It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Longterm antibiotic use for acne

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #1
    OldH
    (female)

OldH HB User
    Longterm antibiotic use for acne

Hi there. I'm seeking advice because I don't have a lot of faith in what my doctor just told me. I have had oily skin and acne for about 27 years. It started when I was maybe 20 years old. I never had problems of any kind in my childhood nor teen years. It progressively got worse. I wanted to wear a bag on my head. I tried several things prescribed by several dermatologists. Nothing worked until I was prescribed an oral antibiotic. I have been on Cephalexin (Keflex) 500 mg capsules, 1 cap 3 times per day for 15 - 20 years straight. I never wanted to go back to wanting to wear a bag on my head again. I have noticed over the years that if I forget a dose that I will break out in the next few days. Well, now I've been reading more and am very concerned about what this prolonged use may do to my future health. I messaged my doctor to guide me on how to safely taper down the dose so that I can eventually stop using them. He stated that I can just stop, and there's no need to taper down. I have been on these for close to 2 decades! I can't imagine that it would be wise to just stop altogether!! Has anyone had experience with this that could give me some advice? I would truly appreciate it!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply