & a list of foods not to eat or drink. I've been on Prevaid (script) for a week now & can't say either way if it's working for me. Not yet, anyway. Having a bad day with this. I also have fibromyalgia, OA & other illnesses going on so I believe that's my stress. Its a good idea to keep talking to your doctor, I think, especially since I'm not one. Take care of yourself, Stacboz.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stacboz View Post
    Hi There I am new to this also, This thread is a bit old so I am not sure if its still active. I just had my baby 5 months ago and had alot of heartburn and gallbladder isssues during my pregnancy. After the pregnancy I had a ton of stress, the of course added stress having to return back to work with 2 kids at home. Around that time I start getting an intence pressure into my throat and chest about 10-15 minutes after starting to eat, the first time it hit me really hard and fast and I thought I was experiencing anaphalaxis! I even called 911 Well, here I am 2 months later and 20 lbs lighter (currently 94 lbs) and also just had my gallbladder out 3 weeks ago, so thats not helping things. Current symptoms are: tighness in throat after eating, acid taste (burning/hot) saliva sensation/taste in mouth most of the day, burning sensation in nose and sinuses, random/occasional sores in the back of my throat....BUT no typical heartburn which i've had for years. Do these sound like typical LPR/GERD symptoms? I am so sick of this, its so hard dealing with this all with a new baby and a full time very stressful job. I had a scope 2 months ago which revealed a "ring" and a hiatal hernia. Currently I am on 40mg of omeprazol once a day which I have been on for years also, probiotoic, very very small dose of zoloft (which is new since all of this happened).

Any advise, does this sound like typical LPR? I just want to gain some weight back ASAP

Old 01-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #15
    Grace63
    (female)

Grace63 HB User

Hi there, Stacboz. I am the original poster of this thread, and sorry to say, I am still suffering with this condition. I have yet to find a medication or diet to relief all or even most of my symptoms. It has been a real strain because I am practically obsessing about this disease every day. The medication that has helped me the most is Gaviscon Advance anise flavor (not mint). You have to order this from the UK. You can find it on ****** and another site - maybe British Pharmacy or something like that. It is a thick liquid (sodium alginate) that forms a physical barrier in your stomach to block the reflux from entering your esophagus. I have been trying to take this after each meal, but especially before bed. I continue to struggle with keeping weight on and have to make a point to get enough calories in.

Yes, your symptoms sound like LPR, and I have many of them myself. You should check out Dr. Kouffman's book Dropping Acid. Her diet has helped me a bit, but even more, she has some great information about LPR.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grace63 For This Useful Post:
    Stacboz (01-12-2015)
    Closed Thread