It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

Going insane with my throat!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
MTDR1
Inactive
(male)

MTDR1 HB User
Unhappy Going insane with my throat!!

Hi this is my first post and after reading so many issues like mine i needed to post. So over a year and a half ago i woke up one morning my throat was Extremely red and sore. the next day same thing but had white spots also now. I decided to go to doctor and they tested me for strep (it came back negative). They still treated me with antibiotics. About 3-4 days later the symptoms were all gone except i was left with a new one. I now had the feeling of a lump or ball feeling in my throat which was only noticeable when i swallowed. As time went on i swallowed more and more thinking it would help or loosen up but nothing. I cough up stuff sometimes cause i contantly clear my throat now and its either all white and froathy or white and thick seldomly and is very glue like. It slowly started to take over my every thought and bothered me all day long. Eventually i went to my first ENT and she looked down my throat with a camera and said everything looked great but i had a little redness on around my vocal cords. I was diagnosed with possible GERD from that. I was given Omeprazole to take and on my way. After that i felt happy(not better health wise) for about 2 weeks but soon slid back into thinking about it all day and swallowing constantly. overtime my feeling in my throat changed and still does. Sometimes it felt like a lump, very sore, post nasal drip or like i had a small surface piece of an sos pad stuck deep in my throat. I went to another ENT months later after the first hoping for a second opinion or something else. He put me back on Omeprazole which i had stopped taking from the first ent. All it did was make me feel extremely bloaded, gassy and non stop diarreaha i had to stop again. He looked at my throat with a camera also and said it looked fine. I dont smoke now but used to and my throat bothers me the most right in the area you would get a throat hit from smoking, right at base of throat above breast plate. I feel best when i sleep or right after i wake up but as the day goes on it gets worse and worse. I have vomited many times over last year and half because my gag reflex getting worse from clearing throat and sometimes i vomited on purposed hoping I could "get it out". I am now taking a generic pepcid over the counter daily as it was the only thing that didn't tear up my stomach(unsure if its even helping). I also tried nexium it killed my gut. I haven't done a PH probe or Allergy test but i did have my thyroid checked and said it was normal. This has completely taken over my life and i feel if i wasnt a strong person to begin with I would be in a very bad place right now. I am living scared with a mystery disorder. I am posting to hear other peoples stories, successes or just support. I feel its getting worse and don't know what else to do. I need to go back to doctor soon but hard when money is so tight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Going insane with my throat!!

Hi MTDR1,

"A warm welcome to HealthBoards, good to have you join us",

I suffer with this lump in the throat sensation, which I feel is caused by PND.
Two things you could try.
If its Mucus caused through Allergy you could try an Antihistamine. If its Gerd and PPIs don't help try "Manuka Honey" let a spoonful dissolve slowly down the back of your throat 3xdaily.
I have also found warm milk soothing but I have to find someone myself who has eliminated this lump in the throat completely,

Solofelix.

Old 09-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
MTDR1
Inactive
(male)

MTDR1 HB User

Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
LPR1978
(male)

LPR1978 HB User

I hear dairy contributes to additional mucus build-up, so I stay away. I do use manuka honey and Elm Bark tea. Sometimes they help, sometimes they don't.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #5
MTDR1
Inactive
(male)

MTDR1 HB User

what honey to get? Any thoughts. I started aloe vera juice few days ago also

Last edited by Administrator; 09-24-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
LPR1978
(male)

LPR1978 HB User

Post if you feel if you feel that aloe vera has helped, I would be curious.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-24-2014 at 05:13 PM.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
MTDR1
Inactive
(male)

MTDR1 HB User

To early to tell but i drink it straight up 8 oz approx

Old 09-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #8
Elljay72
(female)

Elljay72 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofelix View Post
Hi MTDR1,

I suffer with this lump in the throat sensation, which I feel is caused by PND.
Two things you could try.
If its Mucus caused through Allergy you could try an Antihistamine. If its Gerd and PPIs don't help try "Manuka Honey" let a spoonful dissolve slowly down the back of your throat 3xdaily.
I have also found warm milk soothing but I have to find someone myself who has eliminated this lump in the throat completely,

Solofelix.
Solofelix, I have tried the Manuka honey, sometimes it feels like it tingles the throat. But I am not sure it has made my lump in my throat go away. Do you take it every day, 3x a day? Does it get rid of your lump? And do you suffer from the lump everyday, or has it gone and you do the manuka honey for when you feel it coming on?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
solofelix
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elljay72 View Post
Solofelix, I have tried the Manuka honey, sometimes it feels like it tingles the throat. But I am not sure it has made my lump in my throat go away. Do you take it every day, 3x a day? Does it get rid of your lump? And do you suffer from the lump everyday, or has it gone and you do the manuka honey for when you feel it coming on?

"I don't feel it has done anything for the lump in the throat sensation and I've had it so long I don't give it much thought now.
Every so often I take "Manuka Honey" for a few weeks as it seems to give me an overall feeling of well being".
The best way to take M.H. is on a small piece of bread about 1.inch square 20 mins before food, the bread is supposed to help the honey remain longer in the stomach.
It is said to be very good for Ulcers and since I had one some years back I think it has helped me."

Solofelix.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:40 AM   #10
al775
(male)

al775 HB User

Hi

I have been suffering this since an upper respiration infection in April 2010. It has been a nightmare until I decided to look on the Internet earlier this year. Which has been a huge help. Doctors, for the most part have been useless.

In my case it seems to be Irritable larynx syndrome/larynx sensory neuropathy/post viral vagal neuropathy. Which is what it seems to be affecting most people here who don't seem to have any signs of reflux, has symptoms on the throat and PPIs don't help.
If it's this, it seems to be treated with antidepressants due to nerves in the larynx kicking in for almost anything.
I believe allergies might also play a role, but I have been allergic all my life and I never had an issue like this. Plus antihistamines don't help.

I've been treating it with Besitran 100mg (Sertraline) since June and it did improve greatly after 1 month and a half (there are better nerve drugs than this one, but this one seems to be the one with least secondary effects and seems to be ok with me)
I'm also taking an homeopathic remedy called "Calcarea carbonica".

Now instead of coughing 100 times per day I almost don't have any cough, althought I still clear my throat. But as time passes I feel that my throat is getting better althought sometimes I am not sure. ALso, my burning/needle/stabbing pain from the right side of the throat to my chest has dissapeared

Another thing I recommend everybody is to stay in calm. Stress or anxiety will make it worse.
In my case it seems to get worse in winters.

To all of you I recommend to eliminate dairy as well, because dairy can swell throat issues and remove any other irritant.
You might need to do speech therapy too to avoid swelling the throat as well.
I am also trying acupuncture too (had my first session yesterday).

I am sure most of you usually feel better when you eat something that is relieving.

Take care and don't get down. Giving up is the worst thing you can do.

Closed Thread

Tags
gerd - physical issues, sore throat, throat lump, throat pain