It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• My New Theory for LPR non-responsive to PPI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #1
    Cwind
    (male)

Cwind HB User
    My New Theory for LPR non-responsive to PPI

I have been diagnosed with LPR because my throat was bothering me. Not hurting, but feeling some swelling and food getting caught. The Dr. looked through a scope and found my voice box irritated and swollen. That was last November. I was placed on PPI twice a day, as most of you. Now, 6 months later I am starting to reduce/wean from the PPI but I do not feel the swelling improved.

I have never being convinced that many LPR cases are caused by acid reflux, and from what I read...neither are many experts. How come my throat did not heal after 6 months of blocking acid production?

Many theories have been raised to explain it...but I woke this morning with A NEW THEORY...which I have not heard before. In my case (and may be others), would it be possible that the throat is inflamed because of excessive dry air? I sleep with a mouth guard. Is it possible that it facilitates my mouth opening during the night and mouth breathing would provoque dry and inflamed throat. I have some experience on how a dry throat can be bad. My mother had a traqueostomy, and the consequences of not breathing through her nose were severe.

Well, short on writing a paper on it, I will do an experiment on myself. I will stop using the mouth guard and will purchase a cold humidifier for the night time. Let's see how it works out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
    Re: My New Theory for LPR non-responsive to PPI

I like your thinking. I agree that doctors are too keen to give a diagnosis too early and sometimes without any evidence, just a liklihood, or possibility. We are then stuck with that label and treated according to that label which often is not the right treatment, as you have found out.

There are many other possibilities for throat problems apart from acid. It is so easy to give PPIs, and sometimes that probably is the cause and PPIs might help. But I agree with you that not all throat problems are really LPR in which case PPIs will not help and could make things worse.

Its great you are thinking of other factors and I look forward to the results of your experiment. Do let us know if you notice any changes.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 AM   #3
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User

Well I agree about the mouthguard causing dry mouth as it certainly does for me

Can't comment otherwise as I definitely have reflux as it comes up into my mouth
    (I feel my mouthguard complicates things as though I usually wake when reflux happens if I don't my teeth are being acutely bathed in the acid beneath the guard)

Old 05-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
    Cwind
    (male)

Cwind HB User

Thanks Kacyc and Raibowsrock for the input. In any case, I think keeping the mucosa more humid is beneficial (although I have not tried yet), even if excessive acid is the primary cause. The idea that LPR does not heal with acid blockers bothers me. I am 52, but there should be some healing capacity left on my throat! This bothers some experts as well and makes them speculate on alternative causes.

Closed Thread

Tags
    lpr, mouth guard, throat clearing, throat swelling