It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• considering stopping minocycline

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2003, 01:15 PM   #1
    pixieprincess

pixieprincess HB User
    Post considering stopping minocycline

hey guys-

a little background info- when i first went to a derm, i was put on doxycycline which totally cleared up my skin, but i had to stop taking it because of some weird sensitivity to sunlight. i took another less common acne antibiotic, but since it wasn't helping, my doctor decided to put me on minocycline. at first i took one per day, and i broke out horribly. then i thought taking two per day would help...

i've been on minocycline for over a year and it has not cleared my skin at all. in fact, i kind of THINK that maybe the acne bacteria are resistant to the mino because of the short bout with doxycycline- that's just my theory.

my acne as of now is pretty ok- but that's because of a topical routine i've had for about two or three months. i've been reading up on affects of taking antiobiotics for long periods of time and i'm sure i should stop. but i'm terrified that i'll break out REALLY bad when i stop- even though the minocycline hasn't seemed to help. maybe my body won't be able to fight bacteria at all on its own?

how would i go about stopping? i was thinking maybe cut down to one a day for a while, then take one pill every two days, etc. until i can ween my body off of the mino. i'm so scared, though it's taken a long time to get my skin this decent, and i don't want it to go back to the way it was.

has anyone been in the same situation? or does anyone have any thoughts about the best way to stop taking the mino? how about probiotics- do they help fight off bad bacteria like acne?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
    milquetoast

milquetoast HB User
    I quit minocycline cold turkey. cold poultry. straight up. I had been on the cycline for about 4 months, and decided it wasn't doing anything. In fact, I didn't notice any effect at all. it was as if I was not taking anything. anyways, i am sure that you will be fine if you quit cold turkey. especially if you have a topical regimen that you are confident about.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
    DeeDeeWith3
    Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User
    Question

Pixieprincess,

Just nosey....what is your topical regimen? I agree that you should be ok if you quit...its not working as you say, anyway. Or is it and you dont know it?? I just started mino about 2 weeks ago and I am seeing some clearing of cysts. I hope I dont have to be on it for the long haul but my derm said she would use topicals once it was under control. Good luck, D-

Old 02-17-2003, 04:59 PM   #4
    Sparkle0036

Sparkle0036 HB User
    it's not weird to have sun sensitivity while on doxycycline...i had it, bad too. hats and sunscreen. unless you had a different reaction, i just sunburned worse than normally.

Old 02-18-2003, 09:57 AM   #5
    pixieprincess

pixieprincess HB User
    thanks for the responses

the sun sensitivity that i experienced from doxy was actually a rare type- when the sun hits your fingernails it causes them to split off from the skin. funky.

my topical routine that i've been using is pretty time-consuming. i wash with an all-natural cleanser that has a tiny bit of tea tree oil in it. about every other night i use the pore-refining mask from burt's bees i get at the health food store. at night i apply mira-stat (it's a 7.5% bp cream i've been using for about a month or so) all over and let it dry. i just switched from proactiv's moisturizer to purpose's oil-free (my skin was too flakey which broke me out worse). then i wait a minute and apply 100% pure tea tree oil with a q-tip to any spots. after that dries, i put proactiv's sulfur mask on the same spots (i'm not sure this does anything- sometimes it seems to really help- other times i'm not sure. i used to use proactiv's whole system but it stopped working for me after one year...)

in the morning i wash, then moisturize. i only apply tea tree oil to the spots in the morning if they seem like they might get 'bad', otherwise i leave them alone so the spot doesn't get too dry and brown. then i apply proactiv's concealer (it contains sulfur as well. it doesn't cover up all that well but it's better than nothing- it seems to help with medicating more than anything else). if there's a really red spot i will cover that up with a concealer i have from loreal. i can't remember exactly what it's called but it's the one that's non-acnegenic and has the texture of a powder- i would highly recommend it if you have a spot that you just can't bear to go out in public with.

it's a lot of stuff to do to my skin, i know, and i'm still learning what works/doesn't work with my skin. for me personally- i have to do some intense stuff. not just like 'hello...i'm washing my face'.

by the way, even on the minocycline i still would get cystic acne- and it would be BAD under times of stress (school sucks). that's really what's made me think that the mino must not be helping much if at all. i haven't had a cyst or even a pustule since i've started using the mira-stat. no i don't work for them, but i'm happy with their cream. my skin has been getting better and better over the last month. unfortunately this doesn't help you guys who are sensitive/allergic to benzoyl peroxide.

hope this helps or at least gives some of you some ideas. good luck to you and i'll keep you posted on any updates to my routine.

if anyone else has input re: stopping the mino your advice is appreciated

Old 02-18-2003, 10:11 PM   #6
    milquetoast

milquetoast HB User
    as i said before. quit "refridgerated poultry." it won't do you any harm. i didn't go through any withdrawals.

Old 02-19-2003, 04:43 AM   #7
    Pandabaire

Pandabaire HB User
    Um, my understanding is that Mino is the strongest of the cycline type antibiotics and use of that also gives a person sensitivity to sunlight. In fact, ALL of the antibiotics give out more sensitivity to sunlight and advise you to wear hats, sunscreen, and don't tan inside or out etc.

I don't think your doc should have changed your prescription if you were clear - and at your check up, you doc should have seen that the mino wasn't working for you.

I went off Mino cold turkey too - I was taken off because it caused any acne to eventually turn into ashen grey colored spots on my face so my doctor then put me on Doxy. Tetracycline is the first line of defense usually, then Doxy, and Mino is the big gun.

I dunno.........you either need to go back to your doc, and complain that you've been on mino for a year and nothing has improved, or you need to go to another dermotologist.

I have been to 4 separate doctors at some point about my acne and now it's finally cleared up.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:17 AM   #8
    Tummy

Tummy HB User
    Mino is the strongest Tetracycline. The levels of Antibiotics for acne are as follows...

Weakest
    1. Tetracycline
    2. Doxycycline
    3. Minocycline
    4. Amoxicyllin
    5. Erythromycin
    6. Sulfamethoxazole
    Strongest

These are usually the only antibiotics prescribed for acne, but of course there are others. Azithromycin (Zithromax) works for a lot of people, but shouldn't really be used for acne because it is one of the most effective cold and sinus killers in the world of medicine and should be saved only for such illnesses.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:50 AM   #9
    daddysgurl19

daddysgurl19 HB User
    i have been on tetracycline for about two weeks and my back and face have cleared up completely. except every now and then i will get a few small ones. the first week though i broke out worse than i had ever done. i switched to neutrogena soap like the derm told me so i switched back to dial antibacterial soap and i cleared up right after. i have not been able to see if i have a bad reaction to the sun yet because it is winter here. but i tan easy and don't burn. right before i started this medicine i was going to the tanning bed and i had to stop that so my color is fading. i loveeeeeeeeee the tanning bed. do you think i would have a bad reaction to the sun like other people?

Old 03-11-2003, 08:50 AM   #10
    scouselad1974
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

scouselad1974 HB User
    In the U.K we are generally treated with the following antibiotics for acne
    Oxytetracycline
    Minocycline
    Erythromycin
    Then if they fail supposedly we are given
    Trimethoprim
    If that fails we are then given the strongest antibiotic we are allowed
    Clyndamycin
    Apparantley the drug dapsone is occasionally given as a supplememnt to the antibiotics named above
    I must say though i have never seen a Dr who has prescribed the stronger antibiotics for me.i think next time i see her i will ask about them

Old 03-11-2003, 08:51 AM   #11
    scouselad1974
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

scouselad1974 HB User
    In the U.K we are generally treated with the following antibiotics for acne
    Oxytetracycline
    Minocycline
    Erythromycin
    Then if they fail supposedly we are given
    Trimethoprim
    If that fails we are then given the strongest antibiotic we are allowed
    Clyndamycin
    Apparantley the drug dapsone is occasionally given as a supplememnt to the antibiotics named above
    I must say though i have never seen a Dr who has prescribed the stronger antibiotics for me.i think next time i see her i will ask about them

Old 03-11-2003, 09:05 AM   #12
    MiamiBarbie

MiamiBarbie HB User
    Question

Hi, I just went to my first derm yesterday and got minocycline to take only for nine days, use differin gel at night and some benzaclin for day. It is unbelievably expensive though. I wanted to get on accutane, but he said, I had no cystic acne, but did not even inspect my face. What is cyctic acne? Isn't that the large bumps on your face that stay for months at a time untill you pop them? How did you clear up? Please help...

Closed Thread