It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acid Reflux / GERD Message Board

• difficulty swallowing/gerd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-17-2015, 04:21 PM   #1
    monkeybreath
    (female)

monkeybreath HB User
    difficulty swallowing/gerd

Hello, 25, female diabetic. Heres whats going on

December : painful heartburn and a dull ache in the middle of my chest/breasts. After doing some research I went to the Dr and asked her if I had acid reflux, she figured that I did based on my symptoms and gave me prilosec. Miraculously, the day of the appointment my symptoms went away completely and I didn't end up taking the prilosec.

Mid February : hadn't had any symptoms of acid reflux in almost 2 months. One day I was eating a hot pocket and before I could voluntarily swallow my food, my throat forcibly shut. I was so scared that I might choke so I didn't continue eating until someone came home. I was so traumatized that I vowed never to eat alone again. That weekend all my food went down fine but come Monday the same thing happened, I could take a couple bites until the "throat closing " Began again. At first I thought it was all in my head, pushed passed it, but it was very clear that it was a very real problem so I went to urgent care.

Urgent care Dr told me that it was related to the acid reflux so I should take my prescribed prilosec.
    Big mistake! Not only did I lose my appetite but but when I did try to eat (I'm diabetic so I need to eat!) Every bite and every drink would bring up a burp that got stuck in my throat and wouldn't come out for several minutes at a time.

I stopped the prilosec after 3 days, had a baruim swallow that came out negative, I still can't swallow and now I have a new symptom (the trapped burps).

I have an appointment w. The GI Dr in 2 weeks
    The only food I can eat is honey nut cheerios, everything else takes forever to go down and seems to just sit there in my throat.

I went back to urgent care and a different doctor told me I have allergies and need claritin. I took the claritin and still feel like crap.

Does anyone know what could be going on? It's driving me crazy and I'm becoming depressed because of this. I've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks and my blood sugars are dangerously low.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2015, 03:10 AM   #2
    Sezza84
    (female)

Sezza84 HB UserSezza84 HB User
    Re: difficulty swallowing/gerd

Hi Monkeybreath.

I am really sorry to hear you are having a terrible time with your throat and I can sympathise very much so. I have suffered with a chronic sore throat from reflux for years now but recently have been getting the throat closing and food stuck in throat feeling. I know that reflux can narrow the esophagus and cause food to stick but in your case, and mine, barium swallow is normal so this is ruled out then. I did some research and found a common condition called cricopharygeal spasm. This is a contraction of the muscle that surrounds the pharynx and can cause difficulty swallowing. Although it is very scary it is not life threatening. Cricopharyngeal spasms are aggravated by reflux or more so LPR which is harder to treat than regular reflux as well as stress and anxiety so maybe try a bit of relaxation and deep breathing when you start to feel your throat tighten. As you are diabetic I'm not sure of what diet advice I could offer sorry. I hope the GI can find some answers for you. I will ne seeing an ENT next week about my throat problems so will keep you updated.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
    monkeybreath
    (female)

monkeybreath HB User

Thank you so much for your reply, an update after your ENT visit would be greatly appreciated because that's my next stop if the GI Dr doesn't know what's going on. Good luck

Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
    Sezza84
    (female)

Sezza84 HB UserSezza84 HB User

Hi

I just thought I would update you after my ENT visit. So he put the camera up my nose and down the back of my throat to look at my larynx and vocal chords. He found no suspicious lumps, just my vocal chords are red raw.
    He believes it to be because of silent reflux, although I have been down this path before with no relief but he wants me to strictly follow a regime for 6 weeks. It's pretty basic. No acidic foods at night, do not eat at least 2 hours before bed, raise the head of the bed by 6 inches, take losec twice a day 1 hour before meals. He also mentioned another reason for the chronic sore throat and throat tightness, voice misuse. I was like what?? He said he could see I was a very nervy, anxious person and that when I talk the muscles in my neck and throat are over contracting as I am trying to push the sound out with such force. You are meant to talk from your diaphragm but instead I talk from my throat which is causing abnormal contraction of the vocal chords leading to friction, inflammation and that tight throat feeling.
    So there you go. I have you tubed some speech therapy exercises and it has made me realize how I do misuse my voice and why it tires so easily and goes hoarse. I hope this is of some help.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 PM   #5
    LawChick1986
    (female)

LawChick1986 HB User

Hi,

Im new to this site. I started having issues swallowing back in January. I have gone down to 84 pounds due to this. After I eat I often feel like food is stuck. I started to take gaviscon (liquid) after I eat which helps. I also notice if I have pudding after eating it helps soothe my throat. I also eat with a warm cup of tea with honey. I had a really bad episode last night after trying to eat a chicken salad sandwich. It felt like I was choking on it for hours and today I am on all liquids as my throat still hasnt recovered. My Dr explains it to me that food really isnt stuck but that it just feels that way because my esophagus is so irritated although sometimes I wonder because it really does feel like food is stuck. Its scary especially at night I slept sitting up all last night.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:43 PM   #6
    monkeybreath
    (female)

monkeybreath HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LawChick1986 View Post
    Hi,

Im new to this site. I started having issues swallowing back in January. I have gone down to 84 pounds due to this. After I eat I often feel like food is stuck. I started to take gaviscon (liquid) after I eat which helps. I also notice if I have pudding after eating it helps soothe my throat. I also eat with a warm cup of tea with honey. I had a really bad episode last night after trying to eat a chicken salad sandwich. It felt like I was choking on it for hours and today I am on all liquids as my throat still hasnt recovered. My Dr explains it to me that food really isnt stuck but that it just feels that way because my esophagus is so irritated although sometimes I wonder because it really does feel like food is stuck. Its scary especially at night I slept sitting up all last night.

Yeah it's scary stuff. I had a consultation w. GI doctor who said it sounds like esophagitis, my endoscopy is scheduled for May 8th. I'm pretty confident that I have esophagitis caused by candida so I've been taking a pill I found online called canxida, it's an antifungal. I've also been drinking probiotics, aloe vera juice, apple cider vinegar, digestive enzymes, and chamomile tea. I'm able to swallow eggs and beans now. I noticed when I don't take the claritin, I have extra trouble swallowing so I guess I have a combination of allergies and esophagitis???

Old 04-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
    LawChick1986
    (female)

LawChick1986 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeybreath View Post
    Yeah it's scary stuff. I had a consultation w. GI doctor who said it sounds like esophagitis, my endoscopy is scheduled for May 8th. I'm pretty confident that I have esophagitis caused by candida so I've been taking a pill I found online called canxida, it's an antifungal. I've also been drinking probiotics, aloe vera juice, apple cider vinegar, digestive enzymes, and chamomile tea. I'm able to swallow eggs and beans now. I noticed when I don't take the claritin, I have extra trouble swallowing so I guess I have a combination of allergies and esophagitis???
    When you dont take your claritin I wonder if you are suffering from post nasal drip which can make your throat feel worse? I hope you get better answers once you have the endoscopy. After I had mine it felt good to know there was a real reason why I was feeling how I did since some Dr's tried to pass it off as I was imagining all this. I tell ya when and if I ever get to the point again where I can just swallow my food without a care in the world I am not going to take it for granted!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
    monkeybreath
    (female)

monkeybreath HB User

I think that my dr. (She's an intern really ) jumped to the worst possible conclusion of what my issue was instead of ruling out allergies and I know people will call me crazy but I feel like the prilosec caused the constant belching. It had to be allergies because the claritin has helped my swallowing significantly. Were you diagnosed with esophagitis? If so, what was/is the treatment for it? I'm just really curious
    I fear the only thing they're going to do is tell me to take more prilosec 😣
    I refuse to take that.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
    LawChick1986
    (female)

LawChick1986 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeybreath View Post
    I think that my dr. (She's an intern really ) jumped to the worst possible conclusion of what my issue was instead of ruling out allergies and I know people will call me crazy but I feel like the prilosec caused the constant belching. It had to be allergies because the claritin has helped my swallowing significantly. Were you diagnosed with esophagitis? If so, what was/is the treatment for it? I'm just really curious
    I fear the only thing they're going to do is tell me to take more prilosec 😣
    I refuse to take that.
    Yes I was and the treatment from gastro was just a PPI. The endoscopy should clear things up too bad it's not until May. What type of esophagitis does he think you have? I have reflux esophagitis. Have you heard of eosinophilic esophagitis? That can be caused by food and pollen allergies. I think the gastro can do biopsy to check there are also blood test that can be done. I'm not sure how well PPI's work for people who have eosinophilc type.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
    monkeybreath
    (female)

monkeybreath HB User

He briefly stated that it could be an allergy. He wasn't very informative =/ I felt like my consultation was rushed. Everything I know is through internet research. Doctors say not to Google your symptoms but screw that! I found out that I have a candida overgrowth thanks to the Internet. I had thrush on my tongue for about 3 years! and even told my internist about it, she wasn't concerned about it so I figured I had nothing to worry about. Every time I had a symptom and googled it, it always led back to candida. For example, constant dandruff, itchy nether region's (lol) smelly armpits that become resistant to deodorants, ringworm. ... The list goes on. So I'm willing to bet that this esophagitis (if that's what I have) is due to the candida overgrowth. When I went to an appointment, I saw a different doctor that day and I told him about the thrush on my tongue so he prescribed nyastin (antifungal ) and my swallowing was better in those 3 days that I took the medicine. When I went back for more (I was only given a 3 day supply) I saw yet another doctor from the clinic who refused to give me more antifungal because she was adamant that I was suffering from allergies and told me to get claritin. After that appointment I researched natrual remedies for candida and found the pills that I'm taking now, and the raw apple cider vinegar. I feel about 60% better. I still can only eat a very limited range of foods but I think it's more nerves now than anything else. If the biopsy reveals that my condition is caused by anything other than candida I'm willing to give another PPI a try, just not prilosec.

Closed Thread