It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• QUESTIONS- Starting Accutane

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #1
    jetskifolks
    (male)

jetskifolks HB User
    QUESTIONS- Starting Accutane

I know that Accutane causes a breakout within the first few weeks of treatment. My question is what exactly happens during these first few weeks?
    I've heard that the oil glands push out all of the excess **** in my pores, so will my existing whiteheads and blackheads turn into pimples? Will my skin get really oily within the first few weeks? Describe to me your initial breakout and first few weeks of treatment on Accutane. I'm just worried about my whiteheads turning into pimples (which there are a lot of). Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
    liddlmiddle

liddlmiddle HB User
    Re: QUESTIONS- Starting Accutane

I've been on Roaccutane, and if I could go back in time I would have said no and not taken it. IMO it's a horrible drug- causes bad dryness and made my eyes swell up (people were asking if I had been punched) which made me need catabolic steroids. My sister has also been on it and got nosebleeds. I think the side effects were much worse than the acne itself.

The acne does get better towards the end of the treatment yes, but once the course is finished the acne soon came back anyway.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: QUESTIONS- Starting Accutane

Unfortunately, I have to agree with both of you. When I was on accutane, not only did my acne get worse for about 3 months- and yes, every pore had a pimple even though it didnt when I started...but my skin got SO DRY that it was literally peeling off my face. I had to avoid any type of sunshine for a year, this included keeping my face covered in the car and I am an outside (on the road) salesperson most of the week....Even doing everything they told me to do, I wound up on steroids because my face swelled so badly.

After almost a year, my skin cleared up. I was amazed at how much better it looked...until about 3 months after I stopped the drug, then it was worse than ever.

I wish I had never done this drug. It managed to screw up my neurological system as well....but thats another story. My life and health were fine until I did the accutane route.

5 years later I discovered IPL lasers. They shrink the sebaceous glands in your skin. I had 3 rounds of IPL lasers done in a medical office and my skin has never broken out badly again. I may get a hormonal pimple now and then, but they go away in a week and its NOTHING like when I was on Accutane.

Expect the worst in the first few weeks...and no matter what you are prepared for, nothing can prepare you for the dryness of your eyes, lips and mouth which accompany the taking of the drug.

Reply Reply

Tags
    accutane, blackheads, breakout, isotretinoin, whiteheads