It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• minocycline side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-13-2003, 01:11 PM   #1
    pimentel88

pimentel88 HB User
    minocycline side effects

Hi! I have recently stopped taking minocycline (about 2 days ago) because it was causing a large discoloration on my lower lip. I was wondering if anybody knew how long these side effects will last, and if there is anything to speed up the process of normal lip pigmentation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2003, 07:22 PM   #2
    John.

John. HB User
    Smile Re: minocycline side effects

I've used it for over a month and haven't had any side-effects or an initial break-out

Old 12-13-2003, 07:41 PM   #3
    GJ777
    (male)

GJ777 HB User
    Re: minocycline side effects

What color is the discoloration?

I haven't heard of that before.

The only side effect I got was stomach cramps and gas if I didn't drink enough water while taking it.

Supposedly it causes dizziness in some people but I've never had that.

Old 12-13-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
    horsies
    (male)

horsies HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pimentel88
    Hi! I have recently stopped taking minocycline (about 2 days ago) because it was causing a large discoloration on my lower lip. I was wondering if anybody knew how long these side effects will last, and if there is anything to speed up the process of normal lip pigmentation.
    I was on minocycline but had to stop because it caused me to have virtigo symptoms- ( dizzyness, off balance, headheachs ect ) I read in the online dermatology journal that taking vitimin C help to prevent discoloration in people taking minocycline- this happenes because the drug turns purple in the the blood- It said it helps to prevent it I'm not sure if it will speed up the process.

Old 12-13-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
    Alexandra789456

Alexandra789456 HB User

My legs started to get these blue bruiselike discolorations, years later, they're still here but they're fading out. Oh, and you'll break out a great deal in weird places (forehead for example) once you go off of it.. good luck.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
    ace_chick01

ace_chick01 HB User

That's a strange side effect. I used it for about a year and had no side effects. Sorry, can't help you! But you probably should go on something else.

Old 12-13-2003, 09:22 PM   #7
    rippey

rippey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexandra789456
    My legs started to get these blue bruiselike discolorations, years later, they're still here but they're fading out. Oh, and you'll break out a great deal in weird places (forehead for example) once you go off of it.. good luck.
    Alexandra, have your "wierd" breakouts subsided, or have they stuck around after you went off the minocycline?

Old 12-13-2003, 10:45 PM   #8
    Alexandra789456

Alexandra789456 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rippey
    Alexandra, have your "wierd" breakouts subsided, or have they stuck around after you went off the minocycline?
    Well I actually went off of it last Christmas.. and my face was so oily, in all the pics the light's reflecting off of my face it's terrible. And, I broke out on my forehead like crazy and my cheeks too.. I had to go on Accutane to counteract the side effect of going off of Mino. So, Accutane cleared me up, I took it from March-Aug.. but I'm breaking out only in 1 place now and I think it's just the Accutane working.. as I'm totally clear now except for one small "area" (like ths size of a dime) on my cheek whatever that means!! ANyway, eat lots of carrots, avoid milk, go on accutane, and attack any zits you get immediately. That's my regimen. ANd, AVOID Mino!!!! At all costs.

Old 12-14-2003, 08:25 AM   #9
    Amoira

Amoira HB User

I only took mino for 1 week and I have the worst yeast infection I have ever had. I have taken 2 of the prescription oral doses and 2 of the monistat from the drug store and still feel it. This is bad and expensive. Be careful and consider topical antibiotics, though I am a little conserned that topicals might effect yeast too. I asked on the board and nobody responded

Old 12-14-2003, 09:19 AM   #10
    rippey

rippey HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alexandra789456
    Well I actually went off of it last Christmas.. and my face was so oily, in all the pics the light's reflecting off of my face it's terrible.
    That's exactly what I had when trying to stop mino. The oilyness was unbelievable. I'm not sure if it stops shortly after, or why it even happens, but I went back on a low dose (50mg/day) and things went back to normal.

Closed Thread