It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Just Diagnosed w Barretts Esophagus & Stricture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #1
    Nikki321
    (female)

Nikki321 HB User
    Question Just Diagnosed w Barretts Esophagus & Stricture

Hello everyone.
    This diagnosis came as a total shock. I never even heard of this before. Apparently i have GERD. I hardly ever got heartburn. It was something that was "silent" and just struck me out of the blue. I'm otherwise pretty healthy.

About one month ago it started with a feeling like i was wearing a tight turtle neck sweater. Then it got to the point i couldn't even eat yogurt.To make a long story short, back and forth to clinic then finally hospital. I was finally diagnosed with Barretts Esophagus and a stricture. The stricture is behind my windpipe.

So i was prescribed protonix for the acid reflux and with the EGD, they stretched the stricture and took a biopsy on 10/8 Although i can eat and drink better, i still have that feeling of a finger pressing into my throat. Sometimes it's worse than others. Maybe partly anxiety?

On the plus side, no cancer was found
    The nurse said the dr went to 18 but stopped because of resistance. I don't know what is the normal size, and she couldn't answer that either since she wasn't in when i had it done.

She said to give the medicine a couple of weeks, if still no improvement, he may want to do it again. The thought of it scares me. A i going to keep having this feeling and keep getting it stretched the rest of my life? I'm tired of eating yogurt, soups etc. Has anyone else has this issue fixed back to feeling normal again? How many times can they stretch it. I'm afraid of it getting broke as well. Thanks in advance

The following user gives a hug of support to Nikki321:
    rainbowsrock (10-21-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
    Stretch1one
    Veteran
    (male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
    Sorry to hear about your throat problem. I have had Barrett's for just over 3 years I do have heartburn and my GI Dr said it could have been caused by that or some people can have it at birth or develop over time and some folks have it for life and may never know they have it I do not have the throat issue like your nor have I had to have it stretch but I have heard of many of people that have. Also be advised depending on where you live there is another way to have your throat examined without being put under or out or light sedation they can goes through your nose but as I have found it's been Aron d since 1997 but is not always available in your area
    Good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
    barrett's, dysphagia, esophagus, stricture, throat