It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Going off OrthoCyclen, what will happen with acne?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
crimsonlies78

crimsonlies78 HB User
Question Going off OrthoCyclen, what will happen with acne?

I have been on Ortho-Cyclen for about 8 months now. I love the fact that it almost instantly changed my acne. I went from horrible breakouts to smaller bumps. Recently though, my acne has been getting worse, big red marks that take weeks to go away, instead of little bumps. I am thinking of going off the OrthoCyclen because I am getting tired of taking the pills, and I'm not even sexually active right now, so it's a big waste of money for me. I pay $40/month for the pills.
My question is what changes might occur in my skin? Has anyone gone off OrthoCyclen or other BCP and not seen a change for the worse in their acne?
Thanks so much

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2003, 08:57 PM   #2
SpangledWinter

SpangledWinter HB User
I had a bad reaction when I stopped taking OTC. I quit taking it because it got to be too much when I didnt have insurance. My face was ok until about month 5 of being off of it. Then all hell broke loose. When I got insurance again, I started it back up just so my face would be clear again. Im now on month 5 of being on it again and its barely making a difference.

Old 02-21-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
Sunshine709
(female)

Sunshine709 HB User
Hi there.. i too was on Ortho .. i just went off it last month when i thought that i was pregnant.. ever since then my face has gone retardet.. im broke out more now than ever i think.. i dont mean to scare you but make sure that you have some kind of substitute for acne before going off the BCP... i have tried everything to calm my face down and every day a few new pimples keeps popping up.. im thinking of going on Diane 35 when i go to my doc..

Old 02-22-2003, 10:18 PM   #4
strawberry2003

strawberry2003 HB User
I really would not recommend going off of it. For 40$$ a month it is worth clear skin. Ortho cleared me up for over a year. when i moved I started breaking out again and I switched to diane 35 which is working quite well. Switching B\c pills or going off of them can wreck havoc on your face. Hope this helps

Old 02-26-2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Calisia

Calisia HB User
I agree with strawberry. Going off BCPs can be really bad for your skin. I have been taking BCP since I was 19 -I am 23 now- and I had to quit a few times and I experienced bad breakouts and painful periods in each of them. If you really really need to stop, then I recommend taking a Vitex Supplement. It is an herb that regulates your hormones. It is recommended in Germany by doctors for this purpose.

------------------
Peace!

Old 02-26-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
lanalane

lanalane HB User
In most places you can get free birth control from the county health department. Here if you take a prescription from your doc they'll give it for free. You might need to tell them that you are sexually active even if you aren't so they'll do it.
just a thought....

Old 02-27-2003, 08:00 AM   #7
merlynne12
Inactive

merlynne12 HB User
I *thought* that any BC would clear up acne (at least, that's what I've read).

When I started ortho tri cyclen, I was on it for 6 months with no improvement. It wasn't till I got a retin-a prescription that things really improved. I have recently switched to a different birth control pill (low-ogestrel). I still use the topical prescriptions. I too was worried that my skin would go bad, but I read on Web MD that any birth control will improve acne.

Interestingly enough, in the few days I've been off Ortho and taking low-ogestrl, my face is not as swollen. (Water retention - in my cheeks!) Weird. Skin is oily though, but I believe that's due to stress and lack of sleep.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:20 PM   #8
Xia
(female)

Xia HB User
I can't speak for everybody (obviously, hehe), but the other month I started my Yasmin a week late after my period (due to problems with my mail order pharmacy) and started breaking out in that short time.

Closed Thread