It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Years after benzoyl peroxide, still have bad damage

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
liddlmiddle

liddlmiddle HB User
Years after benzoyl peroxide, still have bad damage

In early 2009 I was prescribed Duac gel (containing BP) for acne. Prior to this my only skin complaint was acne, no dryness or anything.

Over 2009 I noticed my skin get dry, then red and dry. But because this was on the list of reported side effects I kept using it. It wasn't until the end of 2009 I decided the side effects were so bad I stopped using it. But unfortunatley the effects didn't stop- my facial skin would just peel all over and everyone would ask if I was sunburned.

8 years later (and 7 years since stopped using it) still have problems and it has completely ruined my life. People used to really nice to me now people will barely look at me.

Been to GP and a few dermatologists. Been prescribed hydrocortisone cream, diprobase and epaderm but none seem to help any.

What I've noticed is no GP or dermatologist will admit the damage is caused by BP- they all tell me the side effects go away when you stop using it. But I am certain the damage is most definitely caused by the BP.

After all these years I'm not sure if it's made any progress at all in healing by itself and I really don't know if there is anything that can help me.

If I rub my face gently with a finger it will break up the skin that is really how fragile it is now.

I drink plenty of water and abstain from alcohol.

Last edited by Administrator; 03-07-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
liddlmiddle

liddlmiddle HB User
Re: Years after benzoyl peroxide, still have bad damage

I have my acne under control, trimethoprim antibiotics (not commonly prescribed to treat acne but the government has approved them for acne) with a low sugar diet is keeping my face clear.

I generally don't really wash my face at all, it's just too fragile to handle almost anything. I do remember asking a dermatologist I saw if hygiene was related to acne and his reply was that it wasn't- showers and running warm water are modern conveniences we've only had in the past century at most. Before that people used to have a bath once a week (if that) and not have acne trouble.

My skin care regime is basically very gently applying diprobase at night, and about once a week I use Eucerin anti-redness concealer.

I was wondering if anyone here was familiar with the damage benzoyl peroxide (BP) can cause and recovering after it? I have been reading online BP can cause something called free radicals in the skin, and so can lots of unprotected sun exposure. Free radicals are basically atoms missing an electron and thus are very unstable and can cause damage. If this is the cause of my damage then it is likely the damage is similar to extreme sunburn. Although it doesn't really peel but is more flaky. I also read the "antidote" to free radicals is anti-oxidants. Anyone have knowledge of this and would a diet high in antioxidants and a moisturiser with antioxidants be what I need?

Old 03-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
liddlmiddle

liddlmiddle HB User

Surely there must be something a dermatologist can do? I've had whatever it is for 8 years now, and I've been using diprobase (the clear greasy type) for a year and a half now. And looking at my skin under a bright light the top layer just looks totally destroyed like it's been chemically burnt or something. A lot of people won't look at me at all and it's really affecting my mental health, my happiness and my life.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-16-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
liddlmiddle

liddlmiddle HB User

Would coconut oil be appropriate to use on skin damaged by benzoyl peroxide?

Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM   #5
Alliloz
(female)

Alliloz HB User

Well coconut oil is actaully a good idea. It's cheap and has many reports of people using it successfully to clear up or help skin conditions. I've used it myself in my hair when I get an irritated scalp and it works for me. Your condition sounds like a tough one to deal but when the doctors aren't providing solutions experimenting is next logical step.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #6
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Look into grapeseed oil. Its less oily than coconut oil, has anti inflammatory properties and has been known to help with acne. You can buy it at a health food store.

I use it on my face every night and my skin looks great! I have had adult acne for years, and before that went through everything from accutane to laser surgery on my face trying to keep acne at bay. Nothing worked...now, using this oil every night really seems to help!

Reply Reply