It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• Apple cider vinegar for acid reflux

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
    flory2014
    (female)

flory2014 HB User
    Apple cider vinegar for acid reflux

Hi, I've been taking Nexium, 40 mg once a day, my prescription was for a month, I only have 3 pills left now but I don't want to take them because I don't feel any better than when I started, only thing I have more of now is headaches and I feel dizzy a lot. I've read a lot of stuff about apple cider vinegar for acid reflux and I want to try it, I know it doesn't work for everyone but I can give it a try. The thing is that I took Nexium today and I was wondering if it was okay to not take it for the the next 3 days and try apple cider vinegar instead. Would it cause any harm? also I have had this problem where my saliva is really thick like I had mucus in my saliva, could this be because of a cold or because of GERD? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #2
    kacyc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB Userkacyc HB User
    Re: Apple cider vinegar for acid reflux

Hi flory, it won't make any difference taking nexium for a month or taking it 3 days short of a month. However, when you stop you may get some worsening of symptoms until you settle back to normal again having taken the nexium. So, it may not be the best time to try apple cider vinegar.

It will have entirely the opposite effect to nexium, and if nexium hasn't helped at all it may be that you had insufficient acid, not excess acid, in which case ACV may help.

I say it may not be the best time to try it because when you stop nexium you can suddenly produce excess acid again and hence will not, at that time, need the ACV. If you have very bad rebound (increase in acid production) then ACV can make things worse. I would suggest you try it when you have finished the nexium. Also when you stop taking it the headaches and dizziness can get worse for a couple of days until your body gets used to not having it so bear with it.

When you do try it, have a little and see if it helps, if it does it indicates that your reflux was probably caused by insufficient acid, in which case the ACV can help, as can digestive enzymes containing HCL. If it makes you worse, then obviously stop using it. Dilute it in water and you can mix it with a little manuka honey.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acid reflux, apple cider vinegar, gerd natural remedy, nexium