It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Breakout after one month of being off Accutane

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-20-2003, 03:54 PM   #1
    pooche

pooche HB User
    Breakout after one month of being off Accutane

I was on a course of 4 month accutane of 40mg a month. I have already had a breakout. My forehead is full of little pimples and both sides of my face. I had very persistand acne before I started accutane but the accutane took care of my acne within weeks, no initial breakout. My derm said that maybe I did not stay on it long enough. He does not want to put me on it again for a while, he perscribed Neostrata with 2percent clindomycin.

I lived without acne for 3 months it was the best of my life, I do not know if I could deal with it all again. Has this happened to anybody before and how long did you have to wait before going back on Accutane.

Any advise for the desperate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2003, 09:58 PM   #2
    NYKID
    Veteran

NYKID HB User
    Re: Breakout after one month of being off Accutane

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pooche
    I was on a course of 4 month accutane of 40mg a month. I have already had a breakout. My forehead is full of little pimples and both sides of my face. I had very persistand acne before I started accutane but the accutane took care of my acne within weeks, no initial breakout. My derm said that maybe I did not stay on it long enough. He does not want to put me on it again for a while, he perscribed Neostrata with 2percent clindomycin.

I lived without acne for 3 months it was the best of my life, I do not know if I could deal with it all again. Has this happened to anybody before and how long did you have to wait before going back on Accutane.

Any advise for the desperate.

Usually accutane is taken for 6 months, and normally 80mgs a day depedning on weight. How much do you weigh cause 40mg isnt a lot and i havent heard that 4 months isnt the normal duration for accutane.

If its really makign u that upset go back on, i did that back in 99 5 months on probelm with insurence ofr a month then i went back on it and my face was fine.

Good luck!

Old 11-20-2003, 11:46 PM   #3
    Andrew29
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Andrew29 HB User
    Re: Breakout after one month of being off Accutane

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYKID
    Usually accutane is taken for 6 months, and normally 80mgs a day depedning on weight. How much do you weigh cause 40mg isnt a lot and i havent heard that 4 months isnt the normal duration for accutane.
    A regular dosage is between 20-25 weeks. However, there is no "normal" dosage. It completely depends on the patient and how they respond. Some people will have great success with 40mg/day while others may have little success at 80mg/day. I was up to 120mg/day and I only weigh 130lbs. You'd think I'd be clear for decades at that dosage!

I've taken Accutane 3 times. Currently on my 4th. Each time, I retook Accutane about 4 months after I stopped. I think it's medically 6-8 weeks you have to wait before you can take it again.

Closed Thread