It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Why does it take such a long time for PPIs to work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
    agusus
    (male)

agusus HB User
    Why does it take such a long time for PPIs to work?

Long story short, an ENT diagnosed me with LPR about a month ago (on the basis of seeing reflux near the voice box with a scope), prescribed 40mg Omerapozole per day and a GERD diet, and said it might take 2-3 months to notice improvement.

Why does it take so long? Does it really take that long for the esophageal valve to heal?

I've had some improvement but am not sure if it was from the PPI or the diet. Most of the improvement came within the first 1-2 days, but since then (~21 days) it stopped improving. I still have my original symptoms of a lump sensation in the throat, labored breathing sometimes (upper lung irritation) and dry or sore throat sometimes.

What I'm wondering is what would cause it to suddenly get better in the next 1-2 months that hasn't made it do so in the last 3 weeks? The ENT told me to schedule a followup at 2 months, but I'm having trouble seeing why it's necessary to wait that long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
    rainbowsrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB Userrainbowsrock HB User
    Re: Why does it take such a long time for PPIs to work?

I had improvement in a lesser timescale than that
    I think PPI'S are valuable to heal damage but once that's done the ideal would be to wean off or down to the lowest dose possible

Are you avoiding food triggers (keep a food diary)
    Tried bed raisers
    Smaller meals
    No eating late in the day
    Use chewing gum

Good luck

Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
    agusus
    (male)

agusus HB User
    Re: Why does it take such a long time for PPIs to work?

That's the thing - I am keeping a food diary, but having a hard time correlating any triggers with any symptoms. My symptoms seem somewhat random - some days are good, some days are bad. Sometimes on a bad day I ate nothing but really safe foods.

I've been following a pretty strict GERD diet, with the exception of beer (have a couple on some nights, but not within an hour of bed). I cut out dairy too 3-4 days ago since I think I have a little lactose intolerance (to whey protein primarily).

I'm not sure how long after eating a trigger food I should expect to experience symptoms? 1 hour, 2 hours, 24 hours? If it's >24 hours that could explain why sometimes I get symptoms on days that I ate all GERD foods, but if it's that long it's going to be really hard to narrow down what the cause is. The best correlation I've found isn't a food at all - sitting down, like at a desk chair, car, bus, train, seems to correlate with triggering breathing symptoms.

I've raised my upper body on pillows a few times, but I don't really have any nighttime issues, so I'm not sure it has any effect.

Thanks!

Closed Thread