It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Ok. Let's Just Say Food Does Effect On Your Skin. What The Heck Am I Suppose To Eat?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-25-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
    pvshyboy7

pvshyboy7 HB User
    Ok. Let's Just Say Food Does Effect On Your Skin. What The Heck Am I Suppose To Eat?

OK. first of all, i dont think food matters when it comes to acne. BUT let's just say yes, it DOES make me break out. what the hell am i suppose to eat? some people told me to eat salads everyday.. but then some people saids vegitables make you break out. i mean what the hell. WHAT AM I SUPPOSE TO EAT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2003, 10:42 PM   #2
    blondiebiker

blondiebiker HB User
    Re: Ok. Let's Just Say Food Does Effect On Your Skin. What The Heck Am I Suppose To Eat?

lol-
    everyone is different to some degree in how they digest different things. You might take a peek at the glycemic index to see how food affects insulin and hormone secretion.
    You might read about fragrances in soaps affecting some ...
    or yeast,
    or allergy,
    or
    or
    or
    everyone is different..food is a good tool to play with though as a lot will find skin/hair/nails/ how they feel can be improved with a good diet...which is different to everyone...how about...moderation is key in all aspects of life/food and living, and you are what you eat....put a big fat greasy pototoe chip in your mouth too often, you'll find you might become a greasy salty one......

Old 11-25-2003, 10:56 PM   #3
    anoldone
    Inactive

anoldone HB User
    Re: Ok. Let's Just Say Food Does Effect On Your Skin. What The Heck Am I Suppose To Eat?

read the information on acne at [removed]. you will have a good understanding of how food is a factor in acne.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-26-2003 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Do not post websites here. Only product names are allowed.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:57 AM   #4
    pvshyboy7

pvshyboy7 HB User

i didnt ask about 'how it plays an important role in acne'. im trying to figure out stuff i can eat. im a 17 year teenage boy who is in tracks/soccer team. i cant do anything without food. and salads dont help either. i need some Real food.

Old 11-26-2003, 06:58 AM   #5
    justaguy1

justaguy1 HB User

There is so much argument over the "right" foods to eat and the reason why everyone breaks out from different ones is because NONE of them are supposed to be eaten. The diet of man is fruit, and nothing else.

Once you can get on a 100% fruit diet and clean your system through fasts you will have more energy and strength and endurance than anyone on your team, and never be tired.

I know that is unrealistic for u at this point so it is hard to say. Eat natural PB with celery, eat chicken with salad, try to fast if you can...

Old 11-26-2003, 09:11 AM   #6
    ErimusValidus
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ErimusValidus HB User

I disagree. I run a lot and there's no way I could survive on fruit alone. There's so little to burn compared to complex carbohydrates. An active body needs these things. Yeah, chicken is a good substitute for a while but it's not a long-term option.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:40 AM   #7
    anoldone
    Inactive

anoldone HB User

"im trying to figure out stuff i can eat"
    I know and the information at [removed] will help you determine what you can an can't eat. There is an elimination diet you follow for one to two weeks. then you start adding one food at a time. It's not easy but it works

Last edited by moderator2; 11-26-2003 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Do not post websites here. Only product names are allowed.

Old 11-26-2003, 11:10 AM   #8
    blondiebiker

blondiebiker HB User

okay...the glycemic is a list of foods but in theory...
    you would not eat too many breads or grains, you would try to eat multi-grain carbs..like wheat bread made with real grains not just white bread that is dyed brown, you would stay away from sugars that are like in candy and cakes, but fruit would be a natural occuring sugar, you would eat meats, but avoid fried types as the batter mixes used vary and you might find you react to different spices and additives...if milk seems to bother you try cutting it out but still have cheese or yogurt..if they still seem to affect then try taking them out too.
    try and avoid soda and drink lots of water....juices that are void of "corn syrups" if you can..fresh veggies easy rule of thumb avoid yellow colored veggies...corn is high in carbs, but also fiber...you can get fiber elsewhere in your diet, but I have found easier to teach newbies to just stay away from yellow veggies and they make better choices until they master reading index and after they have decided what they feel is contributing to their skin...some find they just dont drink any water and when add 32oz(minimal rule of thumb, should have more, and just a guide I pass on, 64oz is what is would be best as minimal, but some just hate water and have to work into it)...anyway some find skin is fine just by adding water..
    try and avoid fast foods and learn to read labels.
    is that better help?

Old 11-26-2003, 11:27 AM   #9
    sunfell
    Inactive

sunfell HB User

pvshyboy7

It is not so much what you eat, but what you must not eat. You must not eat, and I really mean it, IF YOU WANT TO COMPLETELY CURE YOUR ACNE you MUST NOT EAT: DAIRY PRODUCTS and products containing dairy (casein, lactose, and its derivitives), cooked with dairy, etc. you must not eat Hydrogenated oils, or products containing hydrogenated or heated oils, refined sugars, refined grains, denatured or fortified foods.

you may have certain foods that you notice aggrivate your acne, but eliminating these is not a sure fire way to get rid of your acne, as they may be simply high in natural sugars which can cause inflammation but do not cause acne. Getting rid of the above foods I mention which cause your acne will eliminate your acne. The choice is yours. I cured my acne and everyone I know who has tried this diet has cured theirs. I took this diet from people who have cured their acne through it. It is a compilation of everything and it works. For further elaboration and more details you can refer to my post under "acne is caused by diet."

Old 11-26-2003, 07:02 PM   #10
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

HI PVSHYBOY7

My recommendation is to include fruits and vegetables, particularly selecting foods that are dark leafy greens (spinach salads), yellow veggies, such as squash, carrots, yams (source of Vit. A), apples, grapes, radishes--whatever you like in the produce section-- Eat tomatoes, a good source of lycopene and other vitamins. Eat potatoes--mashed, baked. Wash all produce well.

If you like it, eat celery. If you notice when you bite it, it numbs the tongue just a touch. Celery is good for calming one down.

If you like them, add garlic and onion to your recipes. They boost the immune system.

For breakfast, include shredded wheat, oatmeal, bagel with a topping you like

Avoid salty foods. Moderation is the key so don't deprive yourself. If you want to socialize eat from the veggie plate and have some dip but avoid the salty, salty chips. Too much salt triggers acne. If you can, substitute nuts for chips. Nuts at least are healthy for you.

Try flavored yogurts for snacks.

You're a growing teen so eat protein. Hard boiled eggs, protein drinks, chicken and turkey--include the meats you like in your meals. Try to avoid fast food.
    With regards to turkey and chicken meat, you can prepare your own wholesome and tasty sandwiches. (Your family will love you too for this). It's easy to do!

I buy chicken breasts and boil four to five of them. Once done, I either shredd the meat and make a chicken salad adding celery, diced pickles, and little mayo (you need some fat so your skin does not get excessively dry). I top it with a tomato and lettuce--preferably dark leafy green or even kale. (Kale by itself isn't so hot but it is a good source of calcium so I mix it in foods. Kale and apples are good for juicing if you're into that). Wal-mart has an inexpensive version of the Juiceman juicer if you want to go that far by juicing veggies and fruits. You don't have to go this length)

My husband loves this sandwich: We take the whole chicken breast or turkey that was boiled and slice it for sandwiches. Take some buns, butter each side for browning/warming, add mayo or your favorite sandwich spread, add the chicken or turkey, add tomato, add lettuce, and some mild peperonchinis and viola! You have a great healthy sandwich that you prepared! Its delicious!

With regards to getting stuck without a meal or so, have on hand some slimfast drinks. They are okay in a pinch but don't make it a habit to skip meals.

With regards to liquid liabation--drink as much water as possible. Save sodas and other garbage drinks for socializing if you have to drink them at all.

If you eat your meals from food prepared at home, you'll do better all around. By skipping fast food, junk foods, and getting yourself set up with treats that you like so you aren't deprived, you'll do better. I think avoiding extra salt, candies, ice cream, sugary foods, and greasy, greasy foods will help. If you have them once in a blue moon that's okay. You be the best judgment and see how your body reacts.

I hope this is helpful.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #11
    pvshyboy7

pvshyboy7 HB User

man.. guys... i REALLY appreciate for your replies.. but again.. some of you guys are saying that i am not suppose to eat dairy products (yogurts, milk etc) but then some of you guys are saying that i have to eat yogurts and stuff... i really appreciate for your help though. thanks

Old 11-27-2003, 11:00 AM   #12
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User

Hi there!

Your right about the dairy products. I apologize for the confusion but you are a teen that needs calcium so that's why I mentioned apples with kale-juiced and/or adding kale to your sandwiches or however you can manage including it in your diet. Kale and apples are a good source of calcium. So if you skip the milk, cheese, yogurt and other dairy find other sources for calcium.

Add zinc supplements to your diet as well. GNC or Wal-mart have zinc supplements. Good Luck!

Old 11-27-2003, 04:25 PM   #13
    sunfell
    Inactive

sunfell HB User

"man.. guys... i REALLY appreciate for your replies.. but again.. some of you guys are saying that i am not suppose to eat dairy products (yogurts, milk etc) but then some of you guys are saying that i have to eat yogurts and stuff... i really appreciate for your help though. thanks"

Pvshyboy,

Acne is caused by food. I can take no responsibility for what other people say is the dietary cause of acne, but I can take responsibility for what I say it is, because I have cured people of their acne. I have cured mine. I have cured others. You can listen to me, or you can listen to someone who hasn't cured theirs, hasn't cured others, or has never had acne in their life. You can listen to people discuss their theories on why this will work or why it will not, or you can listen to what works. You can listen to theories or you can listen to results. You MUST ELIMINATE dairy. All of it. No way around it. Organic or not. It must go. For futher elaboration refer to "acne is caused by diet." Trust me. I have acne free skin and I want you to have it too.

Old 11-27-2003, 05:22 PM   #14
    joeh
    Senior Veteran

joeh HB User

before i went on accutane way back in 1982 my derm at the time said eat lots of carrots because they have beta carotine in them and thats whats in accutane.now i read posts saying u shouldnt eat carrots.i ate a ton of carrots too and my skin didnt get clear.well its been a year and 2 months and no breakouts and you know what when i see someone else with acne it doesnt bother me at all.the only people that make fun of acne suffers are immature people that should be worring about theirselfs instead of others.its is such a relief to have normal skin after suffering for so long.if i live another 5 years acne free and die its still worth taking the chance on this med.people that never had acne or for just a few years or mild acne just dont know what the severe acne suffers have to go through.a lot is social but my back was so bad i woke up in the morning with blood all over my t-shirts.plus that nobody has simpathy for you either.everyone who is uneducated says ur eating too much junk or dont get a bath.i wish they could go through what i did for so long completely alone since i was 17.i know i stated i wouldnt wish severe acne on my worst enemy but people just dony know what this does to ur self-esteem,confidence ect.plus that if ur a guy you have to suck it all in and not let out how bad you feel inside.

Old 11-27-2003, 05:26 PM   #15
    sunfell
    Inactive

sunfell HB User

trust me, i've been there.

I think acne can be very disabling. It has only recently been given any respect as an ailment. Insurance companies are starting to pick up the tab for restorative treatments, etc

Last edited by sunfell; 11-27-2003 at 05:31 PM.

Closed Thread