It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Advice for my 7 year acne please

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #1
    Cerisethebeast
    (female)

Cerisethebeast HB User
    Unhappy Advice for my 7 year acne please

Hey everyone. I know y'all aren't doctors but I'd really love some advice for clearing up my acne. I've had acne starting from teenage years of course. Now I'm 20. I'm thinking it's genetic because my mom had acne as well (until it magically cleared up when she became pregnant and she has had clear skin ever since). My doctor was of absolutely no help, he referred me to a derm who prescribed me 3 antibacterials that didn't work. I've tried various "natural remedies"/tea tree oil/mild glycolic acid cleansers that haven't really changed anything in my skin. After that I tried going dairy-free, but I feel like my skin got worse!

I thought for a while that it could have been my sugar, but limiting that hasn't had much of an effect. I get enough sleep, exercise, and dont stress much either. My makeup is also bareminerals, which is noncomodogenic for the most part. My current acne regimen includes cleansing, toning, moisturizing my face and a few antibacterial face masks once in a while that only assist in making my skin feel smoother.

I'm at a point where I'm almost positive that my acne is hormonal. After doing my own research- I think I'm suffering from an excess of androgens in my system. I've had oily skin and hair forever! Around my period, my acne sometimes actually clears up a little but it varies a lot. I'm at a point where I really don't know what to do, I'm just tired of trying products and I don't want to wait to get pregnant like my mom. Any advice?

-and please don't suggest birth control, I know it can clear up acne but I'm not willing to risk the side effects. I'd rather deal with my acne than take birth control.

Side note-my acne is moderately severe, cystic, all over my cheeks, and heals slowly

Last edited by Cerisethebeast; 03-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Cerisethebeast:
    movielover40 (03-14-2017)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Advice for my 7 year acne please

IF you have cystic acne; it needs to be treated differently than regular acne. I suffered with cystic acne for 10 years of my life..

I tried every antibiotic- every topic ointment- going natural, not wearing any makeup (by the way, bare minerals has talc in it, which can irritate allot of people and alot of people are allergic to it which makes acne worse so try another makeup, like clinique which has nothing irritating in it).

Eventually I started laser treatments. I had IPL lasers done to my face. 5 treatments, 4 weeks apart. It was the only thing that shrunk the sebaceous glands (oil glands) to help me stop breaking out. It lasted about 5 years and I went back and had it done again...its been 8 years and I have never had another cyst. IT was expensive, they only took cash payments and I had to put it on care credit (a credit card they offered) but I would do it all over again.

Look for a derm who offers lasers OR a medical spa which specializes in lasers...see what they suggest.

Best,
    MSNik

Old 03-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #3
    Cerisethebeast
    (female)

Cerisethebeast HB User

Thanks for that MSNik. I didn't want to get a lasik treatment because of the cost of course. I would also hope that I wouldn't haven't to take such drastic measures to get better skin, but thanks for the option.

Old 03-05-2017, 07:34 PM   #4
    MissBree
    (female)

MissBree HB User

Google NEEM. Wouls suggest zero sugar as it is bad for insides! It can give inner body yeast infections. That alone can cause many side effects to inclde acne. Neem can be found at a local Indian store. Oil, poders and capsules if they have the leaves, seep them in pure water drink several times a day. Its bitter, smells not so good but medicinal properties are AMAZING. Your toner..throw away. Get MEEM cleanser, rinse. Use a gentle circular srub of baking soda and water. Rinse. If very severe...you can dab peroxide and after 5 mins, rinse. Then apply a honey mask for 20 mins. If you can get Manuaka honey..expensive but the best. Otherwise get honey from local farmers market or virgin honey. Not whats sold in grocery. Let set 20 mins. Rinse warm water. Then apply NEEM oil direct. Go to sleep. Wash in morning with NEEM cleanser. Moisturise with a tiny dab virin coconut oil and dab of NEEM oil or cream. Do the baking soda, peroxide twice a week. You will see healthy results soon. Also, tumeric capsuls along with NEEM and B vitamins daily. Would highly suggest reading THE GRAIN BRAIN by Dr. Perlmutter. Highly! Whole grains and wheat may be adversely affecting your skin. Be positive, patient and happy. Best to you

Old 03-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
    liddlmiddle

liddlmiddle HB User

I believe acne is genetic, it runs in my family- both parents used to have it and myself and my siblings have all had trouble with it and have tried all sorts. Meanwhile there are plenty people who get little exercise and virtually live on takeaways with clear skin. IMO it's definitely genetic.

And the cycle will continue- I have a nephew and niece and their parents both had really bad acne and I just know without a doubt once they hit puberty bad acne is going to hit them hard unless there is some sort of treatment breakthrough in the next decade.

Personally I find my acne gets worse if I eat a lot of sugar or if I get really stressed.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Stress and both sugar and carbs are triggers for acne. Avoiding them will help acne considerably but not "cure" it.
    You are correct that there is a genetic component to acne; if your parents had it, you have a good chance of having it. The same applies to wether or not you grow out of it, or continue with it throughout your lifetime.

There are breakthroughs which were not available ten years ago. Lasers used for acne can help decrease sebum production, diminishing clogged pores and are being used more and more often in dermatologist's offices. Drugs which were not available 10 years ago are available which help decrease breakouts, but come with risks..new Blue light masks are on the market and blue light DOES help kill the bacteria which causes breakouts. You can also buy handheld devices which actually do help, but you need to use them regularly to see any improvement.

The biggest problem acne sufferer's have is that they go from the wrong drug like Benzoil Peroxide to another drug like Salacylic Acid and back and forth between the two drugs (used topically in acne washes/ lotions/ creams) and do not stick with the correct one for long enough. Another mistake is drying out the skin too much, causing additional oil production and more breakouts. The best way to work on an acne problem is to work with a dermatologist and use products correctly.
    Hope this helps!

Old 03-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User

Be sure your not irritating your skin.

Best to use a gentle wash and a non irritating face cream for starters.

Best of luck to you.

Reply Reply

Tags
    acne