It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Spiro users, please update

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2003, 03:02 PM   #1
    Calisia

Calisia HB User
    Post Spiro users, please update

I recently started taking 50 mg. spiro along with Ortho-Tri. I had used BCP before and had to quit three months ago, which seemed to trigger the current breakouts that I am having. I would like to know other people's experiences with spiro. I know that the board has discussions about spiro but I haven't seen any long-term updates, like 3 months to a year.
    Any successful spiro users, can you tell how it worked for you? What else did you do/take? And how many milligrams did you take?
    Also is it true that the spiro will take effect sooner than the BCP? I am starting them at the same time, and I would like to know which one is working for me.
    Thank you in advance!!

------------------
    Peace!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2003, 03:07 PM   #2
    cherilyn

cherilyn HB User
    i have been on every antibiotic, cream, gel you can think of to help my cystic acne. some worked for a while while others did nothing. after dealing with acne for 15 years (i'm 32 now) i finally found my cure. it's spiro 100%. i have been on it now for 5 months and have been cyst free for about 3 months. it took awhile to see the improvement, but once spiro kicked in, it had amazing results. i was so close to going on accutane but i pushed my gyno to let me try the spiro first. i can honestly say i have the best skin since i was a child. i continue to take 100 mg around the time of my period, then after my period, i go back down to 75 mg. i was going to take yasmin with it but changed my mind because i have had acne problems with bcp before. so i just take the spiro and i'm 100% happy with the results. please let me know how you are doing. if you have any questions, please let me know

[This message has been edited by cherilyn (edited 02-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by cherilyn (edited 02-26-2003).]

Old 02-26-2003, 03:16 PM   #3
    Calisia

Calisia HB User
    Cheryln,
    I am really happy for you and thank you so much for your update. It took time for me to find out about spiro, my derm doesn't seem to be too found of it but I tried most things out there-including Accutane- so I am hoping this could help. I had breakouts with some BCP like Triphasil and Demulen but Ortho-Tri seemed to be good for me. I need it for protection too.
    Anyway, take care and I hope that your skin only gets better in the future.

------------------
    Peace!

Old 02-26-2003, 11:35 PM   #4
    kristivera

kristivera HB User
    well, ivebeen on spiro for about 6 weeks now, i think, but im still sort of waiting to see if its the answer for me. if i dont see more improvements in the next few weeks, its on to accutane so im hoping it will start to kick in soon!
    cherilyn, how long before you saw results hon?

Old 02-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #5
    SasseySue

SasseySue HB User
    Hey Calisia,
    I've been taking 50mg of Spiro everyday for a little over a year. It took exactly a year to finally kick in.
    I haven't have a cyst in 2 months. I did try Accutane, but I couldn't tolerate it, so I just stuck with the
    Spiro. My gyno gave me Yasmin, but she told me that I would have to go off the Spiro in order to take it. I decided to not try the Yasmin because I was afraid of the initial breakout. For the first time in a very long time I have no bumps, but I'm left with red marks that I'm so desperately trying to get rid of. Just try and be patient, the Spiro does work.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:35 AM   #6
    SasseySue

SasseySue HB User
    Hey Calisia,
    I've been taking 50mg of Spiro everyday for a little over a year. It took exactly a year to finally kick in.
    I haven't have a cyst in 2 months. I did try Accutane, but I couldn't tolerate it, so I just stuck with the
    Spiro. My gyno gave me Yasmin, but she told me that I would have to go off the Spiro in order to take it. I decided to not try the Yasmin because I was afraid of the initial breakout. For the first time in a very long time I have no bumps, but I'm left with red marks that I'm so desperately trying to get rid of. Just try and be patient, the Spiro does work.

Old 02-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #7
    shygirl72

shygirl72 HB User
    Cheryln - do u find you are getting your period closer together without the BCP to regulate it. I am taking 200mg/day (have been for about 6 weeks) and I think I am going to be getting a period every 20 days or so. This is what has happened so far.

Any tips or advice appreciated.
    Thanks

Old 02-27-2003, 01:18 PM   #8
    Calisia

Calisia HB User
    I recommend birth control pills to spiro users. I have always used BCP to regulate my periods, that are painful, irregular and heavy. Also, in the long-term it benefits your skin, you tend to have less breakouts. I know that a lot of people don't want to take them due to side effects. I understand that, but individual responses vary. I never had an initial break-out with Yasmin and I lost weight on Ortho-Tri. Why do you think, doctors don't recommend taking Yasmin with Spiro? I thought it would be good since Yasmin's progestin acts like spiro.
    Also, did anyone experience mild itching and itchy red bumps like 8-10 hours after taking spiro? I had that last night, I had taken the spiro in the morning. I was wondering if it could be a reaction to spiro.
    Thanks!

------------------
    Peace!

Old 03-04-2003, 07:14 PM   #9
    anj2002

anj2002 HB User
    hi Calisia
    I've been taking spironlactone for 10 years now
    my acne started when i was 16yrs old and on going problem for many years, then i saw an endocrinologist, and she suggested for me to try spiro i was 20 then, since then my acne stopped. now i've never get acne unless if i forget to take spiro 1 day then i break out with a pimple, other than that i'm happy. And so far its working for me. I'm not sure how long i'll have to take spiro, but i'll keep taking it long as i need too.
    currently i'm taking 200 mg of Spiro, + Provera 10 mg,16 tabs a month to keep my period in check.

Closed Thread